This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

190xt power director questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 190xt MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 190xt power director questions
    Posted: 25 Sep 2019 at 6:37am
Hi I have a 1970 190 xt that we bought this spring. So far I have done a few minor repairs, changed all fluids and filters, and have maybe put 50 hours on it. When we bought the tractor, it had two hoses and gauges that went from the check ports on the power director valve up to the floor plate. I put some new gauges in them and checked drive pressures, and have been watching them since I’ve been running the tractor around. The pressure is a around 270 psi with a 5 psi plus minus bounce, and a slight drop when I turn the wheel in either direction for just a second. The steering has always been a little stiff, and the other day while disking, the steering got tighter, and I lost some pressure on the pd, bringing me down to 200. Taking advice I’ve read on this forum, I cleaned the flow divider on the pump mainfold and the pressure relief also. The steering became effortless, put the pd pressure didn’t change. I shimmed the pd to bring it up to 300 psi @ 1600 with cold oil ( this a manual pto tractor). When you work it and get the oil heated up, the pressure drops to 275 with the same 5 psi plus minus bounce and slight pressure drop when you turn the wheel either way By the way I’m using Mobil 424 hyd fluid in the hydraulic system. I checked the specs and it’s supposed to meet or exceed power fluid 821. My question is, am I working about nothing here? Should I just be happy with where I’m at with those pressures, or should I put one more shim in to raise the pressure just a bit more to compensate for the lost pressure with hot fluid? Thanks to everyone that posts information on here. I’ve owned a few green ones but I’ve always wanted an allis. I’m enjoying it a lot. The advice on this forum is very valuable. Thanks for any replies!
Sponsored Links

Rhoadesy_65 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhoadesy_65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2019 at 7:33am
On my 200 I had a lift cylinder leak that lead to low hyd oil levels. This causes loss of steering, PD and hydraulics. But I assume you already checked fluid levels. I run universal transmission/hydraulic oil from Tractor supply, but Agco still sells PermaTran 821. difference is Agco wants $90  for 5 gal, TSC wants $40. Have you had the same issue with steering since you cleaned out the manifold and flow divider? I dont have gauges hooked up to mine so I am not sure. Maybe is its working right now thats what it is supposed to do. My steering is pretty effortless btw, only it wasnt was when i had low hyd levels. 
Farmin' with 1981 7010 PD, Great Grandpas 1947 Farmall H, JD 7000 planter, JD model B drill, NH 316 Baler, NH 1411 Discbine ,JD 100 8 Shank Chisel. Darke County OH
190xt MN View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 190xt MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2019 at 10:39am
No ever since I cleaned the flow divider out, it has been behaving pretty well and the power steering is still effortless. The pressure for the pd does drop when fluid is hot, but I think that could be just viscosity related. I chose the Mobil oil because Mobil has a good reputation in our area and is reasonably priced. I’m just wondering if I should throw in one more shim to account for the small pressure drops in the pd when I turn the wheel either way. Thanks for the reply!
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhoadesy_65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2019 at 5:57am
Not have much experience with the technical side yet on these tractors, so cant answer the shim question. Maybe MACK or DR ALLIS will reply with answer to that. Oil brand doesnt matter as long as its the right grade and you keep an eye on levels. I try to remember when I put Hydraulic fluid in that eventually it'll end up in implements and then shared to the other tractors, so thats why I try not to cheap out on 303 oil. But I'm sure Mobile is good oil. As long as your steering stays good and your PD doesn't seem to be slipping i would say you are fine. It would make sense for the pressure to drop a littlewhen you steer because you are causing oil to flow somewhere else, so the pressure at the PD would be slightly less, but thats just whats coming out of the mind of an Electrical Engineering student.

Edited by Rhoadesy_65 - 26 Sep 2019 at 6:00am
Farmin' with 1981 7010 PD, Great Grandpas 1947 Farmall H, JD 7000 planter, JD model B drill, NH 316 Baler, NH 1411 Discbine ,JD 100 8 Shank Chisel. Darke County OH
190xt MN View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 190xt MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2019 at 6:20am
I ordered some shims from Agco and got them last night. 3 more brought me up to 300 psi with warm oil and that lessened the pressure variation when turning the wheel also. I agree with you on not cheaping out on oil, the Mobil is good oil and about mid range price wise $60.00 for 5 gallons if it on sale at fleet farm. As far as the xt, so far so good. If everything stays the way it is, I’m just going to chase down some pesky hydraulic leaks and keep using it. It’s a very snappy tractor and a lot of fun to use. Would hate to be without it!! How do you like your 200? How long have you had it?
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhoadesy_65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2019 at 7:06am
I like my 200. Needs some brake work, just a bit more than I might want to do myself since Im currently a junior in college and time is scarce. It might go to the local Agco dealer to get that done. Its not an issue as I just dont use the brakes haha, engine slows it down good. I have owned it since July, bought it off my uncle who had it for about 2 years. Use it to do hay work, also its me and dads heavy tillage tractor. Got a JD 100 chisel plow, it was a 12 shank, dropped four of the shanks and it pulled it pretty well in 3 high (or low i cant remember) in heavy sod. It has made my life much easier compared to the D-19 gas it replaced. I dont know if i will buy another gas tractor to do work with even though i have a better chance of working on them, just too finicky. The 200 is also a joy to work with, Dad wont admit he likes the tractor because he has a 75hp new Massey that the 200 surpassed to be the largest.

Edited by Rhoadesy_65 - 26 Sep 2019 at 7:09am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic