This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wet clutch purposely run without oil?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wet clutch purposely run without oil?
    Posted: 23 Oct 2019 at 7:31pm
I have an HD6G dozer with a wet type clutch that I am adjusting. In the course of adjusting the clutch I see no oil in the clutch housing.

Upon further investigation it appears that there has not been oil in the system for a very long time - far longer than I have owned the tractor.

Here is the thing though. The prior owner was a machinist, welder, fabricator. He was well known to take good care of his things. Is it plausible that being unable to find or afford parts that he choose to run the wet clutch dry and be gentle with the machine?

He is deceased now so I cant ask him for clarification on what he was doing or why. What do you guys think?

Should i bite the bullet and fix the entire thing. Cant find the pumps anymore so you have an adapter, new pump, new lines and hoses, ect. The machine ran fine with it dry in there for the last two years!

Thanks,

Leo
Sponsored Links

HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2019 at 10:38pm
If you have a wet clutch machine there should be a dip stick in the engine compartment in front of your left foot. Dog gone now I cannot remember what type oil goes in there. Memory is foggy here. I thought some of the older hd6's were dry clutch machines.
Leop View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2019 at 10:58pm
Tom, there are two dipsticks on the left hand side of the tractor, one for the engine and the other descends down to the belly pan and terminates into what appears to be the aluminium sump for the wet clutch. Both have oil in them.

This is definetly a wet clutch machine in that the clutch is identical to the wet clutch drawing in the parts manual, the clutch housing has an oil filter, and there are hoses commin and going to what appears to be a hydraulic pump under the fuel injection pump.

And yet, not a drop of oil in the clutch housing or any of the hoses. It has been dry in there for a long time.

???????
gemdozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemdozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2019 at 6:17am
I am't sure the cluch housing should't have full oil in but the aluminum tank should be full and am still have a small inventory wet cluch parts.
Mactractor View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mactractor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2019 at 1:35pm
Pump not working perhaps. They have the same mounting and drive as the fuel transfer pumps on Detroit 2 stroke engines. You can use one of those to get the oil circulating again if your pump is shot. The oil circulation serves a very important purpose, it cools the friction and spacer plates to prevent them warping. You DON'T want that to happen. The oil to use is a 10W trans fluid or 10W ATF.

Edited by Mactractor - 24 Oct 2019 at 1:37pm
pinball View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2019 at 2:23pm
apparently its been running fine. you said there was oil in the sump so why do you think there is a problem.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2019 at 3:50pm
If it was made to run in oil I would think no oil would be very bad. But how much different is the runs in oil clutch from the dry type. I know some inovative people used steering clutch plates and brake linings made to run in oil in Cat D6's that where built as dry steering machines. They did not add a pump just filled the compartment. So would dry clutch HD6 parts fit and work in a wet clutch HD6 compartment?

Since you stated the pervious owner  was a good steward of his equipment he may used non standard parts if that was easier to find. Any possibility to find any of his friends like mechanics that may have helped and ask questions.
Leop View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2019 at 5:11pm
One question mac. If im not slipping the clutch then where is the heat coming from. Is the clutch designed to slip when i push her against something that will not move.

This is a hobbie, around my property machine. Used now snd then, and even then not on any big jobs.

Given the light use do you think that I could get away with the fluid in the housing for lubrication, but not actualy circulating?
Leop View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2019 at 5:17pm
Ray, I was think that maybe he was running a dry clutch inside of oil bath wet clutch housing just because that might have been the only clutch housing he had.

However, I compared the clutch in the machine with the drawings in the parts manual and it looks exactly like the wet clutch in the manual and nothing like the two wet clutches.

As to whethere he made custom discs, or used dry disks in there or something else I cant say. Being a machinist, and not a rich man I would have to assume that he had to make what he could't find or afford.

Leo
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mactractor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2019 at 6:28pm
Yep, you could be ok. The heat comes from continuously re-engaging clutch in a loading or short distance dozing operation. There is always a small amount of slip that is anavoidable. Working in above mentioned situations, the re-engagements can total up to somewhere between 50 and 100 per hour. That adds a lot more heat to the assembly that has already absorbed engine heat from the flywheel. The discs are more sensitive to heat than the friction disc of a dry clutch. If you can fit a decelerator pedal, and use it to throttle off every time you disengage/re-engage engine clutch, you save the clutch assembly a lot of heat, and get a lot more service out of the entire drive line.
Leop View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2019 at 7:40pm
Hmmm. Interesting idea with the throttle
gemdozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemdozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2019 at 7:44pm
You could change the oil filter on rear cluch housing he mabe pluged and cluch is missing lubrification or you could have bad oil in reservoir
Lazyts View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lazyts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2019 at 8:14pm
I just finished repairing an old HD11 with the "first generation" wet clutch- it had a similar problem- run low on oil.  The problem with that is the wet clutch bearings are open roller bearings, depending on the oil circulation to lube them.  In this case, the pilot bearing in the flywheel failed, and also the needle bearings in the throw out assembly, where lever linkage attaches to the release bearing.  Then, one of the blocks fell off and got into the clutch.  After putting it all together with new bearings and seals, I was shocked to find that the oil pump was still operational!  No real major oil leaks, just seepage over time, and not checking the oil I think.  It was unfortunate that those early machines had relatively small reservoirs for steering, transmission and clutch- all separate.
From what you describe, I would suspect the oil pump to be at fault in your case, if that aluminum housing is full of oil.  
Leop View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2019 at 8:50pm
Hmmm. Interesting idea with the throttle
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mactractor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2019 at 10:03pm
Lucky with that pump Trev. Usually if they run dry, like the wet steer pumps, its game over.
I've used the fuel pump from 71 Series Jimmies before for HD6 engine clutch. It worked just fine. Don't need pressure, just some flow.
HD6 Merv View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6 Merv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2019 at 1:27am
what Mac said is right. Also where suction pipe goes in the sump; there is a suction screen in there. Remove pipe and you can lift screen out. Also pays to overfill the sump so makes it easier for pump to suck oil up.  

tits tyres and tracks

they all cost you money
Leop View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2019 at 3:22pm
To answer an earlier question, I am sure that the pump is not working because the return line to the cover of the clutch housing has tons of cracks in it, and is bone dry. I would have expected an oily mess all over the belly pan if the pump was trying to move oil through that hose!

In fact i was shocked that the sump still had oil in it. That's why i never caught the issue. I figured if the dipstick showed oil that I must be fine.

So it will take me some time to find a DD pump. Any opinions about just blocking off the drain back to the sump and then filling the clutch housing with oil up to the old level of the drain?
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mactractor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2019 at 5:17pm
Lazyts highlighted the other important function of circulating oil, bearings that rely on it for lube that dont in a dry clutch assembly. Those DD pumps should not be difficult to find.
gemdozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemdozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2019 at 5:51pm
You better removed the pump first maybe the shaft or the coupling pump drive is brooked
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mactractor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2019 at 9:14pm
good point Hector. Those flimsy drives often chew out on the steering pumps.
Leop View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2019 at 11:02pm
Okay guys, you know better, so off it comes first thing tomorrow.

BTW, why did Allis Chalmers make everything so tight on these things? You would think that on a machine this size that they could have spared two inches between the frame and engine for a human hand and wrench to fit in. Add in the bucket in the down position, and this machine is just a bear to work on!

P.S. is it normal that the floor boards and body are metric fastners and everything else is imperial? My tractor was built befor the fiat purchase so its a bit puzzling (and a PITA) to deal with mixed hardware like that.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Leo
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mactractor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2019 at 3:18am
No tracked loader is easy to work on, but as with all crawler tractors, you wont find any easier  to work on than Allis Chalmers. The narrow frame on HD6 allowed superior visibility compared to the competition, and also allowed up to a 22" shoe to be worn without stepping out to 'swamp tractor' gauges. Again, unmatched by the competition. All threads on AC construction equipment are imperial. If you have some metric, someone has messed with it.

Edited by Mactractor - 26 Oct 2019 at 1:25pm
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2019 at 4:30am
"All threads on AC equipment are imperial. If you have some metric, someone has messed with it."

Or it came out of the Italian factory?

And, if not and it has been messed with" to that extent there might be some other interesting finds
Leop View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2019 at 3:04am
Update:

Okay, i got into the clutch housing, pulled the locking tab thing off the clutch adjuster ring and adjusted that big ring by turning it clockwise.

The ring is very hard to turn. Requires a block of wood and some good hamer blows to get it turning. Is this normal?

I have also gone over four five notches and still not getting the pull force spec on the clutch handle. So do I just keep adjusting it?

It does not seam thatOkay, I adjusted the clutch and it looks like its engaging properly now. It was more than one or two clicks though. It also did not feel like it was realyto tighten the pull force very much
Jhilton69 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jhilton69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2023 at 3:11pm
I know your post os old but I'm running into the same problem with getting my clutch ring to move how did u get yours moving
gemdozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemdozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2023 at 7:17pm
The wet cluch have  a lock adjustement on the ring adjusting and you ned to loosed that lock  hover the nutch on the plate back and turned the ring  and if she do't turned maybe the tread on ring and plate are freeze together
Jhilton69 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jhilton69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2023 at 8:53pm
Thank u for the reply. I figured it out after looking at it in several directions. I had to lose the 2 nuts and use a chisel and big hammer and turn the inside ring. The notched ring it shows in the book to turn doesn't turn its bolted to the flywheel.
gemdozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemdozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2023 at 9:46am
Did you removed the lock ring and did you try turning the ring counterclock wise and could be too the cluch disc are to worn and the adjustement is at end
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic