This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

as if i didn't have enough to do....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: as if i didn't have enough to do....
    Posted: 07 Sep 2019 at 3:57am
put a pork loin in the smoker yesterday, forgot to check the time I put it in, and went to check it...the temp gauge only said 100 degrees...WTF? then a bingo hit me and I spun around to check the yard light...yep it's not on! that's not a good thing! the same circuit runs the freezer that is FULL! %&$#@*^$(! ran down in the basement...it's flooded! double ^#@&%(^$! checked the breakers...reset one, and the pump won't turn on. chit! after trying different things, I figgered the sump pump died or the motor stuck...anyway...it kept tripping the breaker, then it quit doing that. unplugged it and i'll hafta replace that tomarrow so the basement can drain out, ruined another good pair of shoes walking thru that skanky water! guess i'll need sum Clorox down there again. I finally got the freezer and outside light going again. appears another china made wall outlet also went bad too! looks a little black!
Sponsored Links

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2019 at 5:29am
dominos.......happens here ALL the time...
having a FULL freezer is real good, can be off for 2-3 days and nothing goes bad....
having the sump pump AND the freezer on the same breaker is BAD !
Each should be on it's own breaker,though I suspect your panel is a little 'cramped'...you really need to rewire or add a 'pony panel'. Maybe buy one of the battery backed up sumppump kits as well. Some have alarm to say 'no AC power, now on battery'.
Yeah, like you 'need' 2 MORE jobs to add to the list.....

Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2019 at 7:55am
Just had to have that new outdoor kitchen. Think your getting ahead and Murphy shows up, never fails. Hopefully he's finished his visit and is off to visit someone else, AND NOT IN MINNESOTA!!!
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2019 at 1:34pm
If we're luck this winter the snow machine will be plugged into one of them cheap china made outlet Shamer has
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2019 at 3:30pm
Pigtail them recepticals and the rest will still work even if one goes bad .
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2019 at 6:59pm
Agree with Jay - the freezer needs its own circuit as does the sump pump and your outdoor kitchen should have several circuits depending on what you have out there. You need to get a good electrician out there to show you what you need and don't fry yourself. And if a breaker trips twice find out what is wrong, don't keep resetting it. That machine needs to be hooked to at least 100 feet of 14ga. wire and a 15 amp breaker. 
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2019 at 7:59pm
then outdoor kitchen will only have the freezer and a LED light in it, all other stuff is propane powered. I do have another outlet out in another building, I could run a heavy extension cord up to power stuff thru the winter. can outlets be added right under the meter box? around here if there's a house/building fire the fire department has to waite for the power company to remove the meter on the pole first. usually by that time it's to late to save the structure. I had a shut off installed under the meter that shuts off the power to the whole farm just for that reason. if I can have outlet(s) installed under that box, that would solve a lot of problems.
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2019 at 9:40pm
Installed outlets under that box could also supply you with free electricity! Big smile  Another suggestion is to get you a wifi thermometer for the smoker.  You stick it in the meat and it will alert you what the temp is and when it is done, and bunches of other stuff.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2019 at 9:52pm
wow, never heard of a fire dept. not allowed to 'pull a meter', must be a local regulation
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2019 at 7:49pm
WinkWink Just be careful around that sparky stuff, I am putting down the poking stick,LOL I really am.

I remember fan light you got fighting with ConfusedConfusedConfusedbefore. At least get handyman type if not a full on sparky to fix this stuff. I don't know what a professional would say,but the off switch at the pole sounds real good to me.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2019 at 10:57pm
yeah Lars...our local electric company raises all kinds of he!! if anyone pulls their meters. local fire dept did so on a few occasions and whew...the garbage they had to endure! they are real easy to pull, just like unplugging a big cord. I never heard what the big deal was either, unless the power guys want overtime that bad!   
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2019 at 11:08pm
o-k...doing investigating and the power to the freezer isn't on the same line as the sump pump, must have been just a coincidence that both quit at same time. the sump pump was shot and I have replaced that so the basement is draining now....whew! got the pump going about 4 this afternoon, looked down there a little while ago and it's about drained out. 1-1/2 inch hose out. had to buy some taller overshoes to go to the pit. local store had some firemen type boots so I bought them...lots taller. couldn't find any hip waders. about everything is ruined down there again PffffT! after I haul all that chit outta there, not gonna puts no more stuff down there...this is the 3rd time in past 40 sum years of doing that. hafta buy a few gallons of Clorox to spray down there now again for mold control.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 5:58am
well, you're MAKING progress.......
though it sounds like you're going to be building another  shed to put all that 'basement stuff' in !
gotta ask just how BIG is the sumppump pit ? 8hrs to drain is a looooooong time.

For some unknown reason I have 3 good sump pumps here even though I do NOT have a sumppump pit.....

as for the box under the main disconnect, yes, at least up here it's OK. Use one of those outdoor units WITH GFCI. hmm since the 'main' is 240, put TWO GFCI units in, one from each phase..... you always need extra......

Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 7:08am
Ever thought of some kind of back up pump system AND an alarm?

That alarm has saved my bacon more than once.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 12:26am
the pit prolly holds 15 gallons or so, but with the flooding all over the floor it just kept pumping til that was all gone. about everything down there that was on the floor is ruined. we haven't got everything out yet from the last flooding, it was just getting dry enough to carry up and out! it's a mess this time. prolly should put some kind of alarm on it. my luck i'd be gone and wouldn't hear it anyways! LOL
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 12:28am
still gotta replace the outlets outside and on the back porch, they is about on the blackish side. sucks when I can't find outlets made is America. everyone sells china made chit here.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 2:46pm
WinkI don't think there are any littler things that are sold by the 100's of thousands like outlets or water faucet made in the USA. I would put a challenge out but that O'l Joe would come up with a bunch some horder had hide. Wink And then crow that the price was hauling it off to save the poor grandaughter from dump fees.LOL

I was tired of the China faucets,and asked at the local hardware store if they could get a USA one and they said no. Maybe it is cause they are a True Value and have stay with company brand.
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 10:46am
The float switch on m MIL's sump got stuck and it flooded her basement. She replaced the pump and installed an alarm. I installed a couple of those wet floor alarms in my basement utility room where the furnace, water heater and water main enters the house just for peace of mind as I go in there rarely.
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 9:43pm
well I came home from coffee in town this morning about 0530, and the 45 ft pine tree in my front yard fell...onto the highway! my 180 was in the driveway with the crane on it and I hurriedly hooked onto the tree and pulled it into the yard. I can't believe someone didn't hit it! another danged thing I gotta take care of before I can get my new building! PfffffT!
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2019 at 1:32am
No rest for the wicked.  Don't even think about a big old fashioned bonfire, you know how that would end.
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2019 at 4:25am
Stan on the float switch.

Seems that the float switch has always been the Achilles heel for me also.  So i got some advice from a plumber (Pat matter of fact).  went with a technology where the switch is not on the pump.  There is a sensor in the pit that tells a box on the wall that the water level is to the level that the pump needs to come on  The box on the wall has some sort of electronic switch that turns the pump on and off.  Has worked thus far but has not been a year yet.

Concerning alarms.  I have a security system.  You can get flood sensors and a high water switch put in the sump on a separate zone.  That zone stays active regardless of whether the alarm is on standby or not.  Has saved my bacon more than once.

Dave
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2019 at 9:51am
Originally posted by Dave H Dave H wrote:

Stan on the float switch.

Seems that the float switch has always been the Achilles heel for me also.  So i got some advice from a plumber (Pat matter of fact).  went with a technology where the switch is not on the pump.  There is a sensor in the pit that tells a box on the wall that the water level is to the level that the pump needs to come on  The box on the wall has some sort of electronic switch that turns the pump on and off.  Has worked thus far but has not been a year yet.

Concerning alarms.  I have a security system.  You can get flood sensors and a high water switch put in the sump on a separate zone.  That zone stays active regardless of whether the alarm is on standby or not.  Has saved my bacon more than once.

Dave

Thanks Dave. I will pass that on to the MIL should it ever happen again. She is 90 this year, still lives by herself out on the farm and still cuts her own grass. We should all be so lucky.😀
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2019 at 10:46am
WinkCome on Shameless the bright side Wink It is not there to crunch the new kitchen.LOL

Edited by Ray54 - 13 Sep 2019 at 10:48am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic