This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Winneabago master cylinder

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200Tom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winneabago master cylinder
    Posted: 03 Sep 2019 at 10:47pm
Dang thing went out about 100 miles from home. Gotta have it towed about 25 miles to a repair shop tomorrow. Dang thing is tucked up under the floor boards with no opening in the floor boards. I can't even get these dang old hands in there to get the top off. Only way to ck the fluid level is with a mirror from thebottom. Gotta pull the Left front tire to get in there. Oh well at least I didn't find a great big old wasp nest under there.
Sponsored Links

KJCHRIS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KJCHRIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2019 at 12:22am
Tom, the best thing is you can still tell us about it!! Glad you are home and safe.
AC 200, CAH, AC185D bareback, AC 180D bareback, D17 III, WF. D17 Blackbar grill, NF. D15 SFW. Case 1175 CAH, Bobcat 543B,
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2019 at 1:58am

Hey Tom,,,save yourself a ton of dollars and look into this,,,, From all your posts that I've seen,,I'm thinkin you is a pretty resourceful person,,,(thas my new word for staving off all them that would call me cheep),,,,,LOL
  Seriously,, tho,,one quick POA thet I would look into is to use an angle grinder and carefully cut a "door" in the floor above the master cylinder for access to it from above. Make your cut nice and square!!  Save whatever the floor covering material is as you might want to re-use it. With your skills, you would then make you a new cover that is bout 1" bigger than the nice square hole and use some self tapping screws to attach the cover to the floor.
That will save you A TON OF MONEY when you show the repairman where the new ACCESS TO THE Master Cylinder IS,,,,,,,,,,,
 MMMMmmmm,,,,you DON'T HAVE TO THANK ME JUST YET,,,, just you remember me next time you catch a bunch of Walleyes,,,,,Clap I've done this "trick" before on a friends Discovery motor home as well as many, many cars and trks when replacing the In-Tank fuel pumps,,,makes a 4 hour job become a 2 hour job,,,!!!!!Clap
 MMmmmmm,,,don't forget them Walleyes,,,,Wink
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2019 at 5:30am
What DJ says is what Chevy guys do to replace fuelpumps on their PUs.....
I did it as well on my '57 Willys 4WD PU...
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Gary in da UP View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary in da UP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2019 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by desertjoe desertjoe wrote:

Hey Tom,,,save yourself a ton of dollars and look into this,,,, From all your posts that I've seen,,I'm thinkin you is a pretty resourceful person,,,(thas my new word for staving off all them that would call me cheep),,,,, alt="LOL" title="LOL" />
  Seriously,, tho,,one quick POA thet I would look into is to use an angle grinder and carefully cut a "door" in the floor above the master cylinder for access to it from above. Make your cut nice and square!!  Save whatever the floor covering material is as you might want to re-use it. With your skills, you would then make you a new cover that is bout 1" bigger than the nice square hole and use some self tapping screws to attach the cover to the floor.
That will save you A TON OF MONEY when you show the repairman where the new ACCESS TO THE Master Cylinder IS,,,,,,,,,,,
 MMMMmmmm,,,,you DON'T HAVE TO THANK ME JUST YET,,,, just you remember me next time you catch a bunch of Walleyes,,,,,Clap I've done this "trick" before on a friends Discovery motor home as well as many, many cars and trks when replacing the In-Tank fuel pumps,,,makes a 4 hour job become a 2 hour job,,,!!!!!Clap
 MMmmmmm,,,don't forget them Walleyes,,,,Wink

Cut the floor, don't worry about pretty, it's the least of your worries, you should easily Obama rig a patch panel from light sheet metal.
200Tom1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200Tom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2019 at 10:42pm
Fellows, Desert Joe and others. Already thought of this, idea is gonna happen as soon as I get the thing home. If I had the sense to look for it while it was at home, it would already have happened. I cannot believe I never thought to check the brake fluid.   Darn thing is about 100 miles from home now. Son lives in Guthery Center Iowa. It was towed into that town today. On his way home from work, he seen it at the local mechanic shop. If my hands were not full of arthritis I would have it fixed it along the road. Worries me, that darn master cylinder is well over a foot long and has more than 4 lines coming out of it.
200Tom1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200Tom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2019 at 10:43pm
Thanks Kris. I still had a tiny bit of brake, but the brake light came on. It was time to stop.
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2019 at 6:49am
Check the simple stuff first as I'm sure your aware. Leaking slave cylinders, caliper pistons, brake lines, bad proportioning valve, and low fluid & vacuum can cause a red light too. An ABS system I believe has its own light.
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
truckerfarmer View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truckerfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2019 at 6:54am
If you still had a little bit of brakes, I doubt it's the master cylinder. They are generally a go-no go. Sounds more likely that it blew a line or a wheel cylinder or caliper.
Looking at the past to see the future.
'53 WD, '53 WD45, WD snap coupler field cultivator, #53 plow,'53 HD5B dozer

Duct tape.... Can't fix stupidity. But will muffle the sound of it!
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2019 at 7:24am
After working on may of these machines over 20 years back I swore to NOT EVER own one. Cracked exhaust manifolds, cooked transmissions, differentials destroyed as the ring gear rusted from sitting where once rolling again ate EVERYTHING, brakes were a constant nightmare as were cooling systems and gasoline systems.

Class 6 units were some better with air brakes, pusher diesel engines and Allison automatics, more transit bus than ton gut wagon make overs. Then the electrical, plumbing and other issues I would not get into for customers, LP Gas problems, wasp nests the size of footballs in water heaters etc.

Then had the revelation the other day. MAY end up selling off our little slice of heaven,(I Got really OLD) seems things ON MYSELF break at a ever increasing rate and hard to keep up with the farm these days. May end up class 6 or 7 truck/towing machine(Diesel Air Brakes, 22.5 tires) and a larger toy hauler trailer, will kick my butt a thousand ways from Sunday but we may be happier for it.
200Tom1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200Tom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2019 at 8:59pm
Got it home the other day. Working good. I just gotta clean her up.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic