This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD6G capability?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wes (VA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD6G capability?
    Posted: 25 Oct 2019 at 8:26am
Ive got some overgrown pasture with a bunch of cedars from saplings to about 10-12" in diameter. We have a T650 bobcat with grapple that grubs the stuff up to about 6". Theres a 6g fairly close by for sale, just wondering if it would handle the bigger stuff. Thanks, Wes
Sponsored Links

CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2019 at 8:57am
it would if you had a grapple, but you will be stuck with the bucket unless you build one.   also it wont be nearly as nimble and tear up the ground alot more but yes could be done.  just make sure its not a pos someone is trying to get rid of
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2019 at 1:50pm
Have not met the tree I could not remove with a HD5G - just need to work harder and smarter to get the job done , if 48 HP - HD5G can do it a 6 should handle it fine . 
 Did find my FD5 dozer at 78 HP also worked well on trees , just needed to use the angle blade to carve our the root ball on 3 sides of the real big ones before pushing them over .But did the same with the HD5 but as could push higher up on trunk with the 5 leverage works for you 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Leop View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2019 at 3:14pm
One piece of advice from an owner of a 6g who bought his machine for the same types of jobs.

The machine can do it, no doubt about that. But what I have found is that these older machines need a lot of care and maintenance and watching out for. They are old, leak oil and some parts are hard to find.

If you want a machine to do the job AND a hobbie machine to take care of, part hunt for, and in some cases make parts from scratch for then the HD6G is a fine machine.

If you just want the job done and then go inside to watch football then go rent one of the rubber tracked bobcats. At half the size they will get the job done in half the time, tear up the ground less, and will be out of your hair the second you tell the rental company to come get it.

Just my advice. In fact it is the exact same advice i got before i bought my 6G. Of course I ignored it when i bought mine; a fact that my wife makes sure i will never forget.

Cheers.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2019 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by Wes (VA) Wes (VA) wrote:

Ive got some overgrown pasture with a bunch of cedars from saplings to about 10-12" in diameter. We have a T650 bobcat with grapple that grubs the stuff up to about 6". Theres a 6g fairly close by for sale, just wondering if it would handle the bigger stuff. Thanks, Wes

Rent a stump grinder attachment for the T650...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Wes (VA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wes (VA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2019 at 8:27pm
Haha good advice Dave, Dad told me to just go at them with a chainsaw and then when the stunps rot, itd be easy pickin for the bobcat. I guess im lookin for a reason to pick up another machine. Ive thought of renting a dozer as theres a place in town that offers that too, but i could probably own something like the 6g for what theyd want in rent??? ..But if something breaks, id probably be fixin it not watchin football-who has time for that?      Ive got plenty of projects though so if I didnt have to work on it thats fine too. Oh and he said it has a 4in1 bucket on it.
Leop View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2019 at 11:04pm
Well if you need an excuse, that's a whole different story!

HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2019 at 9:15pm
Wes. I have owned several. If it is a later model 6g you will be better off. I put a late motor in the last 1 I had. A whole lot more hp, heavier crank shaft, different front end on the motor. You will be digging out the bigger trees. If you have time they will work. Unfortunately my darn back has gotten too bad to operate anymore.

Edited by HD6GTOM - 26 Oct 2019 at 9:18pm
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2019 at 9:16pm
Motor
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2019 at 7:37pm
For smaller trees here is what you need on your skid loader 
[TUBE]rNv0cyzc90k[/TUBE]

Ask shamless how this works on his tractor , he bought one for 3 point mount for clearing trees 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7OLJif43YM
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic