This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Yesterday accident...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yesterday accident...
    Posted: 29 Dec 2019 at 10:23pm
This is winter, drive careful and stay safe.
 Heard of lots of accidents yesterday, specially after 9:30AM when it started raining here and made everything ice... Many in the ditches... and getting stuck...
  A real bad accident happened right on the state road... and I thought the main roads were sanded since I had heard the county trucks were out...
  Real sad deal, a car hit a semi... and got split in two, and two fatalities. Happened at 3 in the afternoon. and road was closed til 9 pm.
 Theres a lot of winter left so stay safe and drive safe.

He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
Sponsored Links

LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2019 at 11:11pm
About what you would expect. It's a shame.   Leon
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2019 at 12:12am
Prayers for the families.  yeah, WE know how bad the driving conditions can be here in God's country, but all these young kids think they are invincible and can't be hurt.  We know better, cause we've been through everything Mother nature can throw at us.
Those extra minutes that you don't take can kill you.  Take the time and be late.  It IS worth it.  Drive safely so we can see you tomorrow....
JC, stay warm and safe,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and ride a horse.  I haven't heard of a horse / car accident om YEARS!!
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2019 at 2:26pm
Wonder how Darrel is doing up north from the sounds of things he is really getting hit hard
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2019 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by tadams(OH) tadams(OH) wrote:

Wonder how Darrel is doing up north from the sounds of things he is really getting hit hard

I really lucked out. Storm didn't give us nothing but a little wind. 60 miles east of here and farther it's a little different story though. Wonder if I should taunt ole Shameless: "ya missed me, ya missed me! ha ha!" LOL Darrel
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2019 at 7:23pm
others have learned...
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2019 at 8:05pm
Always hated working accidents like that. Sad for all involved. Freezing rain creates the worst of road conditions, no traction at all unless you are using chains.

The aiming device on that "machine" is malfunctioning, throwing that white stuff all over the country. He keeps missing me. LOL Think I will go hide out at the farm, Shameless doesn't know where it is.

Edited by Hubert (Ga)engine7 - 30 Dec 2019 at 8:08pm
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2019 at 12:08am
I too have worked many of those avoidable accidents, people just cannot slow down! hardly anyone uses mud/snow tires anymore, most of all the accidents out there, the vehicles have summer/street tread if not bald or donut tires on. they should never had made SUV's with 4x4. people that buy them need training on how to drive them.   
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2019 at 5:33am
sad, 2 very young souls lost. While the road looks good, I'm thinking maybe driving too fast ? NOBODY slows down anymore. Between Winter tires and 'electronics', everyone has been brainwashed into believing they can do 60MPH on snow and ice.
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2019 at 6:16am
I worked nights maintaining winter roads and saw my share of aviodable accidents! I also was either able or had my guardian angel along and avoided some myself! People are so absorbed in getting to their destination as fast as possible that they don't realize they may not get there at all! On time delivery has made truckers drive irresponsible of road conditions or some just don't care as everyone else is in their way!
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2019 at 6:57am
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

others have learned...

I am a slow learner! Darrel
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2019 at 9:09am
Technically, all 'accidents' are avoidable. If we are honest with ourselves, most, if not all of us have done dumb stuff that could/should have, but for the grace of God, got us killed or seriously injured....and, we were all young an inexperienced and/or wild and crazy at a point in our lives.

This type of accident is rather insidious, until one has experienced it once or twice, it is hard to understand and avoid. Weather is warm, it's raining lightly, or worse merely foggy and it is hard to believe (or remember) that the surface can still be freezing. And, the are no visual clues, such as when there are snow flurries.

Driving too fast? Obviously that statement is correct.....but what is 'too fast'? If we, any one of us, could have advised those girls as they were walking out the door that morning, what speed would we have advised them to travel? Sure, a speed so that they could have avoided loosing control....what is that speed?

I have no idea where I am going with this....just rambling thoughts. Heartbreaking, two young lives gone way too soon, at least in our minds.

My sympathy goes out to the families, and the first responders who bravely do their job, whether they be paid, or volunteers, these things surely takes a piece out of them!
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2020 at 10:05am
Originally posted by Hubert (Ga)engine7 Hubert (Ga)engine7 wrote:

Always hated working accidents like that. Sad for all involved. Freezing rain creates the worst of road conditions, no traction at all unless you are using chains.
Having worked too many of these too Hubert we see so many times that not thinking was the main cause.  And as Joe says, we've all been guilty of that too.  Even having chains sometimes isn't good, they act like ice skates.

Winter seems to be when we hear about these the most, and Christmas time is always the hardest to hear about.

I pray for the souls of those girls and their families who will always wonder "what if".
Be careful out there folks.  Black ice is the worst.  God watch over you all, have a good new year.
"Allis-Express"
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2020 at 12:57pm
Last March the wife took out a brick mailbox followed by several post mail boxes. She was going up a slight hill and the sun blinded her and next thing the mailbox was right there. Totaled the car. Every airbag went off, even the rear passenger airbags. She walked away. Thak goodness she was only doing about 35mph.

Could she have avoided it? Sure could have. I would have never hit it but like a good husband I kept my mouth shut.🙄
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2020 at 1:34pm
2 days ago, a young man from here was killed on the highway. 4 lane divided, car from the opposite side lost control, jumped the median, hit the guy head on. 3 fatalities, 2 in the car that lost it and the young guy from town by himself in his car. Talk about driving along minding your own business....do you have any time to have a final thought?

This guy is 2 years older than my son. Last year at this time was the girl my son took to senior prom. My son says “man dad, it’s so weird! Could be anyone any time!”

Prayers for all involved. All of us, love , enjoy, and be thankful for your family! If there’s a grudge keeping you apart, get over it! If there’s long distance between you, make plans for a trip and meanwhile pick up the phone....
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2020 at 10:48am
My good friends mom was going to work and suffered a massive stroke, lost control of car and hit someone head on. Both died. They figured my friends mom was dead before the impact. It can happen anytime even on a sunny windless day.

Edited by Stan IL&TN - 02 Jan 2020 at 10:49am
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2020 at 11:08pm
Originally posted by Tbone95 Tbone95 wrote:

My son says “man dad, it’s so weird! Could be anyone any time!”

Prayers for all involved. All of us, love , enjoy, and be thankful for your family! If there’s a grudge keeping you apart, get over it! If there’s long distance between you, make plans for a trip and meanwhile pick up the phone....
Tbone95, that is well said!!  As most of us know, there is NOTHING LIKE FAMILY!!  There is NO reason to separate you from another member of your family.
Do like Tbone says, call and be humble.
"Allis-Express"
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2020 at 9:54am
Problem with those SUV's is the people driving them think their indestructable when in them and nothing can happen. First of all, the darn things are top heavy, second, short wheelbases, and third, way to light to be zoomin' down snowy or icy roads. Now, add a cell phone and we have a real nice recipe for disaster!  Not only that, it endanger's everyone else's lives that are around them or coming the other way! A lot of irresponsible people out there.......
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
Alberta Phil View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberta Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2020 at 10:19am
I've always said SUV stands for "Suddenly Upset Vehicle" LOL
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2020 at 12:05pm
I didn’t know until last night that the father of the young guy who was killed from here died 3 weeks ago. That wife/mother must be in terrible state of mind.
TimNearFortWorth View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimNearFortWorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2020 at 8:30am
Data was recently released by the insurance industry noting that since the inception of the dashboard "infotainment/control systems", accidents have steadily trended up.
Remember when the cruise control was in the turn signal of GMs? Neat when controls were added to steering wheel and big selling pointused as you no longer were reaching over to adjust radio settings, something they noted caused many of the accidents.
Today's vehicles now have huge screens in the center of the dash, screens that people said were to small to use safely when the smaller ones first came out.
Too much crap added to vehicles anymore but seems like all of them now concentrate on "cabin features" as most struggle to add additional viable features to make sales.
RAM commercial touting "17 speakers" makes me chuckle, what for?
Tire technology has also been stretched as they advertise tires that are reportedly "good for all conditions" but people need to understand how much conditions vary, and slow down.
People believe the advertised technology and take it for granted that the car will get them out of any situation and they still haul a$$.
Cannot count how many times I have passed big rigs where the driver was reading a book or watching a video on a pad device propped up in the left corner of the cab.
My heart goes out for any that lose someone, especially the innocent ones caught up in crashes for any reason.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2020 at 8:45am
All the distractions in modern cars are a problem, people just do not consider how much attention they lose with all this 'Stuff' going on around them. Have driven tractor trailer rigs with dash loaded with gauges, basic radio and CB, never had a problem scanning across a set of indications or reaching for a Mic where when get in wife's car the flashes from that Infotaiment screen are VERY distracting, catch her staring at it when she is driving, tempted to make her just shut it off but that won't work either as all the heat and car warning controls are done thru it.

Was on Volunteer FP District for awhile, do not wish any of these type scenes on anyone as gut wrenching and NEVER get over the scenes of death. Had to help recover the remains of a friend one time in the 70s, that memory is just now fading. One reason I cannot or could not join the local FPD here, another is I am too old.

Prayers from here to ALL involved.

Edited by DMiller - 05 Jan 2020 at 8:53am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic