This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New member from Germany... with a A-C M crawler!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hendrik from Germany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New member from Germany... with a A-C M crawler!
    Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 8:29am
Hi everybody, I'd like to introduce myself to this board. 
My name is Hendrik, I live in Germany and I have been collecting antique tractors for many years. My speciality are US tractors. My latest purchase is this 1938 A-C M crawler.
Despite its cab it is still in very original condition, very complete. This M was exported to Great Britain under the War Ag. The cab was mounted in the late 1940s or early 1950s.
After rebuilding the carb she starts and runs great. Here are some pics.

My first question here:
Is there anybody out there who can give me some information on how to adjust the steering clutches regarding the free movement of the thrust pins? Thank you.

Hendrik

Sponsored Links

CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 8:33am
Very nice looking machine,  thank you for sharing and welcome to the forum.  Someone who knows will chime in to answer your question.
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 8:56am
Welcome to the site Hendrik. This is THE best place to get conversations and information regarding Allis Chalmers tracked dozers.

That is a great looking tractor you have and Im sure someone on this forum will be able to help. Please send pics of our other pieces of equipment. We love pics here.
HD16DC, Bobcat 863 Turbo, Oliver 1855, John Deere 855,
NomoreJohnDeere View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NomoreJohnDeere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 9:06am
neat machine
couple for sale in Kansas if your looking for a blade

HD3
Hendrik from Germany View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hendrik from Germany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 10:17am
Thank you! Sorry, no blade needed on this one. It was built as an agricultural crawler and I am going to keep it all original. It even won't be repainted, she will only get a coat of linseed oil.

Here are some pics of some of my other toys:

German Hanomag R22, 1951.

French Farmall Cub, 1955.

Irish Fordson N, 1931.

Oliver Super 88 Diesel, 1956.

Fordson E27N with Diesel carb, 1946

Hanomag R450EL, 1961.

John Deere Model D, 1947.

Lanz Bulldog D7506, 1942.

John Deere Model B, 1941

Chrysler Newport Cordoba, 1970.Wink

Hendrik
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 2:32pm
Thank you for sharing your collection, it's very nice. Welcome to the site, someone will come along with the instruction on the adjustment you need.  Tom
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 5:56pm
You have some very nice tractors.......... more info about this motor !

Fordson E27N with Diesel carb, 1946   ---------- what fuel do you burn ?

SpecificationsEdit

The E27N retained the Model N's 28.5 h.p. petrol and tractor vaporizing oil (TVO) side-valve engine that was fitted with cast iron pistons, splash feed lubrication, magneto ignition and a hand starting handle

Edited by steve(ill) - 15 Oct 2019 at 6:01pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 6:08pm
Hendrik,
Welcome! My friend Ted has a M. I have not seen it. Thanks for sharing your collection!
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 9:11pm
Very nice toys! You either have an understanding wife or live alone! LOL!
Some one must know how make the adjustments he's asking for. Who's got a manual?

Edited by SteveM C/IL - 15 Oct 2019 at 9:13pm
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 11:58pm
Welcome to the forum!
I also have an M but I don't have any information on how to make adjustments.  Where do you live in Germany?  I was in the Hanover area a few weeks ago.  Spent 11 months in Wildflicken 50 years ago. 
Great collection, did you get some of the tractors in the states?

"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hendrik from Germany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 3:53am
Thank you for your replies!
I have the manuals for the M crawler. So that's not the problem. 
The question I have is concerning the adjustment of the bell cranks/ steering leverage play at the underside of the transmission cover. 
The manual states that it's EXTREMELY important to adjust the bell crank leverage to avoid the throw out bearings running against the clutches.
My question is: how important ist that really? Because of the cab on my M crawler it would be a pain in the a§§ to remove the cab and to lift the heavy transmission cover. 

@JohnCO:
I live in North Western Germany, not far away from the shore and the Dutch border. And about 2 1/2 hours away from Hannover.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hendrik from Germany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 3:58am
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

You have some very nice tractors.......... more info about this motor !

Fordson E27N with Diesel carb, 1946   ---------- what fuel do you burn ?

SpecificationsEdit

The E27N retained the Model N's 28.5 h.p. petrol and tractor vaporizing oil (TVO) side-valve engine that was fitted with cast iron pistons, splash feed lubrication, magneto ignition and a hand starting handle

Steve, this Fordson E27N was originally exported to Sweden with a special gas oil carburetor and a special air intake pre-heating system to burn Diesel fuel (gas oil)

I have just rebuilt that carb and had it running again with plain gas. It runs but not very smooth yet. I will do some experiments by mixing Diesel fuel to the gas. may be it run smoother with a mixture. Note: we don't have TVO, distillate or kerosene over here in Germany. Just gas and diesel.

Hendrik 

SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 8:02am
I suppose the adjustment is important enough for it to be pointed out as "DONT RIDE THE THROW OUT BEARING"....my guess is it will shorten the life. I have no idea how that adjustment is made or how to verify clearance.
allisrutledge View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisrutledge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 11:42am
If the lever has free movement before it disengages the clutch I would think it will be fine. I have never adjusted mine but it is not ran much. Do you by chance have a friend in Belgium that also collects American tractors? Welcome to the forum. Scott
Allis Chalmers still exist in my mind and barns
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hendrik from Germany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2019 at 8:54am
Thank you Scott.

Here's what the service manual says:

(Please delete if this harms copyright policies)

My M steers and brakes well but I have the symptome that is meant in topic#4. As removing the heavy transmission case would be a LOT of work just for turning in two cap screws, I am asking if this is really necessary... or should I leave it alone?

Hendrik
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisrutledge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2019 at 9:53pm
It depends, what you are going to use it for? If you are going to run it 2 or3 times a year during a show I would think it will be ok, if you plan on using it every day you may want to take the time to adjust it. Does your lever move about 5 inches? I'll check mine but that sounds about right. Good luck ,Scott
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hendrik from Germany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2019 at 3:15am
Scott, 
I have this crawler just for fun. No hard work at all, just playing around a few times a year.
Adjusting the free movement on the levers is easy to do from the outside. I checked the free movement and adjusted it to appr. 4 inches.

Hendrik 
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote allisrutledge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2019 at 7:39am
Hendrik,
Best wishes and a great looking M. Nice to see the side curtains on the engine, most were destroyed or threw away. If you come to the states plan it around an Allis show. "Gathering of the Orange" or any of the great Allis featured shows. I spent some time in Belgium with my job and visited a collector that had a few Oil Pulls and went to a tractor show near the Netherlands. Great looking Hanomag , you don't see those here. Again ,welcome to the forum and have fun with your M. Scott
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic