This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Today's New Hires

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weiner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 4:09pm
I always figured if the teacher can`t teach at 60 thousand,  she can`t teach at 100 thousand either.  In other words she is a bad teacher no matter what she is paid,  just like a good teacher is a good teacher no matter what she is paid.
Real heros wear dogtags, not capes.
Sponsored Links

chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 5:18pm
The deal is how to get rid of the poor quality teachers once they are in the union.
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 8:37pm
YEP............ if you paid twice as much and got TWICE as good of applicants / teachers, that would be great.. Then monitor and get rid of the ones that done put out.. Paying the present bunch to do what they are doing now is a non starter !
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2020 at 7:28am
Originally posted by desertjoe desertjoe wrote:

Along those same lines,,,,,the local Burger King went thru an almost total reconstruction that took bout three months to complete,,so they laid off the workers.. The sad thing is that before the face lift they had pretty good service and people ,,,,,and,,,,enough of them. NOW,,,it takes them so dang long to get your groceries to you that I have dang near stopped going because of it. I finally asked the Mgr and she looked so sad and said "IF" I could hire some people that WANT to work,,I would!! She told me before the face lift, she would only show up 3-4 hours per day just to check in. NOW,,she works 14 hours per day, every day just to keep the doors open and is constantly calling Workforce Connection for applicants but none show up,,,,,,,, So Sad when the work is there but no workers,,,,,

Joe the exact thing happened at out McDonalds. Now inside they have machines to take your order not people. (Caused by minimum wage increase)
The drive through has 4 parking spots to sit and wait and all 4 are always full and the driveway out is always clogged up with people waiting.
I used to have coffee with a WW2 vet and a good group of guys every day. Now it’s no more.
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2020 at 7:32am
Originally posted by weiner weiner wrote:

I always figured if the teacher can`t teach at 60 thousand,  she can`t teach at 100 thousand either.  In other words she is a bad teacher no matter what she is paid,  just like a good teacher is a good teacher no matter what she is paid.

I completely agree
I had a boss once that told our crew that there ain’t a man alive that can make it on 40 hrs a week. I spoke up and said that any man that can’t make it on 40 can’t make it on 60 or 80 either. It’s a management problem not a pay problem. He proved me right on several occasions.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2020 at 7:47am
teachers are on strike up here in Ontario, they say 'wages' aren't the issue and the guv say 1% pay raise. All hell breaks loose..walkouts..disruptions, etc.
OK, old skool math, 1% of 100K is 1,000 canucks, say 1/2 goes to taxes, $500 in pocket, 52 weeks in a year, so about $10 extra per week. That's 1 coffee per weekday !
idiots...

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2020 at 8:04am
     We often see school busses delivering children back home at 2:30 - 3:00 pm;  not kids in kiddie garden. What length of day could they have had? Take out a lunch period and it's even shorter. I can't see an 8 hr. day anywhere there. 3 months off in the summer. Not a bad vacation. Turning out kids that can't function in everyday life.
     A school building seems to be one of the most under-used facilities there are. Less than 8 hrs. per day and only 9 months per year; less spring break, Christmas, etc.
     Now I've vented a little of my frustration.
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2020 at 10:41am
Around here they are pretty much baby sitters for the day. We pay through the nose for lap tops to use at school for theirs curriculum, and they take it home to do their home work. New computers and lap tops every 2-3 years. The only teachers that do any thing seem to be Phy-Ed. There's no cursive or anything that requires teachers to actually stand up and teach it seems anymore. I'm sure there's a little more to it but I'll bet teachers 30 - 40 years ago would have thought, how gravy this is.

Edited by chaskaduo - 25 Jan 2020 at 10:42am
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
D14JIM14 View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D14JIM14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2020 at 11:13am
I was talking to an employee at Kroger one day and she asked me whatime it was . There was a clock on the wall and I said so. She said she couldn't read it ! She had to be 25 years old. If it's not digital they cant read it.
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2020 at 12:15pm
Sorry but to me if a kid can't read a clock that's the parents fault. Most teachers union don't care about starting wage when they a talking raises all they worry about is themself
D14JIM14 View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D14JIM14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2020 at 12:17pm
I agree but I wasn't blaming teachers. It's our society .
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2020 at 2:57pm
To many bad teachers,do what they can to get the good ones somewhere else so how bad they are doesn't show so much. Princeple was mad at my wife for teaching cursive and how to read a "old" clock,and a million more things. In the Land of Fruits and Nuts there is no discipline,been made againist the law to expel children from school. Street smarts they have,so the kids run the place. With both side mad at her my wife had enough after 24 years and walked with what retirement she had. If you cannot make a kid sit down and be quiet none can learn. Just a wast of time,and money all the way around.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2020 at 3:12pm
Have brought it up before, my nephew, BILs boy has a Masters Degree in Education background World History, has never used it, works as a Store Manager for harbor Freight. They pay him well enough does not need to teach nor want to. One and ONLY interview he had the Administrator told him he would have to Temp for at least two years no benefits, could not Free Hand teach or expose the Children to those pieces of History the School system did not want taught, he never looked back.
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2020 at 3:17pm
It seems to me the teachers are only doing what they are told to do and are only teaching what they are told to teach.  It's not the teachers fault they are told they can no longer teach cursive or old school math!  If there is an issue with the teachers, it's just like everything else.  You need to take it to the management or the board.   All you guys need to do is go in there and complain about those worthless teachers.  Everyone of you is probably paying taxes for the school system.  You don't need to sit on your butts and do nothing!

When you do go in, take a couple reams of paper, a thousand pencils, and  20 big boxes of crayons for the kiddies.   Might want grab a case of highlighters along the way.  These can be handed out to the teachers.  Oh and each of you should volunteer to go to the teachers house every night to grade the days papers!

The computer issue is easy to fix.  Have the government stop advancements in  technology.  A normal computer is almost obsolete after 3 to 4 years.  One of my jobs  working for the National Weather Service was to purchase new computers for the office.  I had the office broken down into three groups and each group was replaced on a 3 or 4 year cycles.  These were not high end computers a little more power than your own home computer.  For the jobs they were asked to perform those were adequate for the life expectancy.  Now the weather system computers were another story and were purchase by headquarters Silver Spring MD.  They were also replaced on a similar cycle.

BTW,  if you are wondering, the entire Central Region possibly the entire country's field offices of the NWS used Dell.  The computers purchased for the weather systems were also Dell, including all of the servers.  The most reliable available.  If you want a new computer, go to Dell.com and look for the Dell Outlet link.  Refurbished, and scratch and dent, are just as good as new, just cheaper.  I would think for most on here, the cheapest one would be adequate.  The laptop I'm typing this on was $200.00.  I'm not cheap I'm frugal.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2020 at 7:28pm
As you have said John, it is the GOVERNMENT that is behind all of this.  If you've never read the book "The Deliberate Dumbing Down of America" a book by Charlotte Thomson Iserbyt, you should do so.
In a short version of what she has to say, it is the government doing this, just like Hitler did to Germany.  Made it so that the children were indoctrinated and turned against everyone except the government, because the govt. was giving them everything they needed.  They weren't allowed to THINK.
That has always been my biggest bitch,,,,,,our children are being taught.  Taught ONLY what the govt. wants them to know.  Taught, instead of EDUCATED.
It IS parents AND teachers faults.  The teachers for not standing up to the powers that be and saying NO, we're going to educate our children.  Parents for sitting still and doing nothing.
I know it''s hard, for want of money, both couples have to work to make ends meet.  Remember when the women HAD to work in the factories etc. during WWII?  Well aftern the war, the govt got the bright idea that they would have more money coming in if both worked and paid taxes.  Follow the money trail......  We weren't happy with the old way of life, we wanted more....and it has cost us dearly...
It's time we fought back!  Why do you think they want to get rid of Trump so bad?  Because he's NOT one of the cogs of the political machine.
Enough of my rant,,,,,sorry guys and gals.  But sometimes a person has to educate his fellow beings so that things might change.....for the better!
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
festus51 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote festus51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2020 at 10:51pm
True statement Ted.. My daughter in law is a teacher moved up to admin.  I am afraid to ask or say anything about what is being taught.  want to keep peace in the family.
We the unwilling Led by the unqualified Doing the impossible for the Ungrateful
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2020 at 7:47am
re: A normal computer is almost obsolete after 3 to 4 years.

Actually according to 'them' it's obsolete BEFORE you buy it !
'They' don't make ANY money if YOU keep your old computers. I haven't BOUGHT a new computer since mid80s, handmedowns, freebies, tossaways .. they still work.
Funny thing is I can get my 'old' Windows98 PC to do stuff a brand new 'state of the art' Win10 laptop can't.... I LOVE 'old skool' tech !!!

EricPA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EricPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2020 at 8:09am
Originally posted by DMiller DMiller wrote:

Preaching to the Choir here, I take full advantage of disrupting the Peace by handing these kids Cursive notes, allowing them to ring up a bill then hand them a $20 and the loose change to see them lock up. Common Core Math, Common Core English all these So Called socially acceptable teaching methods dumbing down our population.

I did the very same thing last year at a Subway Our bill was $19.25 so I handed her a 20 then fished a quarter out of my pocket and handed it to her. The look on her face was priceless, like I had 3 heads. "What do I do with this" "I already punched it in so I don't know what to give you" a dollar I said. She looked at her 50something co worker and asked "how much change do I give him?" A dollar was the reply
Life is tough,but it's tougher when you're stupid. - John Wayne
cabinhollow View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cabinhollow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2020 at 8:39am
I do this to them.
Stop to get fuel and a drink.
They ring it up and I can see the total (this Fri it was $2.95), as they say "do you need anything else". I said $37.05 on pump 5 and handed them $40.00.
They ring it in and then look at how much I handed them, look at what the total is, look back at how much I handed them, look at me and say"How did you do that".
Most of the time I reply," Elementary school math."
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2020 at 7:11pm
Sitting with my wife and my sister,and pocket computers(phones) came up. My wife bragges she found the flash light thingy on her phone. So my sister and her tryed my sisters phone. My sister complained to many passwords to remember,needed to write it down.WinkAfter comments here, I suggested write it in cursive. It will still be safe from a good part of the population.LOL
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2020 at 7:33pm
I remember when this new math hit the schools.  The teachers were up in arms about it, but it didn't do any good. 

I remember when I was in elementary school.  I don't remember what grade, but they came in with these new math books and told us this is what you will be taught now, New Math.  I guess it was in the early 60's. 

When they came out with this new math I figured it was going back to what I learnt early on!  Gone full circle!?

I think it's like electronics . . .does the positive electron move toward the negative, or the other way around?  We went back and forth on this for an entire day back in Electronics Tech School when I was USAF.  I  also remember the first CRT"S were called padink tubes.  The electrons were shot down a conveyor belt to the screen.  They ricocheted off of the screen and dropped down to the bottom and went padink.  And then another conveyor took them back up to get shot again.LOL

I guess parents could teach cursive at home.  They teach the children to count and the alphabet and print their name before Kindergarten.  Come about second grade you start teaching them cursive.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 11:45am
john(MI)
" It seems to me the teachers are only doing what they are told to do and are only teaching what they are told to teach.  It's not the teachers fault they are told they can no longer teach cursive or old school math! "

I agree it's not the teachers that determine the curriculum and apparently now days they can only teach the curriculum the way they're told.  I have a 90 year old land lady that taught K,1,&2 for almost 50 years and after she retired the locals would bring their kids to her that were struggling in school and she would tutor them free gratis.  Around 6-7 years ago she was tutoring a young boy that was having trouble with fractions and such in math class.  When the boy explained to her how the teacher was telling them to do the problems she couldn't even understand what the teacher was teaching, so she taught the boy how to do it the way she taught and learned.  The boy started acing his math class and the parents called her and were so happy because he was getting A's in math class and couldn't thank her enough.  Well within a couple of weeks the teacher called my land lady and asked her how she had taught the boy fractions and the teacher then informed her that they had a curriculum to follow and that way of teaching was not allowed!  The boys parents went to the school board and unfortunately the board sided with the teacher and the parents pulled the boy from getting tutored.  So I guess they teach a curriculum now days and that includes how to teach it to?  My land lady just throws her hands up now and says I guess if a child doesn't understand something you assume their dumb and don't worry about trying to teach them in a way they can learn.

She also has big problem with the special needs children, as she puts it we spend all this time and extra classes and such on special needs children which is fine, but we leave half the special needs children behind because the ones making straight A's we don't offer many extras for and don't challenge them, then they become board and get in trouble.  I guess that must be why I was always in trouble growing up.Big smile

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 1:39pm
Here's a REAL head shaker. Granddaughter is in grade 12, has 4 classes per day. Lets' call them a,b,c,d with 'a' starting at 9AM. 1st day of the month she goes to a->b->c->d, 2nd day of the month b->c->d->a, 3rd  is c->d->a->b.  yeah, I'm cornfused too !! 'they' rotate the subjects. No wonder kids have a hard time in school !
Guess I'm old , but school SHOULD teach kids 'structure', like Engilish is always 3rd period.
This 'new' system is setting the kids up to fail when they get a real job with a REAL timetable.
In spite of this, she get high 90s, and yes ,knows please and thank you !

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic