This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D 21 ??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: D 21 ??
    Posted: 31 Dec 2019 at 3:56pm
Dad received a new calendar for 2020 from the local seed/fert/sprayer guy. It's vintage tractors of ALL makes but there was one that caught my eye, a D 21 INDUSTRIAL. Seems like it's owned by a fellow in ILL. or Iowa that completely re-habbed it. May I ask if there were any major differences between an "industrial" vrs. "ag" ?? I think the model year was '64 ?? Thanks, and HAPPY NEW YEAR !!
Sponsored Links

jiminnd View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jiminnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2020 at 4:00pm
Have not seen the calendar but I know of a real nice D21 Industrial in Iowa.
1945 C, 1949 WF and WD, 1981 185, 1982 8030, unknown D14(nonrunner)
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2020 at 4:11pm
I will get out to the farm this weekend and get the owners name/state and post back Wink
Dan Hauter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan Hauter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2020 at 5:51pm
I've seen the calendar. Might be Charlie Widlund's Industrial D21. Western Iowa.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2020 at 6:20pm
I would expect a D-21 Industrial version to have a fixed front axle, no 3-point hitch, no PTO and maybe only two-hydraulic outlets (one spool).
JoeM(GA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeM(GA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2020 at 6:36pm
Biggest things I saw were the huge drawbar hitches and the solid front axle, I would think the PTO and lift would depend on how it was ordered

Allis Express North Georgia
41 WC,48 UC Cane,7-G's,
Ford 345C TLB
JoeM(GA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeM(GA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2020 at 6:37pm
Allis Express North Georgia
41 WC,48 UC Cane,7-G's,
Ford 345C TLB
dbounds View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dbounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2020 at 7:24pm
thanks for posting pics of my industrial . the only difference is the big rear hitch, all D21 s had adjustable front axles and you could order any options available for the D21s. Some have no rock shaft and a few have 3 points and regular draw bars. My industrial above was ordered as you see and other than a repaint has only 1700 actual hours and still has all 4 original tires and no body work. Not bad for a 1964 model. Doyle
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2020 at 8:02pm
very nice............

Like them all, but love the "B"s.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2020 at 5:00am
dbounds, that is a very sharp looking machine ! I am curious about the orange one in the background.is the hood cut-out for the turbo I assume ? If so, is this factory or somebody adding it later ? Thanks to you and JoeM for the tractor and pics 
Calvin Schmidt View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2020 at 6:01am
The D21 industrial pictured is a Series I which does not have a turbo. The orange D21 in the background is a Series II which comes from the factory with a turbo and oil cooler as shown. Both will be factory with the addition of the chrome exhaust. 
Nothing is impossible if it is properly financed
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2020 at 8:01am
It does appear the orange one behind does have the hood cut out for a different turbo. This is completely custom, as no D21 factory kit conversion, or factory turbo would require the hood to be cut. That is obviously modified to fit a larger turbo, probably for sled pulling. The conversion kit offered for series 1 included a new hood with holes in the right places. 
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
Brian F(IL) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian F(IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2020 at 8:24am
These pics are from the 2018 GOTO

All very nice outfits.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 5:08pm
Originally posted by Dan Hauter Dan Hauter wrote:

I've seen the calendar. Might be Charlie Widlund's Industrial D21. Western Iowa.

You sir are the $100.000 winner !! That is the owner as of last year !! Just another thought on that vintage of "big" tractors, was the LARGE rear tire footprint exclusive to the '21, or were there other "big-footed" tractors of the era ??
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 5:11pm
Originally posted by injpumpEd injpumpEd wrote:

It does appear the orange one behind does have the hood cut out for a different turbo. This is completely custom, as no D21 factory kit conversion, or factory turbo would require the hood to be cut. That is obviously modified to fit a larger turbo, probably for sled pulling. The conversion kit offered for series 1 included a new hood with holes in the right places. 
injpumpEd, The fuel lines between the yellow and orange off of the pump look different also ?
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 5:13pm
Originally posted by Calvin Schmidt Calvin Schmidt wrote:

The D21 industrial pictured is a Series I which does not have a turbo. The orange D21 in the background is a Series II which comes from the factory with a turbo and oil cooler as shown. Both will be factory with the addition of the chrome exhaust. 

So the hood cut-out is factory?
Calvin Schmidt View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 7:28pm
Originally posted by FREEDGUY FREEDGUY wrote:

Originally posted by Calvin Schmidt Calvin Schmidt wrote:

So the hood cut-out is factory?
Hood is not cut out from the factory. Must be either a larger turbo or one that was not an original replacement. Didn't notice the cut out at first.
Nothing is impossible if it is properly financed
Lynn Marshall View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lynn Marshall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 9:58pm
This is the Widlund tractor.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2020 at 5:05am
So, in the end, any D-21 Industrial wasn't really any different than an Ag tractor, except for the yeller paint ?? You could order them with whatever options you wanted. That drawbar on the Bounds tractor wasn't A-C according to the parts book I'm looking at. It probably was from the company who made the scraper that it was hooked to ??
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2020 at 9:44am
Originally posted by FREEDGUY FREEDGUY wrote:

Originally posted by injpumpEd injpumpEd wrote:

injpumpEd, The fuel lines between the yellow and orange off of the pump look different also ?
The lines look different because the yellow one in front of pic is a non turbo 3400 engine, with no oil cooler. The orange one in background has the oil cooler, so it's either a 3500 series, or converted 3400 series. No hood panel was ever cut out from factory like the orange one. 
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
dbounds View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dbounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2020 at 11:03am
The orange D21 was a puller and had a larger turbo, lines etc. Pic was taken at Go To in 2006 Boonville, Mo. Dr Allis is correct that only difference is paint between ag and industrials. I cannot explain where heavy draw bars came from but all industrials seem to have them except ones with 3 points. Doyle
PDehring View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PDehring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2020 at 5:50pm
I'm in the process of tearing down a D21 I recently purchased and I'm noticing what appears to be yellow paint on the engine block, bell housing, front support, and final drive housing under the orange paint.  Now I'm wondering what this tractor was from the factory...

Does anyone offer the build cards similar to what Floyd County Museum does for Olivers?
1937 M Crawler, 1963 D21, 1964 D21, 1965 D12 SIII, 1970 220, 1976 185
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2020 at 6:15pm
What you are probably seeing is the yellow primer paint that AC used on many/all of their castings. They are often painted that color inside as well.
PDehring View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PDehring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2020 at 7:13pm
Ok, thanks.  Good to know. 
1937 M Crawler, 1963 D21, 1964 D21, 1965 D12 SIII, 1970 220, 1976 185
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic