This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Deer hunting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Deer hunting
    Posted: 13 Nov 2019 at 9:16pm
Grandson got his 1st buck with his bow. Nice 8 pointer. One less dam nuisance to destroy crops next year. Its been hung and cut up. Will probably BBQ some next week.
Sponsored Links

plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2019 at 9:28pm
Congratulations to your grandson. It is a great feeling getting in bow range and then letting that arrow fly. I have not yet filled my bow tags but have high hopes this weekend.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2019 at 5:58am
My old mechanic shoulders don't allow bow use anymore. Tried a few years and got good at aim where hunted heavy woods, never managed to get one close enough. Rifle however have gotten four over the years on that same ground.
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2019 at 7:30am
Tom,
Tell him congratulations from a old PA deer hunter. Any day you get one of those speed beef on the ground is a time to rejoice. He did real good! Hope you enjoy the venison! I had some home made venison kielbasi yesterday from my sons buck! 
Did you get some pictures for us too?
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2019 at 8:43am

Chit,,Chris,,,you must know ole Tom has just about gotten as bad as ole Shameless at gettin us some pics,,,,,,Wink Now,,,knowin most teenagers these days,,I'm bettin that his Grandson already knows his cell phone inside and out ,,,,and takin pics would be a breeze for thet teenager,,,,,Clap
  Chit,,I guess I shouldn't talk bout others,,,I guess I gave up too darn easy with the issues with my new smart phone,,,,but,,,,but  I'm gonna get after it ,,,,,soon,,,,(gulp),,,I promise,,,WinkWink,,,,,,,
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2019 at 2:56pm
Got a big acorn tree behind the house and every morning I have at least one doe there eating. This morning there was a buck with her. Could just open the window for a shot but the city police may frown on it. πŸ™„
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2019 at 5:30pm
Originally posted by Stan IL&TN Stan IL&TN wrote:

Got a big acorn tree behind the house and every morning I have at least one doe there eating. This morning there was a buck with her. Could just open the window for a shot but the city police may frown on it. πŸ™„

Bow don't make noise!Big smile
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Wayne180d View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne180d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2019 at 5:59pm
Got my doe with a 2017 Ford escape about 60 mph.  Not good
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2019 at 6:15pm
My ole 96 Stratus got 3 last year ! Keeping the plastic headlights on hand now !
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2019 at 7:25am
Originally posted by DMiller DMiller wrote:

My old mechanic shoulders don't allow bow use anymore. Tried a few years and got good at aim where hunted heavy woods, never managed to get one close enough. Rifle however have gotten four over the years on that same ground.

Crossbow.
JoeO(CMO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeO(CMO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2019 at 7:47am
Originally posted by Wayne180d Wayne180d wrote:

Got my doe with a 2017 Ford escape about 60 mph.  Not good

Ditto's.  I had a new '97 Chevy that I had ordered the way I wanted and had just left the area I was bow hunting and hit a big buck on the way home, did a big number on the truck.
Hiway patrol asked if I wanted it,  yeah?
 I'll take it with me, had to cut it's throat and he helped me load it. I had  a headlight broken,  had to bend the fender  a little and he followed me home.
I called a friend who is a big venison consumer,   He said he would keep the meat,  I kept the rack.

Insurance fixed the truck and I still have the rack, the biggest in my collection.

I never hunted with a bow again, but I did donate that bow to a local youth  hunting/competition training class. 

Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2019 at 10:32am
Originally posted by Tbone95 Tbone95 wrote:

Originally posted by DMiller DMiller wrote:

Crossbow.

I think that would be the ideal silent weapon and better than my other idea of using the pellet gun plus it would be harder to shoot my eye out.😜
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2019 at 11:22am
Tomorrow Firearms season hits here, called Beer season for the Amateurs that head into the National Forests around the state.
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2019 at 4:05pm
Congrats to your Grandson. I didn't even pick up a bow tag this year. The last 2 years, Ive been busy helping the neighbor get corn in and do fall tillage and have only had 3 short times in the stand in 2 years. I let a young buck walk by me last year, then wished I would have put the meat in the freezer Ouch
 I decided several years ago I couldn't draw my compound back worth a hoot anymore, so I sold it and bought a crossbow. It's so much easier for a guy with bad shoulders.
 Week from today is our firearm season opener. I guess I should try to decide what gun I'm going to use and take a couple practice shots, in case the weather is decent enough to be out there.

Edited by CTuckerNWIL - 15 Nov 2019 at 4:06pm
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Wayne180d View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne180d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2019 at 6:39pm
I work for Pilot and had a driver that comes in every morning for fuel told you guys can hit deer but I did one better.  He hit a huge black bear in the UP  came out of no where right in front of his truck.  Game warden told him he could have the bear but he signed it over to a local.  Told him he should have brought it home  I would have helped him with it.  I always wanted to lay naked on a bearskin rug in front of the fireplace but Cracker Barrel doesn't like that.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2019 at 6:50pm
Folks,
Carved out a hour this evening to set in the deer stand at our daughters place. Didn't see anything except for the insides of my eyelids! 
I did pick up a replacement hunting licence at Wally world today. Cost me $5.60. Not too bad. So I am ready to go for opening day of buck, Saturday after Thanksgiving. (has been Monday after Thanksgiving since cave man days!)
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2019 at 7:58pm
The kid has a shotgun tag. Hes leaving his stand set up. Walmart only has him working 2 to 4 part days so he has plenty of time to hunt.
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2019 at 5:05am
Congratulations to your Grandson Tom!Wayne I spit my coffee on my notepad reading your post about the bearskin rug and Crackerbarrell! Most fun I have had was shooting a turkey in the frozen food section of Krogers. I can't go back to Krogers anymore!

Edited by klinemar - 16 Nov 2019 at 5:06am
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2019 at 6:11pm
I gotten 7 or 8 over the years with the semi, not much worth saving
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2019 at 6:42pm
Well I blew it this morning. Got in kinda late. Doe jumped up right near the stand I was getting in. She hesitated long enough that I could knock an arrow and get a range reading. I drew on her and just as she got to a clear opening she spotted my decoy and took off.
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2019 at 7:05pm
Tom, congratulations to your grandson on getting an 8 pointer with his bow. That takes practice, preparation, and some good hunting.

Our firearms season opened the third weekend of October and I haven't been yet. Now that it is a bit colder I will try to get a few for the freezer, still got two stands set up from last season. Stopped by my favorite bbq and sausage supplier near the farm to grab a sandwich today and my buddy that runs it said that according to DNR about 3,000 had been harvested in the county so far this season. 
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2019 at 9:17pm
Folks,

Tom You need some of my Maple BBQ sauce for that deer of your grandsons!

My deer story from today:
 I had lunch with some of my deer hunting friends that were done for the early archery season this morning. I loaded up my gear before I went to meet them. After lunch I went to our daughters property on the edge of town. 100 acres of young timber and brush. Saw a deer move as soon as I stepped off the road. Moved into the center of the wood lot and set up on the ground with the Horton crossbow. (that is code for setting down and checking the insides of my eyelids for a while, kind of like a old squirrel in the sun!:)) Saw one deer move past at about 150 yards. 
Moved down in the woods a little further and sat on a downed tree. Two small doe came past within 15 steps. I hesitated as I thought maybe a buck was following them?
 Then a short nap and a small spike buck appeared at 30 yards and moved on. 
I woke next time to a doe about 10 steps from me, locked on to me snoring I guess? She whirled and moved to my right. I saw there were 3 or 4 more deer behind her. The 3 second rule hunting timer went into effect! Bow up,. safety off, a little doe moved to the right , big doe next was broadside in the open and stopped for a second. Centered the third level of cross hairs on her mid section and the bow fired! I saw the deer hunch up. Deer were moving everywhere. One moved to my right 50 yards and hesitated and in a few minutes it laid down. I figured this was the one I had shot and was hurt bad. I sat and watched it thru the brush for a half hour. It watched me too! Then it got up, looked around, and just stood there! I was almost ready to try to sneak closer and put another arrow in it. When I moved it trotted away and seemed as good as new! 
Went over to where it was laying. No blood? Humm very weird! 
I then walked to where I had shot at the biggest doe. Ahhh yes we have a red trail in the patchy snow to follow, it went straight away from where I had been setting! I found the nice 125 lb doe piled up at 100 steps. Came back and paced off the shot distance. 45 yards! Yikes! I was lucky! The Haymaker broad head entered the meat of the right leg, then through the lower portion of the chest and exited the left leg!
 She is skinned quartered and hung up and will become delicious ground venison by Monday night.

Sometimes it better to be lucky than good. And you cant get them if you don't shoot at them. And you cant shoot one from the couch! (Just some of my many sayings!) 
I was very lucky that I did not wound this deer and have it get away. I need to try my bow at 45 yards and see where it is hitting! Probably low and to the right about 7 inches.
We have venison, will survive the winter! Ok I get a little carried away sometimes too!

Just a old PA deer hunter and story teller!

Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2019 at 10:08am
BTW Tom, as of Friday your county still has 1600 doe tags available for bow if your grandson wants to take the bow back out.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic