This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Clipper Cleaners

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clipper Cleaners
    Posted: 01 Dec 2019 at 7:00pm
Chas's guy has about what I was talking about just bigger scale out here. The small sticks where never in what came to the huller house in my day as all nuts where hand picked into bags.
Sponsored Links

modirt View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2019 at 12:12pm
That is the general process, and when you see all the trash the roller picks up (we get all that plus some leaves), you get a feel for the problem. He rigged up a cleaning system with a fan, but still had some cleaning up to do.

This guy is using a small clipper to fan sunflowers.

[TUBE]alf3iz0N3SY[/TUBE]

I would have to build new screens, but even still, the level of trash involved may overwhelm this little clipper.

Still wondering if an All Crop combine could be set to do the job just as well.
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2019 at 10:52am
Ran across this YouTube this morning and thought of you.  Aww ain't that special. Wink

[TUBE]7un4bYoV1VQ[/TUBE]
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
modirt View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2019 at 8:37am
modirt View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2019 at 8:35am
If I were to try it with the Clipper, I assume I'd have to make my own custom screens from some type of expanded metal wire.....or standard fence wires, like a 1" x 2" or 1" x 1"welded wire on the large end, and 1/2" x 1" on the small end......plus adjusting the fan to help blow off the trash.

The problem is our native northern hard shell pecans are different than the larger southern paper shell nuts......basically smaller......about half the size of their grafted southern cousins.......and being native.....the nuts tend to be highly variable in size. Larger ones being nearly double the size of the smaller ones.......with some being nearly round and others oblong. The place that cracks ours has about 12 different cracking machines setup for the various sized nuts folks bring in. The payoff for all this is the enhanced flavor....northern pecans have a much higher oil content.....as evidenced by the oil stains on the paper grocery bags they are stored in.

Still wonder if an Allis All Crop combine couldn't be used for this duty as well? Have never run one and it's been a while since I poked my head in one. Don't know if the openings on the straw walkers are large enough for the pecans to fall through. But if they are, seems you ought to be able to adjust the fan, chaffer and sieve enough to get a clean sample. Get those right and you may not need a screen.

Edited by modirt - 25 Nov 2019 at 8:35am
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2019 at 2:34pm
You would still get fine stuff, well maybe not with a good fan, but the screens would have to be cut/drilled out for your specific size. once that is done, it should work, might have to fine tune it to fit your needs! -- 500 pounds?? Send-um over, I can have something to do while I try to recover from surgery! lol!!
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2019 at 8:32am
modirt,
I dont know much about the Clippers on nuts? The concept is good screens and air to sort the good from the bad. Not sure they make screens large enough?? Interesting concept. I am sure there is something out there. But at your scale might be pricey. Maybe just send all of us a 5 lb bag on the pecans and we will sort them??:)
Regards,
Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2019 at 2:23am
Yeah and he only just raised his hourly rate to $80, so ya might want ta get while the gettins good. Wink
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2019 at 1:49am
have Joe come over there and hand pick the nuts, he ain't doin nuthin anyways!
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2019 at 3:08pm
Wink In the land of Fruits and Nuts air and water do 90%+ of the sorting. Still a commerical  english walnut business of several 1000 acres local but fading fast. I don't know anyone processing local,cheaper to truck dirty nuts to big processer with natural gas to dry.

Put them up a small elevator as they fall off hit with a blast of air. Leaves and sticks are liter than good nuts.So trash blows further and nuts fall more strait down. If you have dirt and rocks they use a flotation tank,walnuts and almonds float Wink rocks not so much. Then the huller of counter rotating brushes. And high pressure spray of water for another cleaning. This was 40 years agoes tech for small 5 to 20 ton a day operations. So everything was put down a hand sorting belt for a final check. Then on to drying bins. 

I have not been in a modern plant but anything under 250 ton a day is now called small.

Don't know if any of this helps? But if you can find any old conveyor belts and experment with different amounts of air blast.
modirt View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2019 at 2:20pm
I already tried making one of those. It was a miserable fail.

Pecans (or at least ours) come in various sizes.....northern hard shells generally being smaller than the southern paper shell varieties.......so the need for a means to vary the size of screens.

Aside from the pecans.......trash come in the form of large and small sticks, leaves, sticktights (nut shells with hull/husk/shuck still attached), the hull/husk/shuck.....or bits and pieces thereof. So larger and smaller than the nuts. So a large screen to filter out the big trash, a smaller screen to separate the small stuff and it would help if there is a fan blowing the really light stuff off.

The three options that I've come up with (aside from the manual pick them out method), would be one of these old clipper cleaners, which is just a big larger than an old washing machine; a snowco rotary seed cleaner....duel screen.....and lastly something like an all crop 66. Basically what is needed is the same separator function of the combine.....straw walkers, sieves, screens, etc. Skip the concave and dump in the side?
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2019 at 1:35pm
Maybe a blower on a short table and pour from a bucket above through the breeze into a lower bucket at the right distance to blow the lighter stuff away and the nuts fall into the bucket. Whew my fingers ran out of breath on that one. LOL  Like winnowing wheat or something. Maybe through a screen to catch the nuts and the smaller heavy stuff goes through that at the same time, then dump onto tarp or something.   Have I got you all confused yet.

Edited by chaskaduo - 23 Nov 2019 at 1:41pm
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2019 at 1:28pm
I had pictures of you bagged up in my mind, ya nut. Wink
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2019 at 1:28pm
wonder if you could make one of those dirt/rock separaters, with the rotating screen?  Finding the screen with the nut sized holes might be the biggest problem.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
modirt View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2019 at 1:05pm
Usually.......if it has moving parts and involves bags and nuts......one is strongly advised to practice extraordinary caution Shocked.........but this one is harmless enough....

[TUBE]FSi7J69uBw4[/TUBE]

Our nuts....errrrr pecans......are not nearly that clean....
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2019 at 11:50am
? how do you keep from getting caught up in that sweep? Wink
modirt View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2019 at 10:03am
Specifically, one of the old Ferrell 2B clipper seed cleaners......

I've been looking for something I can use to "clean" up our northern hard shell pecans after picking them up with a baganut sweep. In addition to the nuts, you get a lot of trash in the form of leaves, sticks and hulls. Right now, we are separating the nuts and trash out by hand. Gets to be a chore with 500 + pounds of nuts.

Has anyone used a on Clipper for something like this? Worst case scenario it seems you might have to get creative and build your own custom screens for the nuts.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic