This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

bolt in horsepower for a CA

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: bolt in horsepower for a CA
    Posted: 16 Aug 2019 at 6:10am
what other allis engines will fit in place of the stock CA?
Sponsored Links

AaronSEIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AaronSEIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2019 at 7:31am
I think the D14/15 engines do.
AaronSEIA
Charlie175 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2019 at 8:31am
the D15 160 block would be the biggest that would fit as normal.
Charlie

'48 B, '51 CA, '56 WD45 '61 D17, '63 D12, '65 D10 , '68 One-Ninety XTD
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 5:57pm
The Built up CA engine that I have will outdo a 160/D15 series II engine. I've run both side by side and I know. The CE type engine/head has a lot more room for improvement than the 160. The Allis engineers have the 160 doing just about all it can at stock RPM. The first thing to do to a CE is to fit a D14/15 manifold to the head. 
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Ken in Texas View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 10:08am
Paul
   With a 3.5 mph speed limit what  actually  stops my pull is spinning out with my stock engine CA .  How would more horsepower in 3500 or 4000 pound class  make any difference.   A bigger footprint makes more sense than horsepower. 
   Let us talk a bit about  getting what power I have to the ground.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 11:30am
With a speed limit, your best pulling performance comes from being able to achieve the 3.5 MPH at half throttle or so and keep increasing the engine speed. When I run a 3.5 MPH class my top speed at full throttle would be 5.5 MPH. When I run 4.0 MPH my top speed is 6.3 MPH. That takes HP/torque and a driver that is able to drive it like that. Bigger tires is a good idea too, but watch the real tough competitors and they are usually ALWAYS able to keep throttling up near the end of the run.
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by Ken in Texas Ken in Texas wrote:

Paul
   With a 3.5 mph speed limit what  actually  stops my pull is spinning out with my stock engine CA .  How would more horsepower in 3500 or 4000 pound class  make any difference.   A bigger footprint makes more sense than horsepower. 
   Let us talk a bit about  getting what power I have to the ground.

Ken: Your the one asking about more power to bolt into a CA. For a more efficent use of the power you have , refer to your post about tires. I’ve gone over this many times before with you. As long as you keep doing the same as you have been, expect the same results.
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
dgerth View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dgerth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2019 at 5:47am
Ken,
We are currently running 14.9 x 28 TC on Mom's CA. Tried 16.9x28's FC but they had a tendancy to "float" on certain tracks where the 14's will keep on pulling.
She never uses 1st gear, only 2nd and 3rd and doesn't run out of power. Out here, we have several "hot" small tractors and the comp. is tough! Put what you have in the ground, maybe top cuts or full cuts, perhaps air pressure. Did I mention tires?? Good luck on your quest!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic