This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Garden Tractors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

720 onan muffler

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acdiesel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 720 onan muffler
    Posted: 26 Jan 2020 at 12:56pm
One of my 720's needed a new muffler and as you know there hard to find and the simplicity ones are not cheap and the outlet pipe goes straight.
So i decided to make my own, thought I would share some pictures.
less then about  $30 to make, and it sounds pretty good.

Edited by Acdiesel - 01 Apr 2020 at 8:29pm
D19 diesel,D17 diesel SER.3 D14 NF,D14 WF, D15 SER.II wf
D15 SER.2 DIESEL,D15 ser.II nf
D12 SER.I, D10 Ser.II
2-720'S

Gmc,caterpillar
I'm a pharmacist (farm assist) with a PHD (post hole digger)
Sponsored Links

macvette View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macvette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2020 at 2:03pm
Fantastic that you have the skill set to do this.  Me - not so much!  lol.
TimCNY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimCNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2020 at 4:02pm
I have an Ingersoll 4020 with an Onan engine, I'm very fortunate that the engine has for the most part served me well. Nice skill set, Acdiesel!
I need more than 200 characters for my "signature." I'd love to see that changed to 250!
Brian S(NY) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian S(NY) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2020 at 7:36pm
wow very nice

God made man.Sam colt made man equal.
Bird76Mojo View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird76Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 7:28pm
Looks very restrictive..

Did you at least pull apart the original to see how it was constructed internally?
Acdiesel View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acdiesel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 11:09am
yep
I have a couple of these and they look the same inside.
D12 SER.I, D10 Ser.II
2-720'S

Gmc,caterpillar
ac720nut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac720nut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2020 at 4:24am
Very nice fab job
Bird76Mojo View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird76Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2020 at 6:06am
I wasn't trying to bash your build, so please don't take offense to my prior comment.

It's really no wonder that these engines can suffer from carbon build-up if the factory mufflers are that restrictive inside. It's certainly making me think that I'll open up my mufflers in the future.
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2020 at 12:00pm
Great fabricating there Dan the man!  Paint em' high heat Black and they'll look like NOS!
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
Acdiesel View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acdiesel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2020 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by Bird76Mojo Bird76Mojo wrote:

I wasn't trying to bash your build, so please don't take offense to my prior comment.

It's really no wonder that these engines can suffer from carbon build-up if the factory mufflers are that restrictive inside. It's certainly making me think that I'll open up my mufflers in the future.

no offense taken at all, it was a great question.
 that was real my only worry in this project, was making too much back pressure.

Dan  
D12 SER.I, D10 Ser.II
2-720'S

Gmc,caterpillar
truckerfarmer View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truckerfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2020 at 8:42pm
Rule of thumb is holes should be equal in area to inlet and outlet
Looking at the past to see the future.
'53 WD, '53 WD45, WD snap coupler field cultivator, #53 plow,'53 HD5B dozer

Duct tape.... Can't fix stupidity. But will muffle the sound of it!
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2020 at 10:47pm
looks good i have biult alot of mufflers and done alot of snowmobile pipes and the one thing that is certain is that it takes alot of time and most of the time you have to roll the size of tubing that you need but it sure is worth it when you get done
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic