This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cracked engine block

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68mustang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cracked engine block
    Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 11:15am
Allis chalmers 1939 wc bought tractor with engine block is welded , it runs perfect, it seaps coolant one area where it was welded, should I grind it down and try to re-weld, the weld looks very ugly.
Should I just look for another block assembly with crank ?
Sponsored Links

LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 11:36am
nothing ventured, nothing gained. the trick to welding cast is to use torches and preheat and then after welding slowly cool it down with torches, and/or wrap in old heavy blankets so it cools slowly
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
Clay View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 12:05pm
If the block is now solid, clean and seal the weld with Belzona 1111 Super Metal.
1. Remove all traces of oil and antifreeze.
2. De-grease the surface with acetone or MEK.
3. Sweat the area with a torch. This will help bring the oils out of the pores of the metal.
4. Degrease.
5. V out the crack and roughen the surface.
6. Degrease.
7. Apply Belzona 1111 Super Metal to the area.
8. After the Belzona has cured, sand and paint.
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 1:17pm
I put Aluma seal in one. Never leaked since.  Had one with JB plastered on it, that didn't hole for long. Good cleaning before application is the key to anything holding.
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 1:24pm
This guy doesn't know much about a WD but he seems to know his welding. Welding cast iron without preheating and no cracks.
[TUBE]Yopcz-IYDyQ[/TUBE]

Edited by Lonn - 17 Jan 2020 at 1:24pm
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
johnkc View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnkc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 3:03pm
yep! what Clay say's. there are many boat engines out there " fixed"{LOL] that way.
I support the development of hybrid automobiles and alternative fuels as I need DIESEL fuel for my ALLIS CHALMERS!
PDehring View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PDehring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 6:03pm
X2 on Belzona, I fixed my M block with it and worked great.  Not cheap though.  
1937 M Crawler, 1963 D21, 1964 D21, 1965 D12 SIII, 1970 220, 1976 185
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 6:08pm
Where's the leak/welded area?
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
68mustang View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68mustang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 8:05pm
the repair is right along the carb. and intake rubber hose , don’t know how to post pictures in this forum.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 8:15pm
There have been many of those blocks successfully repaired by drilling 1/4" holes in the block on both sides of the crack and threading the 1/4" holes and mounting a 3/16" flat plate to the side of the block with a gasket and plenty of RTV or Permatex glue in-between.  It adds strength to the cracked area and works better than welding.  Looks bad ?? Well, how good does a bunch of weld look that seeps coolant all the time ??
dawntreader74 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dawntreader74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 9:42pm
DR; your wright on the patch' works very well' fixed one the same way' i put some JB; with a gasket' still never leaked been 10 years on WC.
Dave(inMA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 10:15pm
My C was declared dead by a PO after it threw a connecting rod through the carb side of the crankcase. Another fellow who happened to be a terrific farm mechanic made a patch using a piece of soft metal which he formed to the shape of the crankcase. He then drilled and tapped holes in the crankcase about every inch and bolted the patch & a gasket onto the side of the block. He ran that engine for years until I bought it from him. No welding required!
WC, CA, D14, WD45
GARY(OH/IN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GARY(OH/IN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2020 at 12:07am
I patched an Oliver 88 with JB and it never leaked again for the several years I owned it.
cottonpatch View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cottonpatch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2020 at 12:56am
Originally posted by Clay Clay wrote:

If the block is now solid, clean and seal the weld with Belzona 1111 Super Metal.
1. Remove all traces of oil and antifreeze.
2. De-grease the surface with acetone or MEK.
3. Sweat the area with a torch. This will help bring the oils out of the pores of the metal.
4. Degrease.
5. V out the crack and roughen the surface.
6. Degrease.
7. Apply Belzona 1111 Super Metal to the area.
8. After the Belzona has cured, sand and paint.

Belzona 1212 is a better fit as it’s oil tolerant so you don’t have to sweat it. Also available in smaller kits, and it’s one to one base to solidifier versus 3:1 for super metal. Both good products.
'52 CA, '61 D10 II, ‘61 D15, '66 D15II, '63 D17D III, ‘69 170, '73 185 Crop Hustler, '79 185, '79 7000, '77 7040
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2020 at 5:24am
The metal patch idea works pretty good, for large holes, drilling, and tapping, too. I hadda jeep that I fixed with jb weld, crack was along the bottom of the water jacket, perilously close to the oil gallery.  Its always a good idea to borrow or rent a magnaflux unit, to see how far the crack(s) go.  Drill a hole, at the ends, tap and thread in a bolt, at all ends, to keep the crack from growing, taking care not to drill too deep, and into a moving part.Wink

Then there's this:

[TUBE]Pq0wfU4ZaKk[/TUBE]
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2020 at 9:33am
Nevada Cylinder Head shop on the west side of Nevada, Iowa welds blocks often. They also can straighten crank shaft bores.

Gerald J.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic