This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

7G, hoping for the best

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2020 at 2:03pm
I am Sluffing off today, 20# sledge liked to work me to hell and gone!! Still have to deal with the right Master pin as Stopped moving with close to an inch to go yet. Just Wore me OUT!!

MAYBE Back on it Monday after liberally apply alcohol for Covid-19 Protection internally!!!

Have a late eruption seal on torque output to work on then work to get it outside, then can start the Cage conversion and straightening actions for Rear Sprocket Guards. Closing in on that Brass Ring completion as far as I want to go.
Sponsored Links

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2020 at 2:51pm
Down to last 1/4" and stopped moving AGAIN, getting close and will work on that pin tomorrow yet again, if push comes shove it is in deep enough to be left should I have to go there, will clear everything on trucks and has at least 3/4 depth engagement of inner link as Well REALLY tight.

Much better with shoes back on!!

Flail on pin awhile tomorrow, then work on Torque seal leak and maybe get it fully off stands. Dependent of leak, may have belly pans back on Tuesday and ready to set back outdoors so can start cage mods to install that. Scrap pile getting bigger, parts pile decreasing daily. First job when complete will be loading derelict for hauloff.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2020 at 6:57pm
Keep on oiling it, and then go do something with the machine!  Then try whacking some more, till it moves in...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2020 at 1:44pm
Got it flailed into submission and down where I am satisfied will be OK Yesterday. Got after it today, pulled U-joint trunnion, worked on Converter seal and yoke, got that back together set trans belly pan, got nose off jacks and coiled one engine belly pan bolting block then set the pan, need at least 4 more 1 1/2" 1/2"SAE Bolts to finish that Misting and nasty out so left it in shop standing on own legs, tomorrow goes out cycle F-R a few times tension rails then I will drag cage covers in for mods. Possibly swing bucket back on.

Going to try and rig up a Press affair to unkink rear sprocket shields so can be reinstalled too. Rt RR outer support bearing seal seeping currently, hoping that laps itself back into tighter.

tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2020 at 2:26pm
You keep it up and you will have to move some dirt
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2020 at 7:30pm
Brush piles First!!
Ages Cat View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ages Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 10:03am
Glad to see that this machine is going back into action again. I have heard from more than one owner/operator that these machines were top shelf in their time. Before We bought our first AC crawler, I was told by a gentleman that owned a large fleet of yellow crawlers quote "In a lot of ways, the HD-6 is a better tractor than its yellow competition". My only wish is that we had a source for spare parts.This loader is an improved HD6G.
Curt Anderson
HD3, HD5B, HD6E, HD6AG,HD6B dozer, I-400, 615, 616,(2) 620, 720, ACP25 lift truck, 1956 D Special Grader, AC 540 loader, AC 655 crawler loader, AC #84 plow, Simplicity lawn tractors.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2020 at 4:57pm
Well test drive was a experience with Grousers, aggressive Seven ways from Sunday so spent a little added time straightening that up. Today did some rock rake lake removal on the driveway between showers then started setting up the Brush Cage mods. Rear legs will be cut back 4 1/2" to accommodate saddles the front cross bolting will be inside a length of 1/2" steel pipe with plates on either end so can wiggle and shift. Rt Rr saddle is being notched to retain access to the third function ports.

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2020 at 5:00pm
Shop is a WEE Bit tight with cage and tractor both indoors, better than working wet. or soon to be COLD!!

DonBC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2020 at 11:50am
Years ago I worked for a company that had a small IHC crawler loader that for some reason had dozer pads. It worked very well but was continually having final drive repairs. I finally told our mechanic to torch off all the crousers to about 1/2 height and we never had any more final drive problems. Just a suggestion.
Jack of all trades, master of none
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2020 at 2:43pm
What I inherited off the donor is staying for now. Do not have time nor patience to gas axe all the grousers and know full well the issues on loader, NO turns with loaded bucket, softer on controls to make turns, can be a fine balance act but doable. Old rails and slick shoes in the barn, quite possibly if get gumption will add two 5/8 rerod bars to those and swap shoes as many of these are pretty sad on the toe or heels.
DonBC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2020 at 12:14pm
I use to have a H3 loader/backhoe that I had to use on frozen ground and sloped terrain and I welded on short lengths of rebar alternating side to side about every 4 pads primarily to keep from skating sideways on a side slope.
Jack of all trades, master of none
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2020 at 2:06pm
Gonna start in rain again tomorrow, got the cage set today, rear mounts will have to be different. Will set Stop blocks on front tubes first then start on backs, also have to drop trans pan yet ONE MORE TIME, snail trailed backing it back in.

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2020 at 5:41pm
My first attempt at the rear mounts was based on the old mounting the cage had, only dropped 4" off the legs where as set the cage to my tractor wanted to tuck in the back as Too Short and rolling under. After some distressing language and some work on chain fall got it where decided was good and built New mounts, they are just at 6" tall.

All manner of weirdness happening over the course of this repair surgery!!

Sewed them in today. Fronts tomorrow.

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2020 at 11:19am
Fronts are set, 1/2" Steel pipe sleeve thru the holes, down stops welded on insert pipes, 1/2" gr 8 bolts with custom conformal spacers over pipe inserts.

And found that Cussed trans leak FINALLY, was one of the Reverse shift oil tubes, last two threads are SNUG but turned until stopped and oil stopped. Trans belly pan BACK on and done for day as rain started again, no outside getting bucket back on.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 12:21pm
Bucket is back on, work now is to build a press affair to straighten rear sprocket shields and reinstall. Just a soft sloppy mess everywhere so staying in the shop, more rain due in tonight. Yay.

Edited by DMiller - 25 Mar 2020 at 12:22pm
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2020 at 1:31pm
Well six months off and on of farting around with Old Machinery!!. Spent two days hammering and bending the rear shields back into some form of Round and inside the dimensions of the rails. NOT perfect but better, Had to cut away the ears for the truck frame mounts as just TOO severely mangled but did save One, used angle iron for replacements. Old gal is not especially Purdy, she is homely as a cardboard box but is mechanically as complete as I am going to go. Was considering a Dupont Overhaul but this is still a work tractor so not in the cards.

My home spun shield reformer and the net results..

As soon as dries down some, time to put old Fat Allis back to work.

Track Tensioner difference is Phenomenal. Only roughly 1/4" of pistons exposed now, were at least 1 1/2" exposed on old rails.

Edited by DMiller - 27 Mar 2020 at 1:36pm
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2020 at 2:32pm
Looks good should do the job nicely
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2020 at 4:56pm
Final list, Trans replacement with resealed spare(actually Twice), fresh fluid and all trans/steering filters, seat and armrests rebuilt, installed seat belt appropriately, replaced hard nose and bolts, radiator, all new coolant hoses, resealed fan hub with new grease lines, thoroughly cleaned engine area, replaced V/C gasket, all fuel return rail Eastman seals, new lines to trans/fuel gauges and a used replacement for fuel pressure, installed lower rock guards, repaired mounts and installed idler shields, inspected ALL rollers and idler bearings with rails off, replaced right final shaft/sprocket, replaced track tensioner seals, replaced rails, built new exhaust stack on engine, new turbo on engine, installed donor hood and exhaust stack, battery box cover off donor, engine oil & filter change with new fuel filters, installed Alternator and rehabbed mount off donor, rebuilt engine belly pan, repaired rear sprocket guards and installed, fabricobbled new mounts and hardware installed brush cage, repaired floor pans in cabin. Greased entire machine.

Edited by DMiller - 27 Mar 2020 at 4:58pm
NomoreJohnDeere View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NomoreJohnDeere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2020 at 8:09pm
you forgot in a short amount of time
HD3
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 9:04am
Relatively short, part timing, hobby work. Old gal still has some seeps and minor leaks, not going to go completely thru those as some are lack of parts others are required time to repair for a seepage leak is excessive. Converter output seal does not hold as shaft is worn, I am thinking too much play(Noticeable) and requires engine/converter removal to get at adequately or to swap converter. Oil is pretty cheap for the little it leaks off. Mostly a mess concern not function.

Edited by DMiller - 28 Mar 2020 at 9:08am
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 4:20pm
Opened other trans last night, still NOT found my failure to lock in Rev.

Today came dry and bored enough to test the Machine!! Shoved out a number of old Cedar and Locust stumps, then trial be Fire er-Feedlot and she is back in the barn for now. All worked as hoped and expected, just a little Nasty.

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 4:24pm
Meant to add, looks like the typical Demorat convention, everything at a standstill and Sh!t everywhere!!!
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 12:03pm
Did get all that Poop Pudding OFF and exercised the machine to squeeze out the remainder in the rails, all is good for that again.

Next up second trans, finally got it down to failure, clutch plates welded up. Appears as had a mix of Bronze and Fibrous in the Lo Reverse pack, the Fibrous came apart and glued themselves to the steels. Minnpar last fall showed over 60 each steels and frictions, now has 0. Made a parts request to see if can get. P/Ns 70624245 (8) and 70693536 (9)

Edited by DMiller - 04 Apr 2020 at 12:05pm
gemdozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemdozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 3:20pm
I should have some very good used  plates and discs 
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 6:37am
Morning Hector, sent you a PM.
Tigerhaze View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tigerhaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2020 at 6:27pm
Good afternoon- new member here. I have a fair amount of crawler experience with my JD crawlers but I am getting ready to join the "orange crawler" club with a 7G-B (is it still considered an orange machine if a Fiat-Allis?). 

I appreciate the photos and information DMiller has been posting and although I don't think I can be near as ambitious as that project I do like to learn about these crawlers with photos since each model tends to have the same weak spots and peculiarities. It's also good to know of at least two other 7Gs in Missouri. Clap
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2020 at 7:21pm
The G-B was placed in production alongside the 7G. The 7G had the Buda Allis four Cylinder the G-B a Fiat Iveco Design six cylinder engine, parts for both are pretty well Unobtanium. With the G-B there is the option of upgrading to a inline six Case/ Case Cummins dimensionally even as torque converter drive would need be engineered. The radiator in the G-B is sectional and bolted where the straight G is hard tank soldered. Trans are the same, finals and rails same, rollers trucks same except the G-B deleted one upper roller.

G-B is pedal Steer, my G is hand clutch(hydraulic) and foot brake. Hydraulics were an improvement on the G-B. At one time was a CAT p/n listing for segments and replacement components to convert to 6,906 rails on the G-B, may still be some of those parts out there. Brakes between the two are totally different.

Roughly same weight, around 22-24,000 lbs base weight. G-B more often came with ROPs canopy, will not modify to the 7G.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2020 at 7:41pm
I assembled the Reverse Clutch pack today, and found what I had missed. A .250 x.200 dowel, was NOT in the pack when disassembled, know that as fact, is in it now, short piece of drill rod.

That would allow the Shaft end opposite application piston to roll with the clutches, NOT hold as clutches applied.
exSW View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exSW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2020 at 8:05am
I'm impressed. Really,really impressed. Great work.
Learning AC...slowly
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic