This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

R52 Fuel Tank Removal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: R52 Fuel Tank Removal
    Posted: 09 Jan 2020 at 10:23am
Has anyone removed a fuel tank from an R52.  Mine sprung a massive leak last night.  Do you remove the cab and take the tank out that way or does it go out through the bin by removing the sheet metal?
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2020 at 11:29am
Rivets and thru the grain bin.
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2020 at 11:31am
ug!!Ouch
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
Amos View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2020 at 11:54am
Originally posted by CAL(KS) CAL(KS) wrote:

ug!!Ouch

My thoughts exactly.....
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2020 at 12:47pm
must be a common thing. A buddy of mine had his repaired due to agco not having new tanks in stock at the time. Used it a day or 2 and sprung a leak right at the repair, so got to buy a new one, which by then was available, and do the job twice! Sounds like a $h!tty job to have to do!
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
Amos View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2020 at 6:03pm
Found one at a combine wreckers, they told me they have sold a couple...not cheap price they gave me.  Thinking when I get it out I may make one out of aluminum, then I wont have this leak appearing when I need it.  My luck things like this usually happen twice...just like your friend Ed...

I will decide when I get the old one out.  I am curious how come it started to leak, and leak like a fire hose when it did.  i would have lost an entire tank of fuel if I had not just happened to walk past it last night.
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2020 at 7:56pm
Sounds like an extremely poor engineering job to me!
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2020 at 11:02pm
i'd look in to see what maybe had rubbed it. I also think i'd have bought a new tank, the used ones may not last long either unless you can find the reason. sounds like you are in for a heck of a job!
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2020 at 6:37am
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2020 at 6:46am
Those tanks won't fit a rotory
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2020 at 6:53am
thinking out loud here ...
could you adapt a semi fuel tank ? or some SS tank ??
sounds like they all fail....but why ? vibration ?? rubbing ??
unless the cause is found 2nd one will fail by the sounds of it...

putting in a used tank buys you some time, a new tank hopefully more but.....the clock's ticking down......
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2020 at 8:15am
"Sounds like they ALL fail "?   I don't think so. I've never seen one fail yet and R-40/50's have been around since 1987. They are a poly tank and I guess the first thing I'd NOT DO, would be let it sit around 9 months out of the year full of fuel, to relieve the internal pressure of the weight of the fuel against the tank structure.
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2020 at 8:52am
Oddly enough, the R52 in my above story happened last season, and an R62 here in our town had the same thing happen. So for the few around here, there seems to be a pattern starting. It seems to me is was at a seam, but I do not know for sure. Definitely worth looking in to to make sure nothing is rubbing that shouldn't be.  
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
LB0442 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LB0442 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2020 at 12:35pm
I had a black water tank on the 5th wheel develop a leak, looks like the same material as these fuel tanks.  Pulled it out and it was cracked along a seam.  New ones were ridiculously high priced so I went to a plastic tank manufacturer, not too far away, just to check on them making one and they said they could plastic weld it.  The repair looks great and it's been 3 years now, still holding.  Just another idea for you.  I think it was 40 bucks for the repair.  Had to clean it out real well first though.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2020 at 12:40pm
hmm.. 'plastic' tank... wonder if the 'rubber' isolation/mtg straps wore and rub-a-dub-dub... wore a hole into the tank ??
I'm betting very few actually inspect the tank and it's mounting 2 x a year..... I KNOW I ain't never crawled under my F150 and it's on it's 2nd set of gas tank straps...

Amos View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2020 at 4:25pm
I already have a tank off a truck that I can stick in the combine if I decide to go that rout.  Definitely it is the most cost effective way to go, and I know I won't have any trouble with it in the future, I have lots f those tanks around doing various jobs, that have been here for my entire life.  When I get it out I will show you what caused the leak and I will decide then what I am going to do with the problem.  I may just build an aluminum tank that fits in the same place...will decide when I see why it leaked
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2020 at 6:39am
hmm.. depending on size/shape/access maybe an air compressor tank will work ? I'm also thinking the 'saddles' need to be 3-4 inches wide with say 1/2 hard rubber cushions. Aluminum tanks may be fine for semis on the open PAVED road, but combines tend to be driven 'offroad'.Wink

ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2020 at 12:01pm
N-5 plastic tanks also sprung leaks!
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
Jim NEIN View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim NEIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2020 at 3:10pm
You said you did'nt lose much how did you get it stopped or did you drain it in a container.
Amos View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2020 at 5:14pm
I started a siphon with a 1 inch hose I had through the fill into a portable tank in my pickup,  Had to pump the last twenty gallons, as siphon hose started sucking air,  the tank had been full and when I stuck the hose in there was still a little fuel in the fill tube below the cap. Lucky I walked by when I did, or I am sure it would be empty before the sun came up.  

Edited by Amos - 12 Jan 2020 at 5:15pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic