This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D17 narrow front under a 185?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA185 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: D17 narrow front under a 185?
    Posted: 07 Jan 2020 at 12:23am
Would a D17 narrow front take the weight of a 185 up to 9500lb? For pulling purposes, no rough or field work. I have a 185 I use strictly for pulling and would like to put a narrow front under it someday. The factory front ends are too hard and pricy to come by, there are a few modified fronts around for cheap but they lack power steering. Obviously a custom mount would have to be made to bolt it to a 185, my concern is the weight.
Sponsored Links

WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2020 at 4:56am
The biggest problem would be that the D-17 front end is mechanical, using a steering shaft and the 180/185 are hydrostatic steering and use hydraulics instead of a shaft.

Is it heavy enough? Hard to say. I have seen several homemade front ends fail during a pull. 
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2020 at 6:51am
I remember someone having a WC front under a D21 back in the 70s.  It would depend on how the mounting was done as to weather it is strong enough or not.  I had a totally homemade tricycle front under my 70s modified that held up and never broke. I used a front spindle cut from the front of a F5 Ford for the pivot and a corvair box for the steering. As a 180 has hydrostatic steering I would consider something along the same lines with a cylinder controlled by the orbit motor. For the SuperStock I am building, I will use an orbit motor for the control and a cylinder that has the shaft out both ends going to the spindle arms. 
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2020 at 8:16am
If you remove the front support casting underneath the air cleaner/radiator and fabricate a replacement that includes a front weight rack, you can lose a couple hundred pounds. Then, slide out your adjustable axle knees and cut them off short and reassemble with one bolt. This is easy to do and you will still have power steering and a wide front that would meet all safety/insurance regulations. I've made 2 or 3 of these over the last 45 years and would never consider a NF.

Edited by DrAllis - 07 Jan 2020 at 8:17am
PA185 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA185 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2020 at 8:25am
Honestly I was wanting a NF purely for looks. I only run heavier classes so the weight saved isn’t important. I just really like the look of a NF 100 series
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2020 at 6:16pm
Seems like ive heard a Ford 8000 n/f, and Oliver 1650 and up are kinda close and guys made them work, Probably measures close and hydro too,???
PA185 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA185 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2020 at 7:33pm
I have actually seen a 210 with an Oliver 1650 narrow front, however it was manual steer.
dbounds View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dbounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2020 at 8:19pm
I put a D17 narrow front on a D21 a few years ago to pull a 9200 lb class non turbo. I sold it to Daryl Krause in Washington,State and he ran it in a turbo class. I took out front casting and replaced with 1/2” plate that I cross braced and powered steering with E Gleaner cylinder. Worked for me. Doyle
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic