This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Different Pickup

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Different Pickup
    Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 6:53am
Been looking for one for better than 6 months now.
I'm very specific in what I want. 02-06 GMC 2500 HD 4x4.
Kind of rare to find without a bunch of miles on them.
Looking for 100K or less.
Missed out on 2 because I wasn't quick enough on the draw.

Looked at a 06 Duramax about 3 miles from home. Nice truck, called about it and the woman said to be there in 10 minutes. Ok.... takes me 5 to get down my driveway.
Get there and the pregnant trophy wife comes out of grandmas house. I was intimidated for a second and almost didn't get out of the car.
Turns out it was her truck, she took it away from her husband because quote 'he tends to tear chit up'. Was her daily driver. Needed more room because they were on there 3rd kid and not enough room for kid stuff.

She said the brakes were noisy, 4 wheel drive worked when it wanted to and wasn't worth a chit in mud when it did work. Asked her to start it, she had to because there was a certain way to do it. She said the injectors were bad. Keep talking pretty lady. That's only at least $1500 in just parts. May not be the problem but a good start. Did run a little rough. This truck has 125K on the clock.

I asked if it would be ok to test drive it. Well....you know I want 25K for this truck and I really don't want you to because I just washed it. Gods honest truth.

I said I would offer 18K on a good day but I really needed to drive it and look it over.
She said she would ask her husband that night when he got off work. Got a text about 2 hours later to BE THERE at 9am the next morning. I declined.

I drive by it every day, been about 2 weeks now. Yesterday it had a flat tire.

Sponsored Links

ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 7:16am
     Sounds like a good vehicle to avoid. Sounds like the husband already has done his routine to it.
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 7:29am
I’ve been looking as well. Doesn’t matter what flavor , every diesel I see advertised says bring a trailer at the end of the add.
I can’t figure why to buy a diesel. It cost more, the trucks cost more and from what I’m seeing the gassers will way out last the diesels. What am I missing.
And and a $80000 truck shouldn’t need bullet proofed.
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 7:56am
Fellas, look into the RAM 2500 with a 6.4 hemi gasser. I love mine. Bought it with 60k on the clock and gave around $24k. Has vinyl seats and rubber floor mats. I think a new one in tradesman trim, which is what mine is, is around $40k with an 8 speed auto. If I'm not pulling anything and drive the speed limit I get around 16mpg and it pulls great. Just saying, don't pass it by just because of what the grille says.
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 8:08am
Well I'm kind of up in the air as to whether to get a diesel or not. I will not go with a Ford of any kind. If they can't make something difficult or just plain stupid they won't build it.

I drive a 98 Dodge 1/2 ton now. Not a good comparison but I work on a lot of different trucks and they are not much different. You have to be on your game driving in rain or wind. Like herding a goat down the road at 70.

What I want and have had conforms to my butt contour very well and have had very little trouble with. The last one had about 275K on the clock before it had to find a new home. No mechanical problems just rust.

Checked into an 06 GMC yesterday that a dealer just got in Wichita Ks. 150 miles south of me. 38k on the clock. He was a little unsure of it because they hadn't checked it out.
Had some minor dings, inside was trashed with kid debris and wore out tires. He sent me some pics and didn't look bad at all. Wouldn't give me a price before checking it out.
I was concerned about the oil changes if they had been done at all. Wasn't really due for anything else.

He called last night and he was going to wholesale it out because it still had the OE oil filter on it. He took it in on a trade.

fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 8:16am
Originally posted by thendrix thendrix wrote:

Fellas, look into the RAM 2500 with a 6.4 hemi gasser. I love mine. Bought it with 60k on the clock and gave around $24k. Has vinyl seats and rubber floor mats. I think a new one in tradesman trim, which is what mine is, is around $40k with an 8 speed auto. If I'm not pulling anything and drive the speed limit I get around 16mpg and it pulls great. Just saying, don't pass it by just because of what the grille says.

I have considered those. Haven't had many dealings with the 6.4 but I have with the 5.7.
I'm not impressed at all.
I'm going to look into that.
What year of truck is it?
I will and have to ignore the fact that the emblem resembles a uterus.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 8:53am
I've never understood the 'I'll die if I don't get a diesel' thing....
cost more to buy
cost more to maintain
and my GAS powered 58 Willys 4WD had more than enough power to get TLBs and dozer outta swamps.

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
200Tom1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200Tom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 9:11am
I looked for a pickup for a year. Drove all of them
Drove more f150's than I can count. Hated the ride and seats on every one of them. Drove dodges but couldn't come to an agreement on price. Toyotas cost too much to own and repair. GM had a 4th of July promotion along with rebaits. Actually bought a new GM pickup cheaper than any used 1 could find. Along with the new toy hauler will be traveling all over the southern USA this winter.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 9:15am
Well, the diesels USED TO, be more efficient, last longer, withstand lugging and heavy duty use better, AND not cost your first born over and above.

ALL of those things are pretty much history now. Besides, even in the “heyday years” of the Dodge/ Cummins pairing where the engine could last 1,000,000 miles, the truck would rust away and fall apart around it.

No thanks for me. Not under any badge.
200 10and20 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200 10and20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 9:30am
Originally posted by fixer1958 fixer1958 wrote:

Well I'm kind of up in the air as to whether to get a diesel or not. I will not go with a Ford of any kind. If they can't make something difficult or just plain stupid they won't build it.
Maybe it's because you aren't smart enough to work on them. Most shade tree mechanics aren't!!!! They have been the best selling truck all these year's for a reason!

chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 9:42am
Must be a lot of professional mechanics out there. Wink
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 10:11am
All too many PROUD of the junk they own, "needs a FEW Small issues fixed" but fully understand there is a MASSIVE price tag to get it fixed enough and that is why for sale. That truck I would Run Away from as fast as could and avoid driving past it, a EVIL Omen lurking there.

'06low miles is gonna be tough, older even tougher as the machines were high dollar back then where usually ran out to end of loan and more then not end of life too. Piddly poor oil change only maintenance, repairs ONLY when absolutely failed, just hateful as are coming over a dozen years old.

Best choice I would offer, go to the dealers, buy Warranted, whatever checklist reviewed and repaired used truck and they do or will offer a used machine Factory Certification warranty. You will have some recourse of repairs if sold a crapola machine. Or you can chase the rainbow and maybe find a hidden gem but I as well HAD been looking, just gave up on individual sales as all found to be Junk in a short period of time at Prime Dollar figures.
modirt View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 1:26pm
For that age, you might keep an eye on estate auctions.

My dad's last pickup was a 2004 F150.....had to move it the other day and happened to glance down at the odometer......read 52,000 miles. Has probably had less than 1,000 miles per year for past 3 years. Was seldom used as his 89' F150 was kept as a beater.....and is still used that way.

Watched a similar 2007 or 08 Toyota Tundra sell last year......29,000 miles for $19,000.

They are out there.
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by fixer1958 fixer1958 wrote:

Originally posted by thendrix thendrix wrote:

I have considered those. Haven't had many dealings with the 6.4 but I have with the 5.7.
I'm not impressed at all.
I'm going to look into that.
What year of truck is it?
I will and have to ignore the fact that the emblem resembles a uterus.

Damn, it does look like a uterus . I never thought of that. The 6.4 is rated at either 410 or 420 hp and I'm happy with mine. My FIL has a 01 with the 5.9 Cummins with about the same milage as mine and my ride quality is much better. Mine is a 2016 the I bought in early 2018 and haven't regretted it yet. I've pulled our camper (10,000lbs), a Kubota M6800 with the loader, a Case 1845, and several loads of hay and never had an issue with power.
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 4:52pm
Most shade tree mechanics aren't!!!! They have been the best selling truck all these year's for a reason!

Whatever you think tough guy.
Ain't going to get into this pissing contest.

It doesn't have to be a diesel, just leaving that option open.
If I had to have it repaired there is no way.
The shade tree swings way out there.
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 5:26pm
thendrix.......that's a good price for the year...
I have been looking at those for 10k more 5 or more years older.

Hope I didn't hurt yer feelings about the uterus thing. I didn't notice it either till someone mentioned it after I got my goat herderOuch
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 8:32pm
No hurt feelings here. I think it's hilarious. My FIL is a die hard Dodge man and I'll definitely use that one on him
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic