This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SUV/CROSS OVER ??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SUV/CROSS OVER ??
    Posted: 19 Feb 2020 at 4:37pm
Momma(wifey) is looking into upgrading her '11 Caravan to something "other" than a minivan. She's dead-set on a 3 row seating configuration vehicle that can haul a group of 6-7 with some storage. Towing is NOT a factor. Thanks :-)
Sponsored Links

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2020 at 6:18pm
I'd still get a hitch package. Makes an easy place to grab onto it to tow out of a snowbank.....
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Dennis J OPKs View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dennis J OPKs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2020 at 6:23pm
That's a tough one.  I can only comment from a GM or Ford Explorer standpoint.  Fitting 7 adults into a GM Acadia, Buick Enclave or Chev. Traverse is crowded. You need a second row bench seat and can get 2 smaller people in the 3rd.  There's not a lot of storage behind that 3rd row.

My son has a Ford Explorer with second row bench and it probably has more room in the 3rd row and the storage behind it.  Beyond that you're into full size Suv's--  Chev Tahoe or Ford Expedition and those are getting really pricey if you're looking new.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2020 at 6:41pm
WE had Caravans when the kids were 10-15 years old... After that they told MOM to stop driving a Grandma car... so we got a 2002 FORD Explorer.. Plenty of room for the kids in 2 and 3rd rows... Not so much for adults......... Kids left and we got a FORD EDGE.. Nice  Crossover, but only 2 rows of seats.... Now the grandkids and 10 years old and Grandma NEEDS a station wagon......... So last month we bought a FORD FLEX... FORDS answer to the old station wagon.. Its a little boxy for some, but it grows on you. Gets 21 MPG around town and 24 MPG on the highway. Second row will hold passengers 6 ft 4 inch tall easy.. Third row is OK if your under 5 ft 10 inch...Still has probably 18 inches of storage behind the 3rd row. Fits us real good at this time... Son has a Lincoln Navigatoor that cost 2-3 times as much, same room inside, and gets 2/3 the gas mileage......... all depends on what you want.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2020 at 8:14pm
X2 on the Explorer. Wife has a 2012 Escape and loves it but it only sits four comfortably.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
jiminnd View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jiminnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2020 at 8:15pm
Maybe no Dodge fans here but I am on my second Durango, both had three seats that were usable, maybe not the most comfortable for six or seven but doable. Like said, if you really need the room you need a Tahoe or Suburban or similar. My son is on his third Suburban and like them and mileage isn't terrible for mph for the size of them. I have a good Dodge dealer and can usually buy for less than other brands.
1945 C, 1949 WF and WD, 1981 185, 1982 8030, unknown D14(nonrunner)
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2020 at 10:37pm
They have open bids on 'retired' mini-school busses.  You'd just have to repaint it and you'd be good to go.  DO NOT tell her you heard it from me!
That IS just a joke. LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Brian F(IL) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian F(IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2020 at 8:09am
We had a Tahoe, then went to a GMC Acadia, then to a Chevy Traverse.  If you want comfortable 6-7 seating, get a Tahoe.  If it's just occasionally, the Acadia or Traverse will work, and a lot cheaper too.  FWIW...
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2020 at 8:53am
3 row comfortable for 6-7 people get a suburban. Or a full sized van savana comes in AWD. I like my mini van drive it every day but if I'm goin ing to be taking people with I take the suburban every time. Took the Girl Scout troop to mineoplis had 8 plus all there luggage and sleeping bags no problem. Once I got them all on the same movie it was a silent trip. It has three DVD players listening to three differant movies was annoying. I only have enough wireless headsets for my two kids. I'm 6' 280 lbs and have no problem riding in any of the seats. The third row is 6" bigger than a Yukon and I still have 4' of luggage space behind it.

Edited by Dakota Dave - 20 Feb 2020 at 8:59am
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2020 at 10:53am
We bought a 2017 Explorer, got all buckets instead of second bench and is only good for 6 average sized adults, where the bench second is very comfy for three. Add luggage and only going to get five with rear seats full down, six if leave one up. Plenty head room and side room in it.
TimCNY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimCNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2020 at 11:24am
Well, maybe not ok to mention foreign-made, but one of my twin grandsons needs a wheelchair and my daughter was looking (also did NOT want a "minivan" lol), after a LOT of looking and researching she settled on a 2016 Honda Pilot with 3-row seating. I was, and AM, very impressed with it. Slapped some GOOD snows on it for her, and it is a huge relief to know she's got a great vehicle. In snow, ice - you barely know it. Just my two cents.
I need more than 200 characters for my "signature." I'd love to see that changed to 250!
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2020 at 1:29pm
Wink Tim don't need to worry about such things.They all have foreign parts. I have been told Honda and Toyota are as US made as any.

Number of mechanics local convinced me Honda and Toyota are less problems. So we have a Toyota Highlander with 3 rows of seats.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2020 at 5:07pm
Thanks to all the replies other than the "special" bus comment. I should have stated I am pretty much color blind as far as brands, although the majority of our vehicles over the last 30 years have been Plymouth(Horizon),Dodge (4X4 Dakota),Plymouth Acclaim, '95 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4,'96 and '97 Jeep G/C and the current '11 Caravan.
My current work truck is an '05 Ford F250 superduty that the only Ford product that I've personally owned EVER,I bought my first vehicle ('78 Buick Skyhawk) in 1983,then the Mopar purchases began.

Edited by FREEDGUY - 20 Feb 2020 at 5:11pm
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2020 at 7:12am
I also suggest taking a look at the toyo Highlander.  Buuuuut, it isn't gonna be near as cheap as something like the minivans.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2020 at 7:37am
ya but a LOT better BUILT !
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2020 at 8:44am
I'll go against the American grain here and say to look at a Toyota or a Honda.
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
jiminnd View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jiminnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2020 at 10:47am
I think the Highlander is a good vehicle, my daughter has had 2, I think with the 3rd seat up there is very little room behind. She does 90% plus city driving and the mpg was very poor for that size car, they were good but may not fit your needs.
1945 C, 1949 WF and WD, 1981 185, 1982 8030, unknown D14(nonrunner)
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2020 at 9:16pm
we love all of our Suburbans, the old lady....ooooops….I mean the loving wife got her a newer one, I guess I get her older one, that's o-k tho, it still rides nice and everything still works on it, I still like my diesel burb better!
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2020 at 4:29pm
From what I've read/heard, GM has/had instrument panel/front end lighting issues?? Possibly in-tank fuel pump issues as well??
mhankins View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhankins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2020 at 7:08pm
We have a 2018 dodge journey that we like.
 3rd row would have to be for kids,tho.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic