This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone Round Bale Hemp?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WILLOPS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 3:50pm
calico190xt68, I will fore worn you, the guys here in Kentucky have had very bad luck getting paid, the above farmer refused to put the first plant in the ground until the contractor had paid him up front for all his projected labor, to the sum of around $400,000, and I've been told he is still waiting for another even larger sum of money, and is holding back the product until payment. Another farmer friend planted hemp for seed production, and was never paid by the same contractor, they kept enough product to recoup there costs by made no profit.  Both of these farmers are doing hundreds of acres and are not certain they will be doing it again, not do to the problems with weather, but due to there experiences with the buying/selling process, they both said its tobacco done over but with out the security of the old contracts.  
Sponsored Links

cabinhollow View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabinhollow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 4:55pm
Hundreds of ac on a new to everyone crop.
You had better just bend over and keep the lube handed.
I have talk to a few that raised under 5 ac, all family labor and they were pleased with the return.
A processor in KY went BK, the end of Oct and just the first two claims total $17M. 

calico190xt68
On a sign, all I need is a picture, what size you want and how it will displayed.
I do only powder coat in one color.
WILLOPS View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WILLOPS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 5:06pm
I wouldn’t necessarily call it a new crop, my grandma grew up on a hemp farm here in Kentucky, and we’ve been growing test plots here for a couple of years now. I think we’ve just jumped in head first around here. Not to mention it’s grown just like Kentucky’s #1 cash crop(marijuana). Just doesn’t have to be hidden in the woods anymore lol. My thoughts are to stay away from it for now, and wait and see what happens and the equipment costs.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 5:33pm
Originally posted by Gary Burnett Gary Burnett wrote:

Originally posted by m16ty m16ty wrote:

I'd say the best bet is a silage chopper with a row-less head. You could just use a regular bushhog and rake and bale, but you'll leave quite a bit on the ground.

Everybody has went big with hemp around here this year, looks like most may wind up loosing big. Lots of people had contracts and the contracts fell though, and are having trouble finding somebody to buy it. This spring, all the talk was $40K per acre, now most people are hoping they can at least break even. My personal thought is it's a fad and the supply is more than the demand. Everybody thought they would get rich raising it, but lets face it, they will pay the farmer just enough to keep him raising it, no more. That's the way it's always been, you ain't going to get rich farming.

With any new industry there are going to ups and downs and a steep learning curve.Hemp was a good crop in the USA before the gov't stupidly outlawed it because of the Pot Psychosis thing.Hemp has a lot of very good potential uses,I use Hemp oil on my knees has really helped them to not hurt all the time.I've read its fibers are softer than cotton.
Maybe JD and Kubota can start making their tractor hoods out of hemp,won't break like the plastic they use now and can be ground up when the electronics go completely haywire and tractor is junked(LOL)

If jd made the hoods outta hemp, at least you could get a lil buzz, as the tractor burns...Wink

[TUBE]WeYsTmIzjkw[/TUBE]
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
calico190xt68 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calico190xt68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 7:18pm
That's all good information.  Appreciate any and all insight.  I believe this baling job is a sour contract situation as well.  Not big enough to lose any real money.  There could be a lawsuit too.  I am just a bystander for now.  The crazy part to this story is that the license holder is a single mom, who knows nothing about farming or own any land! 

Despite all of the bad, I still think the opportunity might be in either figuring out how to help these hemp pioneers harvest the plants or in actually raising the product.  I am thinking of getting a handler license at a minimum and figure out how to harvest it.  I now know of three test plots around me and all are struggling to harvest.  Funny thing is old farm equipment seems to be the best equipment.  I got plenty of old equipment.

I am leaning towards the small 5 acre patch for cbd oil and skip the fiber stuff.  I think cabinhollow may be right about the small operator making money even though highly manual.  They don't have a big investment and reduce their financial exposure.  It sounds just as manual as making small square hay bales.  Looks like some hemp growers actually direct market the cbd oil although that looks like a big investment.  I will probably wait a year on growing it and see how another year of growing and harvesting  plays out around here.

Indiana is late to the game but they may have learned something.  Indiana claims that you need to submit a marketing plan, contract sources and contracts for the seed acquisition before you get the license.

Cabinhollow, I will PM you after I get a picture of my 190XT for you to make some metal art.  You can give me a price then too.  Thanks.
80 7010 w/Cab, 67 190XTD Series I w/500 Loader, AC 2000 Plow, AC 4 row Planter, AC 77G Rake, Member Indiana A-C Partners, Member TAC
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calico190xt68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2019 at 7:26pm
BTW, laughed about that JD hemp tractor burning and driver getting at least a buzz. :-)  These new tractors need to be leased and not owned.  Electronics will never last.
80 7010 w/Cab, 67 190XTD Series I w/500 Loader, AC 2000 Plow, AC 4 row Planter, AC 77G Rake, Member Indiana A-C Partners, Member TAC
Kiwi View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 12:59pm
Hi all it looks like this hemp thing is the next big thing even here in New Zealand every one is jumping into it with seed production and fibre
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calico190xt68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 2:40pm
Kiwi,

Are they struggling like us, or do they have the growing, harvesting and selling processes all figured out?  I read that China has this market previously cornered because the United States qualified it as a drug and no one could grow it for many, many years.  Did it get deregulated in New Zealand or just no one wanted to do it until the hype arrived?

What kind of AC tractors do you have down there?
Kiwi View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 12:25am
Hi we have a company called Carrfields that has contacts for hemp and they have a Claas lexion combine with two fronts the top one is a Macdon which cuts the seed heads and feeds them through the drum and the lower one is a silage chopper front and cut the stalks which are left to dry and then baled with a 4600 hesston type baler you can go to www.carrfields.co.nz dual cropping . Because the THC level is so low the government have let people grow it but it comes restrictions like police checks it is not to be grown within so many meters of a main road etc. Will start a new post about the Allis tractor in New Zealand
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calico190xt68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 9:13am
Kiwi,

That is the correct way to do it, but also quite expensive. I saw a John Deere version of that same concept but haven't heard of anyone owning one yet. You would have to have a bunch of hemp acreage to cost justify those machines. Hard to buy something like without a solid market or ability to acquire seed. After this year, I think a bunch of people will exit the market.
wayne IA View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayne IA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 10:14pm
Here is a video from the Gleaner road show with hemp. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyGvWKN9_y0
exSW View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exSW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2019 at 6:05am
That was really worth watching. Very cool.
allisrutledge View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisrutledge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2019 at 7:47am
Michael, they are harvesting by hand and loading on old school busses.
Allis Chalmers still exist in my mind and barns
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calico190xt68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2019 at 11:47am
Thanks for the video. That's the right way to do it.

Allisrutledge, thanks for the info. School bus? Why not wagons? Maybe it needs to be covered. Desperate times call for desperate measures I suppose.

The hemp is still in the field here in Indiana. We are trying to figure out if it has any value versus further cutting/transportation costs. I believe the contract buyer isn't returning phone calls which is a bad sign.
m16ty View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m16ty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2019 at 1:05am
Everybody around here is dealing with it much like tobacco. Hand cutting it in the field, hanging it in the barn to dry, then striping it by hand, and putting it into big bags.

One local guy that has part interest in a sawmill is hanging it in the lumber kiln dryers are the mill and drying it that way.

It’s pretty labor intensive, but most people raising it are ex-tobacco farmers and are better setup for all the hand labor.

The figures I was hearing back in the spring was average $40k gross per acre at harvest time. I don’t know what it cost to put it out, but it’s my understanding that there are no chemicals labeled to use on it, so you have to cultivate it when small, then hand hoe it once it gets too big to run through with the cultivator.

Another real issue around here is cross-pollinating hemp with marijuana. It’s my understanding that if somebody plants some illegal marijuana plants near your legal hemp crop, it can cross-pollinate with the hemp and raise the THC to illegal levels. Here in TN, all crops are tested for THC levels, your crop test too high, you have to destroy it all.
cabinhollow View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabinhollow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2019 at 7:00am
Cost to plant per ac can run from $2000 to over $8000.
It depends on if you buy seed or plants and what type of seed/plants you buy.
I know some farmers that were giving the plants, all they were out was land,labor,etc.
On cross-pollinating, that's more on the seed production side.
If the seed/plant you use has low TCH, about the only thing that will effect it is the climate.
But if that plant is cross-pollinated by MJ and you keep the seed, the plants grown from that seed, will have higher TCH.
This goes back to the cost per ac to plant. You can buy un-certified or certified seed/plant.
One local farmer used un-certified seed/plants and his TCH was way to high.
Plus they have found that depending on the maturated of the plant, the TCH level can be high or low.
Here they are pushing for a 1% level TCH you can still harvest, but then it has to be blended to .3% before it is sold.

Edited by cabinhollow - 23 Nov 2019 at 7:02am
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calico190xt68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2019 at 1:33pm
Update on the hemp baling.  Sickle bar mower cut it down just great.  Laid it right down without shaking the tops much. 

I was busy, so another guy took his IH Round Baler over to bale the entire plant without chopping first.  One bale was produced and then it clogged up tight.  Glad I didn't try it. 
Just as predicted from my southern AC friends, you can't bale hemp fiber until it gets chopped.  You may still not want to bale it after it gets chopped either.  From central Indiana, baling is about the only way we can economically transport the hemp fiber to Kentucky for processing.  I know there is a time limit on processing so not sure that can be met.

So, it is now sitting in the field, laying on the ground.  I can't imagine that will be good for the plants, but we aren't sure it is worth anything or worth the time to hand harvest.

Not sure where this goes from here.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2019 at 1:35pm
Gee, I think I'm going to run out and get ready to grow hemp next year!Tongue
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calico190xt68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2019 at 3:55pm
Every failure has opportunity.  Better to be watching the first failure from a computer screen than from the field, that's for sure. 

As crazy as it sounds, I still may try it.   The only thing that worked for me this year is hay.  My beans were a loss.

Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results is the definition of insanity. :-)

JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2019 at 10:24pm
A friend of mine grew a half acre of hemp last year at his orchard in western Colorado, he sold it through another friend on this side of the mountains.  Got a check for $30,000. figures he had $10,000 in growing and harvesting (hand cut).  So he was quite happy with $20,000 profit and decided to grow a full acre this year.  Only talked to him once this fall and he didn't brag about how much he made so don't know if he did as well this year or not.
The guy my friend sold the stuff to, also a friend, is a BTO with about 170 acres of hemp, along with around a thousand acres of grain, hay and veggies.  He chopped the hemp with a big JD self propelled chopper into a brand new Western Star tandem axle truck with a manure spreader box with double doors on the back.  Told me the truck was a tax write off from the hemp business.  I don't think he did nearly as well this year as last.
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calico190xt68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2019 at 8:53am
Thanks for that feedback from Colorado. I suspect that Colorado doesn't have the same red tape that we have here. That's a lot of money off of a half acre! That was also a lot of money to invest in a half acre. Sounds like growing conditions were good which may not have been true this year. As well, more people are jumping in which will lower the price. This is the second story I have heard where going small isn't a bad idea.
m16ty View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m16ty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2019 at 10:11am
In Colorado, were they growing hemp or marijuana? They are “legally” selling marijuana in CO, so there has to be people raising it somewhere.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calico190xt68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2019 at 11:52am
I think he is referring to hemp.  MJ has very tight controls and I am not sure about growing outside at all.  Colorado is one of the few places you can get quality hemp seed from what I found on doing research.   I am sure they have transferred their MJ growing skills over to hemp.
thomaspeket View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thomaspeket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2021 at 9:57am
It's still kind of weird we can grow that stuff now... Just a few years ago, you would go to jail if you grew weed. The worst thing is that there are people in jail still because they used/sold weed. It's crazy when you think about it, but it gave us online stores like canna wholesalers. It's one of the better stores you can buy weed from, but it's still worth checking out different options too.
I love trying weed from different places because it's the only way to know which store sells the best product.

Edited by thomaspeket - 01 Aug 2021 at 3:36pm
Stan R View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2021 at 7:03am
Originally posted by thomaspeket thomaspeket wrote:

It's still kind of weird we can grow that stuff now...

Has to be below a certain level of THC to be able to be grown out in open fields (probably have to smoke a bale's worth to get high- haha). It is tested and if above the amount of THC, it has to get destroyed. Happened here in Massachusetts and a few farmers grow it. Signs along road saying stuff like no trespassing and low thc to stop theft.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2021 at 11:59am
Gee Stan your state better get a move on all us WOKE places grow what every you want.LOL Well that was a go until big, BIG money wino's got worried that smell could taunt the taste of their wine. LOLLOLLOL
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2021 at 9:31am
Hemp doesn't have THC in it, smoking bales of it would do nothing but make you cough!  They processed tons of it during WWI or II, so a trip to the library might be in line to see if you can find out how they did it.  If the company wants it to make products out of then chopping it would defeat that purpose.  Maybe an antique corn binder would be the way to go.  A lot of work but that's why you can get work Visa's for our neighbors to come work for us.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
LaverneDejardin View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaverneDejardin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2022 at 6:43am
Originally posted by calico190xt68 calico190xt68 wrote:

Thanks Willops.  If they grow it in heals, they were probably focused on the higher grade CBD stuff and not fiber.  Fiber goes in rows, I believe.  It most likely was a failure due to poor weather as here in Indiana.  Same 30 days, no rain.  If it was barely knee high it was not good hemp.  They are simply trying to salvage something and using some desperate techniques to do that.  Just as we are.  Let me know if you ever get into a conversation with them about what appears to be a fiasco and what worked.  Curious why they are not using a silage chopper?  If they wanted to borrow a sickle mower, they must not have had that in their long term plan.  Probably going to hand cut and now it is worthless to do that.
Perils of farming are everywhere.  I am trying to get a game plan for next year.
I have a company that has contacts for hemp, and they have a combination of two front ends, the top one cuts the seed baskets and feeds them through the drum, and the bottom one is a silage chopper. Stems are left to dry and then packed into bales by the baler. You can visit  for grocery shopping. Because THC levels are so low, the government has allowed people to grow it, but there are restrictions, such as police checks, it cannot be grown within a few feet of the main road, etc.

Edited by LaverneDejardin - 23 Oct 2022 at 1:55am
DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2022 at 7:24am
If it was for the fiber wouldn't it be better if it wasn't chopped up? But I guess it would be like wool or cotton it would have to be spin to make thread?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic