This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

new tractors with DEF

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: new tractors with DEF
    Posted: 11 Jan 2020 at 1:15pm
anyone own one ?
what happens if you run out of DEF and shut it off ??
will it NOT restart until DEF is added ??
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Sponsored Links

Gary View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2020 at 1:39pm

In my 2016 Duramax, apparently the Power is reduced, and maximum speed is 5 MPH.
Boss Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boss Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2020 at 1:45pm
I know the trucks will eventually derate the power and will not start till DEF is added if shut off.
cottonpatch View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cottonpatch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2020 at 2:16pm
On the John Deere side, the tractors will derate. I did have one customer that ran his 5100E out and it would not restart until DEF was added. We did a software update to rectify this but I think he is too gunshy to try and replicate
'52 CA, '61 D10 II, ‘61 D15, '66 D15II, '63 D17D III, ‘69 170, '73 185 Crop Hustler, '79 185, '79 7000, '77 7040
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2020 at 3:37pm
They tell me the running out will blow the engine up! The big green farmer across the river blew up a green combine motor by runnin it out! JD said "owner neglect" ---NOT covered!
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
bigal121892 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigal121892 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2020 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by ac fleet ac fleet wrote:

They tell me the running out will blow the engine up! The big green farmer across the river blew up a green combine motor by runnin it out! JD said "owner neglect" ---NOT covered!

There's got to be more to this story.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2020 at 3:44pm
hmm sounds like some do some don't...
man I'd be mighty POed if my 400K combine dies cause the computer didn't shut it down when it KNEW DEF was low ...
or...
at the far end( always, right) of a 1000AC field and the tractor shuts off due to low DEF. Man , that'd be a long friggin walk to the barn !!
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Dnoym N. S. Can. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dnoym N. S. Can. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2020 at 4:07pm

Jay just pee in the tank and take it home

LOL         B:-)        Dnoym
Gary View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2020 at 4:25pm

How could 'running out of DEF' blow up a motor.

In my Duramax the DEF is added to the Exhaust AFTER it leaves the Engine but before it reaches the Catalytic Converter.
leoversteeg11 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leoversteeg11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2020 at 5:35pm
Putting DEF in the fuel tank on the other hand, WILL destroy the engine. Apparently this has been done.
tbran View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2020 at 6:24pm
Agco units use a variable rate of injection - they do not inject until engine load and temp is correct and it is needed.  IF the def runs out it just de-rates the hp and rpm.  In my experience the Def is much less of an issue - if kept clean- than the regen... burn off -- of the particulate filter.  That is a terrible idea and system... 
When told "it's not the money,it's the principle", remember, it's always the money..
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigal121892 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2020 at 7:42pm
Originally posted by tbran tbran wrote:

Agco units use a variable rate of injection - they do not inject until engine load and temp is correct and it is needed.  IF the def runs out it just de-rates the hp and rpm.  In my experience the Def is much less of an issue - if kept clean- than the regen... burn off -- of the particulate filter.  That is a terrible idea and system... 

This has been my experience as well. If you have tractors that use DEF, then I would think you would be setup to add it when you fill with fuel.
oldways View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldways Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2020 at 8:59pm
My Bota L47 TLB has the Regen . Only thing I don't like about the tractor.
1 Corinthians 1:18 1969-190xt-III. 1966 190xt gas. 1966 190xt Cab. 1948-G. 1937-WC unstyled. 1950-B. 1951-CA. 1966-D17-IV
wekracer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wekracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2020 at 10:07am
Don’t know about tractors but we have a 2019 F350 with roughly 3000 miles and still shows 1/2 a tank of DEF. seems like on that truck it just needs filled at each oils change. At that rate I would think it would be hard to run out
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2020 at 11:19am
The guys that work for the 70,000 acre big green farmer are not the sharpest knife in the drawer, so who knows which tank they put the stuff in. He has 17 other combines, and never did hear how many tractors, trucks, etc. he has! ---Must be nice to be able to put the little guys out of farming!
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2020 at 11:47am
I operated a JD S670 combine this last 2019 fall, harvesting corn(830)& soybeans(35’draper). I’m a huge Gleaner combine fan, so nothing against them. Aside from its turret unloading auger & higher fuel usage, the Deere’s capacity impressed me. It’s 15 gallon? DEF tank would usually last about 2 or more diesel fuel tank fills(250 gallons). I think a general DEF Ag usage application is 2-12% of fuel usage?
Calvin Schmidt View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2020 at 2:18pm
My Duramax and Eco diesel Jeep both give me at least 500 mile warning to add DEF before they will de-rate. Tractors are all pre-emission technology. Local farmer all in a rush with hired help had a worker put DEF in the fuel on a FENDT.  New engine on his dime !
Nothing is impossible if it is properly financed
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigal121892 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2020 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by Calvin Schmidt Calvin Schmidt wrote:

My Duramax and Eco diesel Jeep both give me at least 500 mile warning to add DEF before they will de-rate. Tractors are all pre-emission technology. Local farmer all in a rush with hired help had a worker put DEF in the fuel on a FENDT.  New engine on his dime !

Now that I can understand.
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2020 at 10:27am
DEF doesn't blow up engines UNLESS you put it in the main diesel fuel tank!  All of my bucket trucks at work run DEF and a couple of our linemen have run out  of DEF comin' back into the plant. The computer puts the truck in "limp mode" which equates to about 10-15 mph. In the couple cases that we had, it turned out that the bar gauge was incorrect because the floats were stuck in the DEF tank and the tank ran out or the doser valve that feeds the DEF to the Cat failed. Our guys usually fill the DEF tanks up once a week depending on where and how far away they are working from the plant. During storms they fill em' up every other day while on the 16/8 storm hour shifts...
Steve@B&B 
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
cottonpatch View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cottonpatch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2020 at 2:39pm
Diesel fuel in the DEF tank will cause some headaches like taking out the DEF pump in the tank and forcing a tank replacement, but have not seen an engine loss at the two JD dealers I have worked at. There has to be more to the story on the guy losing a combine engine by starving it for DEF. Second, I am surprised the dealer and Deere did not subsidize his replacement on a new motor, especially having a fleet of green. We go above and beyond to take care of customers to a fault. It’s what builds loyalty to a dealer/brand IMO.
'52 CA, '61 D10 II, ‘61 D15, '66 D15II, '63 D17D III, ‘69 170, '73 185 Crop Hustler, '79 185, '79 7000, '77 7040
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 9:32pm
DEF in the fuel tank won't destroy the engine, but it does ruin the entire fuel system beyond the fuel filter. I've gotten in on fixing them after that issue. It takes about 40 hours to replace all of the high pressure fuel system on an F250. I also did a fuel system on an LGH Duramax ambulance. Not fun at all. Running the system out of DEF doesn't result in a no start, but it will go to idle only. 
I will sort of walk that destroy the engine back just a bit. I haven't seen it personally, but the 6.7 Powerstroke uses a pressed on cam gear with no key ways. If the injection pump seizes it can spin the crank gear. Since there's no way to put it back in time, your options are a short block. 
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic