This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Time for more new tools

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobkyllo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Time for more new tools
    Posted: 08 Jan 2020 at 7:51pm
So I love buying tools. If it works as advertised and I can see a use for it I'll buy it.

Any way today I had a warranty job come in. I put an alternator in a Honda van about 8 months ago. Well today it come in with the alternator bracket broken and the bottom bolt broke in the engine casting. Very little room to work. I ended up using a Dremel and cutting a slot on the bolt. Then with a bunch of luck I used a screw driver bit and a 1/4 inch wrench to get it out. But I got to thinking what if I needed to drill this out. I said to my my self it's time for more tools.

So here is my list. A right angle drill. Probably air operated. And some stubby drill bits. What are your guys thoughts on either of these. Any good, bad, brands to avoid, etc. I like stuff with warranty. I'm not opposed to spending money if the tool is good quality
Sponsored Links

DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2020 at 8:57pm
If I remember right snap on had one, that was air operated, right angle, with bits that screwed into the end of it.  Pretty pricey, but worth the $, for the right bolt/situation.  I'll see if I can find it.

Can't find it on line, right now, But go to snap on, and search short left hand drill bit set.  That and a die grinder would get you a long way toward what you want...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2020 at 11:29pm
Yup, left hand drill bits worth the money in the right places.
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2020 at 2:11am
I love buying tools, gadgets, lights, and other things too!
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2020 at 6:19am
Slightly off topic, when I first started in the machinist trade I worked with an old man who had been in the business for about 50 years. He used to love to correct me whenever he could and the way he did it was usually pretty funny. One day I said something about a drill bit and he said, very sarcastically, "it's not called the Acme Cleveland twist drill BIT company. They're called drills". Then everytime he needed a drill he'd say something about needing a bit and he look at me sideways and I would repeat his lecture back to him. He'd cackle a little and say something along the lines of "well I was wrong, the youthful mind of America is capable of advanced knowledge". I sure do miss that old man
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2020 at 6:31am
OK, I'm trying to figure out why this is a warranty job......sorry I digress..

I would NOT buy an air powered RA drill, 'useless as teets on a bull' for THIS job ! The air hose WILL get in the way, wrap around some $$$$$$$$ thing and oopsy...

Buy a BATTERY powered RA drill...NO air hose or power cord. Up here 'short' drill bits are called 'jobbers', BTW.
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
bobkyllo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobkyllo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2020 at 7:33am
The customer thought it was a warranty job because as far as his dadh was telling him the alternator was not working anymore and I had just installed a new one.

Once we got into the job I had to call the customer to see what they wanted to do. Of course they wanted it fixed but I wanted them to see what was wrong before I went ahead and tore it apart much farther
allisrutledge View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisrutledge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2020 at 9:02am
Look on McMaster Carr.com for high speed steel short length drill bits. That's all I buy for common drilling at the plant. If I need a longer bit I only order one. The black oxide 135° point angle ones are cheap and great quality compared to any store bought bit. My personal ra drill is a souix? Electric, millwaukee is the same. Works for me, good luck
Allis Chalmers still exist in my mind and barns
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2020 at 9:34am

Boy,,you gots you a tough one there,,,,,, The way I read it,,,,the bracket "Might" of broke ,for many reasons not even related to anything you did,,,OR the bolt broke for same reasons and most likely not because of anything you did.
 First thing I would do is show the owner the broken stuff ,,then repair the bracket and replace the bolt. THEN reinstall the alternator and check it with a volt meter. If alternator is putting at least 13 volts then THEY owe YOU for the labor for repairs to the bracket and bolt,,PLUS the R&R of the alternator. Fair is fair for both parties.
 On the warrenty for the alternator, I always buy at Autozone as they have an "UNshakable Warrenty of 1 year for the Cheaper parts or Limited Lifetime for the item that is just a few bucks more. I always let the customer make that decision. Good Luck,,,,Clap
bobkyllo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobkyllo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2020 at 2:22pm
Once I determined there was more wrong then just the bracket I brought him in to see what's going on. He was the one who suggested the welding idea the second time I worked on this. He did say that he'll have to eat his words. He told me to weld that bracket and it should be fine.

So now that we have this in for the 3rd time he was very understanding. He said to charge him what I felt was fair. He said he trusted my judgment.

I tested everything out after I put it back together and it all seems to be running well.

I sure got lucky that bolt come out as easy as it did though
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2020 at 8:00pm
Sioux makes a nice 45 deg angle drill that is a compact unit , I have a couple air drills and find them useless as speed is not easily controlled and they eat drill bits . 
 A good electric variable speed drill is worth the money 

Edited by Coke-in-MN - 09 Jan 2020 at 8:03pm
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2020 at 11:14pm
For aircraft work we use right angle air powered drill motors with threaded drills. They can get in a very small area. Air drill have much greater power for their size than any other drill. The down side to theaded bits is the cost.
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 1:15pm
If you ever have to do exhaust manifolds on F series or GM LS engines, get the Promaxx kit. It has a jig that centers and makes you drill straight. It also has a 1/4" air ratchet that turns twice the speed of a normal one and a drill chuck with a 1/4" drive. It's half the size of any right angle drill you can buy. The day I bought mine I knew there was a V10 coming in for manifolds. All but 2 studs broke off so the Promaxx kit paid for itself on the first use.
They make drilling jigs for just about everything that's known for breaking bolts or studs. 
Absolutely falls under FRUSTRATION ELIMINATION...
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2020 at 9:42pm
Brian, do they make one (Promaxx kit or the jigs) for the 40 to 60s Allis Chalmers tractors?  I need one for the WD45 right now.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 6:26am
Walter, I mean Ted
This would help for a whole lot less, or give you an idea of going about it.

1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
DonDittmar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonDittmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 8:18am
Mine came off the MAC tools truck on special. Came with the stubby bits and a nice case for all of it. Good drill at a good price

Experience is a fancy name for past mistakes. "Great moments are born from great opportunity"

1968 D15D,1962 D19D
Also 1965 Cub Loboy and 1958 JD 720 Diesel Pony Start
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic