This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Silo Question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Armand(AZ) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 6:43pm
This is the D-17 I am displaying with the 50 series cutter and wagon.  I made the corn background display but it doesn't show up to good with the glass cabinet doors.   Not sure if the 17 would be the right tractor to pull the cutter and the wagon??   Probably a question for some of you who farmed with them

Sponsored Links

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 6:54pm
hmmm.. what's a silo without something in it ! Once the silo's built, I'd like to see scale corn cobs or wheat or whatever you guys store in them ,being processed into grain(?) and then blown up into the silo.
Not THAT should keep Armand busy for what 3-4 days ??Wink

Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 7:14pm
yep...paint sum wheat yeller!
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 7:26pm
Armand, Folks,
 Our silos would have been filled with grass silage or corn silage. Which was allowed to settle and juice out the bottom, creating a very aromatic blend! Falling somewhere between sweet and skunk! Usually one was filled with corn one with grass. We were behind the times a little and the WD45 or the WD would have been the tractor of choice on our 80 acre dairy farm. Somehow my dad found time to also do custom silo filling too! Wished we would have had a D17. Sure would have been a nice addition to the farm.
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 15 Oct 2019 at 7:27pm
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 12:13am
Sugarmaker, I'm curious as to how many head of cattle your dad milked and fed from the 80 acres?
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
Armand(AZ) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Armand(AZ) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 7:35am
Pretty difficult to see is the picture above, but maybe if you download it and zoom in.  I bought the green stalks at Micheals that were about 2 feet long and cut them in shorter lengths to represent corn stalks.   Then I added an ear of 1/16 corn to each.  I bought the corn at Dyersville a couple years ago.  I heated and embedded a small piece of wire in the butt end of each ear.  Then cut notches in a small piece of shrink tubing to represent husks and painted each green.  Then added the ear to each stalk.   And that effort took the better part of a morning.   The cut stalks are pieces of cut tooth picks.  The base is Styrofoam carved for the rows and painted brown and black.   Don't have to be crazy but it helps!!!
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 8:27am
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

years ago I had 80 acres of very wet corn still in the field. (about 25% moisture) a local dairy farm wanted some wet corn and got in contact with me for it. soooooo...about Christams time I was out with the "G" combine harvesting the corn. when I delivered it to the dairy, they had an Allis silage blower on their A.O.Smith Harvestor silo (blue one). these people were all green, and had a green blower setting about 50 ft away, I asked him why they weren't using it? he told me the Allis blower was 10 times better than the green one. I don't know how tall that silo was, but it was a tall one!   

Neighbors where I grew up farming, always felt only green tractors and equipment was the only good ones, but they had an orange round bailer, which was the best.

Dusty
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
Gary View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 8:31am

The Model 50 was a Forage Harvester, not a Corn Picker.

It could have a Single Row Corn Head attached that would cut the Corn Stalk off near ground level, chop it all up and blow it into the Wagon.

You could also remove the Corn Head and add a Grass Attachment with a Sickle Bar to cut and chop Hay , Clover etc.

Gary
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by JohnCO JohnCO wrote:

Sugarmaker, I'm curious as to how many head of cattle your dad milked and fed from the 80 acres?
John,
 My Dad had, at the most, 44 head of good grade Holsteins in the barn, plus calves and heifers.
 When milking good, the milk hauler had to stop and pick up milk every day as the old Dariy Kool tank was only a 250 gallon unit! We also had another farm 5 miles away that had maybe 60 tillable acres for crops and hay. Always had a group of replacement heifers at that farm too. Spent many a hour riding WD45's back and forth hauling wagons of hay.
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 1:51pm
At the rate these guys are talking next thing they will want to see silage being blown into the wagon. Come on guys this is more realistic than most farm model you will se..
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2019 at 6:56pm
You mean its not going to blow grass .........?Wink
Regards,
 Chris
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2019 at 3:17pm
Not from corn stalks
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2019 at 6:42pm
And corn too.......!
Regards,
 Chris
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic