This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RECTIFY good deal on transfer case

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RECTIFY good deal on transfer case
    Posted: 16 Jan 2020 at 9:45pm
Bought a transfer case for my 2000 GMC 2500 HD 4x4 as clutches in the NV 246 went bad on mine and have only 2 wheel drive 
 Not good for snow plowing I can tell you 
Well found a 2005 NV246 for good price and taking guys word was rebuilt not to long back .  PROBLEM arose the ENCODER MOTOR to control 4 W Drive is electrical and the plugin for the 2 units are different . 
 Then to compound the thing of not just being able to swap them over the actuator shaft coming out of the case is different also on is 2 flat sided round - late model is splined round .
 Now the parts are suppose to interchange IF i wanted to disassemble and interchange shafts - but somehow tearing both cases down to change one thing is just not what I planned on doing -
 Then is seems they are talking of 6" / 12" of snow over next day or so and somehow i took on some plowing contracts - last few snowfalls I did in 2 wheel drive but this time I doubt I can - besides truck is apart not and not in service until i figure out WHAT NEXT 

Edited by Coke-in-MN - 17 Jan 2020 at 4:51pm
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Sponsored Links

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 5:39am
gee Coke, You don't need 4WD, it's only 62 days unti Spring, let the snow melt naturally......Wink
I learned a long time ago to ALWAYS check several sources that 'A' will work with 'B'. ONLY 1997 radios work in my '97 F150. I know, not near a PO as a xfr case screwup, but I learned.
Kinda late, but check the online 'interchange books'. Maybe find another PU for sale(rotted but running) same model/year as yours/ Could be cheaper than xfer case alone ??

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 6:04am

Hey Coke,,,Man, I do feel your frustration because of Mfgrs changing chit for seemingly no obvious reason,,,,,!  Here's how a dedicated 'Shade Tree" like ole Joe would FIX this issue. On the plug-in, I would cut both plastic clips off and just solder the similar wires together and use Heat Shrink. You'll prolly never look at them wires again,,,Clap
 On the actuator shaft diffs, leave the shaft on the transfer case as is and change the part than connects to it,,,?? A cutting torch and a welder outa do it,,,,Clap
 Hurry before thet next storm gets there,,,,,,UMmmmm,,,you can thank me laterWinkWink
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 6:48am
Never fails does it? Pinch  And to top it off the weatherman will be spot on this time at 12" when ya need him to be off in your favor. Angry
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 7:03am
Coke, I sympathize with your problem. We had a New Idea Uni Harvester. And to source parts " I may exaggerate" You had to have the name of the people that machined, assembled and trucked it to the dealer. Whenever we worked on the machine" which was often" We called it No Idea! GM has had transfer case problems with the early 2000 models. My 2002 had to have a rebuilt case as it didn't have the wear ring for the pump in the bottom of the case which wore a hole and the oil started seeping. I talked with other GM owners that have complained about transfer case and transmission problems. All vehicles have problems,just some more than others!
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 10:08am
Seems my transfer case went out on truck about 3 months after I bought it - dealer replaced case complete new unit as clutch pack on many 2000 units were set wrong . 
 Was going to just replace clutch pack (can buy the clutch parts for $85) but so called special measuring tool to set them is around $300 used - 
 Asked one outfit to set clutches if I brought the clutch in - NOPE Charge for full rebuild . 
So now debating if I just manually engage 4 wheel drive , then take old encoder motor and hang it under truck plugged into wires - if i can get through a month or so of winter (OR LONGER)
 Some reason son talked me into doing 2 plow accounts that I had since 1973 or so and he took over plowing in 2004 - figured it would be a easy way to get a little extra spending cash - OH YA that Easy Money snow plowing - should have learned from past - there is not easy anything !
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 11:06am
A set of tire chains??? Might keep you going till you can get her going again.
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 1:10pm
I have done more with 2-wd and tire chains than with 4-wd! put chains on and go!--Not handy IF ya gotta go 10 miles between jobs!--Scratch that idea! lol!!
Modify control to a cab mounted cable! Manual control is ALWAYS better that that electronic junk! 
That's why I loved my old 73 ford 250! ALL manual control!
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 4:57pm
Wonder on the manual control - but somehow this is all tied into computer somewhere 
Was checking with a parts guy at Chev dealer - says the 2000 trucks that were new style cab and suppose to be 3/4 ton were actually 1/2 ton frames with couple things changed to bring GVW rating up - like the 8 bolt wheels and front axle shafts 
 Then under truck last couple days and there isn't much left of the farme anyway - seems i have more rust on the shop floor that is left on the truck ...
 So think I will try putting case into 4 wheel and hang old encoder under truck plugged in so computer thinks all is working  
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2020 at 12:36am
I usually do like Jay does, buy another "like" vehicle and exchange pieces/parts. might get one with a newly rebuilt or replaced case too!
iowallis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iowallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2020 at 8:38am
Check out "Car-Part.com" 

I entered your zip code and several nearby salvage yards (sorry I meant "auto recycling businesses")  might have what you need. 
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2020 at 12:15pm
I put clutch packs in my wife's 2002 astro. Just put the packs in and put it back together. It was a little tight until the new pack wore in some. I just ignore the measure the pack part and I installed the anti wear oilpumpand at the same time you just take out the old pump and the crappy little clip that wears a hole in the case and replace it with a pump housing that's machines to fit that drives on the complete case instead of just one little steel clip rubbing against an aluminum case.i think it was a hundered bucks and took me 4 house to complete the task including remov and reinstall the transfer case.removing the transfer case is the hardest part if you don't have a lift. With a lift its pretty easy.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2020 at 1:45pm
I think you got the right idea COKE... Move the controller shaft to 4 x 4 in the transfer case and leave it there........ Im not a DODGE guy... Do you also have to engage the front axle to the driveshaft or is it  ALWAYS on when the transfer case is engaged ?  On my FORD you have to put vacuum to the front axle ends to jump from 4 x 4 to 2 x 4... transfer case can be engaged and left that way.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2020 at 6:40pm
His encoder has to signal the controller to engage the front axle you can take the actuator out of the front axle put a spacer behind it and reinstall the actuator and itll stay engaged.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2020 at 5:26pm
Got the front axle bearing and seals done - then the transfer case problems - must have loaded clutches to much when bad bearing locked up axle . 
 So the unit I picked up was for 2006 and can't get it to work , just picked up another 2001 transfer case and will hope it works - then rebuild mine IF NOT - least I will have 2 wheel drive again rather than setting on jack stands in shop bay . 
 Was wondering on that shimming the clutch pack - guess only problem would be if to lose . So will tear into it to find out .

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic