This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

transfer case

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D19allisowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: transfer case
    Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 7:20pm
I have a 1978 chevy k20 I use for plowing snow. The problem i'm having is when I put the transfer case in lock the rear wheels will sometimes spin and the front won't. It's a np 203 full time unit. I just want to find out #1 some back round on this and#2 can I get parts for this? thanks!
If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice.
Sponsored Links

dustinmo View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dustinmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 7:50pm
203s are chain drive junk    they have a differential inside them that allow it to be full time, this is more than likely where the problem is but I don't know what it is without taking it appart.   I am sure you can find parts for them but I wouldn't spend 1 dollar on it ( Me personally ) I would suggest buying a 205 and the adapter   don't know wether you have a 4 speed a 350 turbo or a 400 turbo but they are all fairly common,   a few years ago I threw away all the 203s I had or I would have given them to you.   I always took them out and put in 4 speeds and 205s   and sold all the automatics
smokechaser View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smokechaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2020 at 7:14pm
Check and make sure the front hubs arent stripped out.  IIRC Mile Marker made a kit to do away with the center diff. in the NP203 maybe find an NOS one?  An NP205 is a much better t. case, even the aluminum/chain drive NP208 is better.
A-C HD5G, HD3, I600, WD-45; IH 424, B414, B250, Cub; Oliver OC6; Clark R60; Bungartz T5; Ferguson TO-20; MH 44
BuckSkin View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuckSkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2020 at 9:36pm
1978 Chevrolet 4x4 - automatics had the chain-drive NP203 and full-time front hubs.
Column-shifted 3-speeds and floor-shifted 4-speeds came with "part-time 4x4", locking hubs and bullet-proof NP205.
All of these trucks, whether NP203 or NP205, were, and still are, plagued with a front drive-shaft that will eat itself alive and they also will eat the front axle u-joints.
Unless you were lucky and got a Dana 60 front axle, they all came with "Corporation" front axles.
The only difference in a 1/2-ton and 3/4-ton front axle is the brake rotors and disk-brake backing plates; I have swapped 3/4-ton rotors onto many a half-ton axle.
What usually happened to the NP203 was the chain got sloppy and wore a hole through the housing.
Back in the day, several concerns manufactured part-time conversion kits for the full-time trucks.
If it is a un-molested factory issue truck, then what I first said about all automatics being full-time holds true.
One way to determine which transfer-case you have is to look at the shift pattern.
Full-times will have Lo-Loc - LO - N - Hi- HiLoc
Part-times will have Hi-4WD - HI-2WD - N - Lo-4WD

I hope this helps. 

BuckSkin View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuckSkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2020 at 9:39pm
I forgot to add this:
Full-time NP203 trucks will have a solid cap over the front spindles with no means of dis-engaging the front wheels.
If you have an automatic truck AND manual locking hubs, then someone has already installed one of the part-time kits.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2020 at 10:40pm
believe I have a couple 203 and 205 cases yet tucked away here somewhere along with some hubs from autolock for Corp front end . 
Those older trucks used a Dana 44 front and later used Corp front . 
Have a couple Dana 44 units also - one with posi unit and 4:10 gears , front case in that unit ate up original spider gears and cross pin ate into carrier so it was sloppy . 
 203 did have problems if chanin got worn as it would slip over sprockets in case and not drive front axle . 
 208 aluminum case was a chain drive also - 
Had the small coupler that goes between transfer case and transmission break on one unit which created a head scratching time . 
 On the dana 44 the spindle for the 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton are different size so parts beyond the axle joint wont interchange but the bolt pattern allows parts to be changed . 
 Also have a Corp front with 3:73 gears but bent tube on right side , and a Corp rear 3/4 ton with a new (about 500 miles) limited slip differential 3:73 out of my 86 Diesel . semi float rear with 13" brakes . 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2020 at 10:43pm
Parts should be out there yet - then the case uses a set of spider gears in the output to vehicle so it acts like a differential transfering power to the front or rear as needed - so it wont spin both axles . 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2020 at 10:58am
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/503650053604798/
Chevy GMC NP205 transfer case
Eleva, WI · over a week ago · 
$200

This is a good unit removed from my '81 GMC. The TH350 trans in front took a crap and I found a complete trans/t-case assembly to reinstall in the truck. 10 spline unit with TH350 adapter mount, 32 spline output. Less

Condition
Used - Good
Brand
Chevrolet
< ="" aria-="false" ="_271k _271l _1o4e _1qjd _7tvm _7tv2 _7tv4" style="font-family: Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; margin: 12px 12px 0px 0px; -: 0px 0px; border-width: 1px; border-style: solid; border-color: rgb218, 221, 225; border-radius: 2px; -shadow: none; cursor: pointer; -webkit-font-smoothing: antialiased; font-weight: bold; padding: 0px; : ; transition: 300ms cubic-bezier0.1, 0.7, 0.1, 1 0s, border-color 1ms ease 0s, border-width 0s ease 0s, color 0s ease 0s; vertical-align: middle; outline: 0px; overflow: ; width: 32px; color: rgb68, 73, 80; line-height: 26px; : rgb245, 246, 247; height: 28px; right: 0px; top: 0px;">
More Map
Seller Information
Joined Facebook in 2009
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic