This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1950 b

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1950 b
    Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 4:56am
Just noticed that my dad's b has what looks like louvers in front of radiator ( between radiator and front grill, but no way to operate them?
What are they used for?
My 53 CA doesn't have these, nor does my d-17???
Sponsored Links

Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 5:45am
To manually control engine temperature!    
Larry in NC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry in NC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 6:07am
On your tractor there should be a hole in the top right side of the grill that originally had a crank handle to open and close the shutters.
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 6:36am
The earlier tractors did not have a thermostat, so they had manual shutters in front of the radiator, that you could open or close to control engine coolant temperature. There was a crank at the top right side (if you were sitting in the seat) of the radiator shell. 

Newer tractors had a thermostat that controlled temperature, so there was no need for shutters.
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 7:02am
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!
Hunt4Allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 9:14am
Yep, my crank is gone
Alberta Phil View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberta Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 4:20pm
Replacements are available from some of the suppliers on this forum.
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 5:59pm
Originally posted by WF owner WF owner wrote:

The earlier tractors did not have a thermostat, so they had manual shutters in front of the radiator, that you could open or close to control engine coolant temperature. There was a crank at the top right side (if you were sitting in the seat) of the radiator shell. 

Newer tractors had a thermostat that controlled temperature, so there was no need for shutters.

It was also a way of thinking back even in the late 30's regardless if they had thermostats or not. When Dad started any of out Olivers in 40's he put a feed bag over the front until they warmed up. They all had thermostats. Years later he didn't.
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2019 at 9:05am
My 51 CA has a thermostat and shutters. It also has a distributor on a mag flange mount that was put on by the dealer before Dad bought it.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
HoughMade View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HoughMade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2019 at 9:09am
My '51 B has no shutters- doesn't look like it ever did.
1951 B
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2019 at 8:44pm
Originally posted by Hunt4Allis Hunt4Allis wrote:

Yep, my crank is gone
Hunt,
 I have a handle from a WD tractor that you can have if you want?
 PM me if interested? I have to find it in the vast waerhouse!Smile
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Lon(MN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lon(MN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 7:34am
Crank is longer on B,C and CA
Hunt4Allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 7:44am
PM sent sugarmaker
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 8:00am
Tony Carbaugh sells brand new cranks if interested. Give Tony a call....
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 11:43am
The shop manual might discuss the shutters and thermostat alternatives:

http://geraldj.networkiowa.com/Trees/Allis-Chalmers-G-B-C-CA-Service.pdf

Gerald J.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic