This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Redneck Engineering

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2020 at 5:31pm
Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do,,,,
Sponsored Links

DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2020 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by exSW exSW wrote:

"Good as new" favourite phrase of a notorious tractor jockey.

Or in the words of another notorious crooked auctioneer, "ride and drive, boys"...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Dale (Stonelick) View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale (Stonelick) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 2:30pm
my redneck solution for fixing a cracked seat pan on a CA.  The Harley shock absorber is not an original idea.

Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 3:03pm
Originally posted by Dale (Stonelick) Dale (Stonelick) wrote:

my redneck solution for fixing a cracked seat pan on a CA.  The Harley shock absorber is not an original idea.

Brought to you by the proprietors of Lucky A$$ Farms!
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 5:52pm
Y'all oughter patent that! Fix the seat, and hemorrhoid relief, all in one!Hug
m16ty View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m16ty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2020 at 8:12pm
Every time I buy a used piece of equipment, I always have to "de-farmer" it. I swear, some farmers will spend more time "Jerry-rigging" something than it would take to fix it right. 
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2020 at 3:12pm
I still like the picture of the wife standing on the right rear side of the tractor and the left front tire gone.
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2020 at 4:27pm
I like that picture to. Wink
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
irlbeck A-C'S View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irlbeck A-C'S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2020 at 10:48pm
Brought this one home several years ago. See the fuel tank it has a tall filler neck.
Won't work very well though.

Won't work because it has a boat motor fuel tank inside that you could take out LOL!!!

The trouble people go through to cobble something up??

B,C,CA,(2)WC's,(4)WD's,(2) WD45'S, 45Diesel, (2)D12'S Series 2, D12 Hiclear,(2)D12 Series 3, HD3, D17NF (3)D17 Series 4 Diesels, M-100 Grader,8550,A few Lawn tractors lots of other AC stuff    
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2020 at 6:00pm
There should be a law that forbids some folks to use tools of any kind. About a year ago I brought an I-40. I knew it had been farmerized as there were springs everywhere on the governor and throttle linkages. I just chalked it up to the typical things of those that can't follow the procedure to properly adjust the governor linkage and thought that it wouldn't be a big deal to straighten that out. I also found that the brake lock had been unhooked, because it it the late style with the ratchet teeth and no matter what you do it won't work as intended. I have a set of peddles from an earlier D10 with the cam lock to fix that.  It had been used for loading mulch and had mulch everywhere. After I got a few layers off I found that the sensing linkage to the 3pt had been disabled. No big deal ther either as I'm going to remove that wimpy bastard to hitch up 3pt for a full Snap-coupler that works with all my equipment.  What really takes the cake is what I've encountered while replacing the waterpump that has a bearing loose enough the the fan was ticking against something.  First off, at some point in it's life the lower water elbow had rusted out as the entire lower hose assembly had been replace with a car hose  and the was no way to drain the anit-freeze into a bucket. Then I see that it is a size larger that the  radiator or waterpump nipples because it is pushed all the way up the neck on the waterpump.
All I can say is that it wasn't leaking and that at least the worms on the hose clamps were pointing so I could get a screwdriver on them.  After getting to the pump itself I find that the last time this was done someone made a stud from all-thread for the bottom bolt. It went in OK I guess, however now the stud needed a lot of help to remove. As the I-40 has a loader and hard nose, I'm not removing the radiator. I got the fan off and out with normal effort, although the waterpump hits the radiator before it clears the stud. The only thing I found to work was vise-grips and that only had room for about 1/8 turn at best. needless to say at 16 threads per inch and the homemade stud in near to 1/2" that took awhile.  The method I do is to remove the pulley on the one with the cast fixed pulley, drop in the correct bolt with copper sealing washer and then press the pulley back on. that allows for removal next time without pulling the radiator.  
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Fred in Pa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred in Pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2020 at 8:29am
Why would this be any different then what some come up with to do everything but the correct way to fix something !!!!! and wasting time on something that will not work !!!!
He who dies with the most toys is,
nonetheless ,still dead.
If all else fails ,Read all that is PRINTED.
Just because you do not have the tools for job , it dose not make it a bad design.
jollymon68 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jollymon68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2020 at 1:40pm
Here is the patch my grandfather put on the block when it cracked. Flat piece of steel with stainless screws and inner tube as the seal.....
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2020 at 2:05pm
Reminds me of the Band-Aids stuck on you commercial. Smile
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2020 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by chaskaduo chaskaduo wrote:

Reminds me of the Band-Aids stuck on you commercial. Smile

Did I hear a request?

[TUBE]HAsQrngfFLw[/TUBE]
Unit3 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unit3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2020 at 9:24pm
If you look behind the starter on the BIG 670HI, you will find a bolt-on band-aid.
2-8070FWA PS/8050PS/7080/7045PS/200/D15-II/2-WD45/WD/3-WC/UC/C
Moneypit View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moneypit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2020 at 6:53am
Amazing how people bash farmer repairs they manage to keep them running even if the farm isn’t making any money. Easy to fix things right and put them back in the shed when you’re not depending on them to make a living.
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2020 at 8:16am
Moneypit, I for one understand the need for field fixes and short finances. I enjoy seeing these fixes and the ingenuity involved with most of them being parts on hand. I have done my fair share, like a nail for a cotter pin. I also try to fix back to proper when I can if it is affordable or a safety factor. I hope we see more redneck engineering examples.
jollymon68 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jollymon68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2020 at 9:07am
Amen... I find good old American ingenuity very interesting. Amazing what people can come up with. Some should have been engineers. Keep posting those band-aids.
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2020 at 11:09pm
Originally posted by Unit3 Unit3 wrote:

"Learn to use what you have got, and you shall not need what you have not."

I always heard;
"Use it up, wear it out. Make it do, or do without!"
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2020 at 9:31am
My Dad, rest his soul, was a great one for utilizing the farmer cotter key (bent nail). Had many of those in implements around the farm. They functioned just as well as a cotter pin and maybe in the long run even better. At least you could straighten them out and re use them!
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
JoeM(GA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeM(GA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2020 at 9:42am
Yea, I just love those bent nails! my Dad was a firm believer in them! You never ever stuck your hand down in a piece of equipment without looking first!
Allis Express North Georgia
41 WC,48 UC Cane,7-G's,
Ford 345C TLB
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2020 at 10:20am
I have whole collection of never been used cotter pins, but still have things with a bent nail in them Big smile
 We have a family saying, 'Slaymakerized' because my Great Uncle Sam fixed a LOT of things on the farm with what he had. There was a broken hinge on a barn door, that had the sole of an old shoe nailed in place of the hinge. I'm sure it had to have been there for 40 years or more.

Edited by CTuckerNWIL - 06 Feb 2020 at 10:24am
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic