This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

which stick weld rod,,,,?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2019 at 11:42am
T-bone, ye gotta sometimes do a little prep, like grind the paint and rust off the stuff... Wink
https://allischalmers.com/forum/uploads/242/Ten_Ton_right.jpg
Got tired of reaching under to hook up the tow chains, so welded D rings on. and flip them up when not using them, or sometimes use them as a step. No fancy weld but they aren't coming off either.
https://allischalmers.com/forum/uploads/242/D_rings.jpg

My welds aren't that great, but I make sure they aren't going to break and make myself weld it again... LOL

He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
Sponsored Links

desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2019 at 11:43am

Hey JC,,,I'm gonna have to "HMmmmm" too like ole TBone,,,,UMmmm,,,,do all arc welders have straight and or reverse polarity,,,,?? I'ma gonna have to claim  ignorant on this oneWinkWink,,,sheeese,,,,WinkWink
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2019 at 11:53am
Paint?  What is the paint you speak of??WinkLOL
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2019 at 12:08pm
Tbone you need to buy the cheap(Wink for Joe frugal) HF angle grinders by the dozen so you have every type wire wheel and grinder all ready to go without changing wheels all the time.Wink 

Wink I understand and do the "farmer welding" but a pass of the good flowing 7014 over the top can make it look almost professional.LOLLOL
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2019 at 3:09pm
Suppose so. I only have 2. A 7 inch and a 4 inch. Not nearly enough! But see....I’m frugal too!
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2019 at 4:38pm
I'm gonna have to "HMmmmm" too like ole TBone,,,,UMmmm,,,,do all arc welders have straight and or reverse polarity,,,,?? I'ma gonna have to claim  ignorant on this oneWinkWink

only DC machines have reverse polarity. Normally the two leads PLUG INTO a socket.. and you just pull them out and put into the other socket.. Some machines have a SWITCH to reverse the polarity........ AC has no polarity, so not needed.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2019 at 5:09pm
I bought two little rod tote ovens a few years back, 120v load with rods a day or two before use, plug it in all nice and toasted when go to use. Another factor, PREP, PREP, Prep, eliminate Mill finish and any paint or rust to start, 7018 will burn thru rust but at a cost, ugly welds, chance of inclusions.

Edited by DMiller - 17 Sep 2019 at 5:10pm
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2019 at 6:13pm
I haven't bought a welding rod in over 20 years. At work one day, the bosses son had 2 pallets of old welding rods all ready to dump in the scrap hopper. I brought about 30 lbs of it home because I could see 6011 and 6013 on most of them.
 The welder I use is an old Forney buzz box and it does what I need done most of the time. The x SIL brought some 7018 to me once, he's a Boiler maker welder. I just laughed, watching him try to strike an arch with that rod. He went to school to learn to weld and passed all his tests, but wouldn't believe me when I told him he couldn't lay a bead with his 7018 rod.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2019 at 9:31am
Originally posted by CTuckerNWIL CTuckerNWIL wrote:

I haven't bought a welding rod in over 20 years. At work one day, the bosses son had 2 pallets of old welding rods all ready to dump in the scrap hopper. I brought about 30 lbs of it home because I could see 6011 and 6013 on most of them.
 The welder I use is an old Forney buzz box and it does what I need done most of the time. The x SIL brought some 7018 to me once, he's a Boiler maker welder. I just laughed, watching him try to strike an arch with that rod. He went to school to learn to weld and passed all his tests, but wouldn't believe me when I told him he couldn't lay a bead with his 7018 rod.
You ought to see how they throw it away where I work! 55gallon barrel at a time, or a 'flat'. One barrel, the weld shop foreman told me the rods were $10 a piece! Don't remember what they were for. Throwing away stick rods one thing as the flux does go bad in time but they do the same thing with wire and tig rod.

I've never worked anywhere that is as wasteful as this one!
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2019 at 9:45am
Originally posted by IBWD MIke IBWD MIke wrote:

[QUOTE=CTuckerNWIL]I haven't bought a welding rod in over 20 years. At work one day, the bosses son had 2 pallets of old welding rods all ready to dump in the scrap hopper. I brought about 30 lbs of it home because I could see 6011 and 6013 on most of them.
You ought to see how they throw it away where I work! 55gallon barrel at a time, or a 'flat'. One barrel, the weld shop foreman told me the rods were $10 a piece! Don't remember what they were for. Throwing away stick rods one thing as the flux does go bad in time but they do the same thing with wire and tig rod.

Hey Mike,,,do they let you take some of thet rod home,,???Wink

Edited by desertjoe - 18 Sep 2019 at 9:46am
modirt View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2019 at 10:25am
As per Joe's original question, I bought a few pounds of rod yesterday......Hobart......and it was $8 to $10 per pound, depending on what it was. Is that high or normal?

IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2019 at 12:49pm
Joe, we go back and forth on being able to bring stuff home. Right now it's NO! However, the 'manager' and I use that term lightly, in charge is on his way out.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2019 at 4:31pm

You know Mike,,I just cannot figure some people and their ways of thinkin on that sort of stuff,,,,,,,I remember the wife and I were drivin up and down alleys lookin for some cardboard boxes to put unused clothes we were going to give to the Hospital Auxillary and we come on to a dumpster that was plunb full and I mean PLUMB full of unopened toys of all kinds and some new clothes,,,so me beenin a resourceful person,,we started loadin everything I could reach from ou side the dumpster,,,,,,until a dude comes out the back door of the store and DEMANDS we stop "stealing" all thet stuff,,!!  I told him we were going to take to the Red Cross for Christmas distribution but he kept tellin me to leave. The argument started when I told him that his store no longer owned the stuff in the dumpster and furthermore,,the City owned the alley he was standing on. Bout that time the wife gets in his ugly face and starts to tell him off something fierce and says he's gonna call the cops, so we leave as much as I didn't want to,,,I doubt them sorry people are able to sleep at night,,,,,
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2019 at 8:36pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic