This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WD 45 locked in fourth gear

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WD 45 locked in fourth gear
    Posted: 16 Aug 2019 at 9:30pm
Removed snap ring, collar, shift lever and the loose pin of the two on the tower.  What do I do next?  Thanks for advice
Sponsored Links

SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2019 at 9:35pm
Stick a bar,rod,large screwdriver down there and slide shift rail back to neutral. Sounds like maybe shifter is worn and comes out of place?
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2019 at 9:37pm
Bruiser,
 Just worked on mine. Take a large screw driver and move the shift slots till they all line up in neutral position. Then the lever can be reinstalled. But prior to re installing:
 Take a look at the end of your lever. It may be worn and need built up and or replaced. There are dimensions on here some where. 
Mine has a lot of wear in the mechanism.
Regards,
 Chris

D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
HaroldOmaha View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HaroldOmaha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2019 at 9:50pm
I have a 53 WD 45 gas that can shift into 2 gears. It started 20 years ago. I left the lever loose and would do the screwdriver trick. Then by accident about 12 years ago, I found out that if I would move the shift lever exactly left and right, and straight forward and back to each gear I needed ( no cutting corners) it eliminated the problem. Taught my kids. The 3 of us have done numerous tractor pulls, and I do plowing with it. Only have occasional problems when I forget the procedure.   
Bruiser View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 1:50pm
I always like it when the OP answers back that the advice worked and all is well.  Thank you.  From top down, snap ring, washer then a collar,  my collar is in bad shape, does that matter?

CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by HaroldOmaha HaroldOmaha wrote:

I have a 53 WD 45 gas that can shift into 2 gears. It started 20 years ago. I left the lever loose and would do the screwdriver trick. Then by accident about 12 years ago, I found out that if I would move the shift lever exactly left and right, and straight forward and back to each gear I needed ( no cutting corners) it eliminated the problem. Taught my kids. The 3 of us have done numerous tractor pulls, and I do plowing with it. Only have occasional problems when I forget the procedure.   

I have said before, shift in the same exact pattern as the boss on the casting, straight up or down, straight left or right and then straight into gear. NEVER shove it at an angle from the gear you are in, to the gear you want. It does make a difference when things get wore.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic