This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Full coverage insurance on a -REBUILT - car

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Full coverage insurance on a -REBUILT - car
    Posted: 05 Aug 2019 at 5:08pm
Looking at a 2012 Dodge Challenger that has a rebuilt title , anyone know of an insurance company that will cover full coverage ?
Sponsored Links

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2019 at 5:15pm
no, but I'd get 'full coverage' in WRITING before buying the car !!
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2019 at 9:26pm
I never had an insurance co. look at the title.  You gotta give them the VIN, but I don't know if that would indicate anything.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
omahagreg View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omahagreg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2019 at 9:37pm
I was considering buying a 'red' title car in Nebraska. I called my agent first-said I could put any degree of insurance on it I wished. They would only pay 25 percent of my coverage on any claim! I decided I'd have to self insure beyond liability and could not afford it!
Greg Kroeker
1950 WD with wide front and Freeman trip loader
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2019 at 12:15am
hold on to your billfold if trying to get full coverage on a salvage titled vehicle! the insurance people will take your money, but not pay out fully if something happens...wrecked/stolen/burned/ect. do liability/medical and drive safe!
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2019 at 3:54am

My experience with vehicles with a "Salvage Title is that "if" the owner is OK with the reduced re-sale value of the vehicle at a later date,,then go ahead and buy it as it will be less and in some instances be quite reduced,,!! There was a dude over in west Texas that was sellin "flood" vehicles and these are the ones I think a person should shy away from as most of these type dealers are just going to drain water out of running gear and do a quick resale. My thoughts are that if water can get into engines, trannys and everything else,,there is gonna be some sand and silt in there that will come out,,"AFTER" the sale with you holdin the bag,,,,
 There are also many wrecked vehicles with minimal damages that got totaled that make dang good "rebuilders" and can be bought for a good price ,,if you like to do body and paintin work. In my younger years,,,I bought, repaired and resold several of those and made good money and I know the owners drove em til the wheels fell off many years later,,,!!
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2019 at 5:45am
hmmm, thinking about this agin...
what does 'rebuilt' actually mean ? differnt areas..difernt laws...
will the insurance company accept a professional appraisal of the car as to value and condition?
up here 'classic car' insurance is based upon an appraisal.
will they actually insure a 'rebuilt' car, maybe it needs a 'safety inspection' first ?
BTW if the driver's dorr was replaced, car has TWO VINs on it......
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2019 at 6:22am
It has rebuilt on the title, was salvage then rebuilt all work was done by a professional shop and was inspected by the Mo Highway Patrol Or DOT and has all paperwork that says good to go

Edited by DougG - 06 Aug 2019 at 6:24am
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2019 at 8:21am

Well,,thas good DougG,  in Texas and New Mexico, I was told by both MVD's that if a "Salvage title" was ever issued,,that vehicle would always carry that designation and could NOT be changed. Guess different states,,different laws.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2019 at 8:58am
MO is also a SALVAGE Tile state, can get that removed to REBUILT only if take to State Highway Patrol for reinspect of the vehicle after work completed.
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2019 at 10:24am
My company would do it if I was the one wrecked it and had it rebuilt but since I'm buying it they wont
TimNearFortWorth View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimNearFortWorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2019 at 2:45pm
Beware of "Salvage" and "Rebuilt" as just don't mean it was a prior wreck.
Many of the southern cars from floods get pushed north. The "dry" state units are appealing to northerners that have heavy salt use and I always check to see if it was a "coast car" in it's history, even here in Texas.
They can take something that was half way up the dash in water, pull the carpets and use drying fans or bake 'em in a paint booth for the weekend before adding new carpet and shipping them north. All this while the seats are sent out to be "professionally rebuilt".
Have a buddy that buys and sells, says he has seen many that were good for 6-12 months before electrical issues start popping up and if you don't know what to look for, you are screwed.
Told me if he finds the airbag sensor shows tripped/replaced, he walks away no matter how nice it looks but he has a conscious and values his reputation.
Has also mentioned some interesting conversations while at auctions, seems a major seller of "the highest selling pickup in history" has buyers that want those 1/2 tons for the dealers as they have their own body shops and their markup is huge (and low parts/labor costs). Advised he has more than once been told to "stay away from the 1/2 tons" by someone at an auction, and he knew who they were buying for . . . . .
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2019 at 5:05pm
Here's a pic of the dam thing ! Lol ,,
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2019 at 6:47pm
I wonder how far they jumped it? 😬
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2019 at 6:59pm
Exactly!! Im gonna find out

Edited by DougG - 06 Aug 2019 at 6:59pm
cwhit View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cwhit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2019 at 8:29pm
I bought a 99 Monte Carlo with a salvaged title in 2003. Had to have it inspected but got full coverage from Country Companies. Had the car 12 years. Also had to get a loan from the bank at the time and they didn’t have a problem with loaning me the money on a salvaged titled car. It had been rolled and air bag was not tripped.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2019 at 11:35pm
only thing I can say is: "buyer beware"! and that's for any used vehicle.
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2019 at 6:09pm
Got it covered, 60 a month, 100% blue book pay out if totaled , all comprehensives etc met,, shall see what happens
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimNearFortWorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2019 at 7:43pm
Glad you got it sorted, good looking ride for sure and Challenger is the best looking retro style the big three have brought back IMO.
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2019 at 8:13pm
Thanks ,, I think so too,, I was very disappointed in the Charger bring back,, no where close to a Dodge Charger of that era,,
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimNearFortWorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2019 at 7:52pm
I had a BB Mach One in WY years ago but drooled over a running buddy's 72 Challenger with 340 & pistol grip 4 speed. A mutual friend of ours had one with 440 Wedge and that thing was downright mean. IIRC, 70? model and it had the front suspension you could adjust quickly with a just a couple wrenches to stiffen it up for hard launches off the line.
Always sucked hind teat with Fords as those damned Chebbys could easily be wound up and bolt on parts were plentiful. Fords not so much but we could give the Chebbys a run at altitude if you could set up a double pumper Holley correctly on decent heads.
My Mopar buddies struggled even harder trying to find go-fast parts, especially factory stuff due to lower overall production numbers.
Brother ran a 69 R/T-SE 440 back east on the dairy growing up and that thing was a torque monster. Clutch was weak and he had tranny out in a bay of the ol' man's new shop on the farm. That did not set well with the boss as multiple clutch attempts sourced from NAPA just were not right and he wanted it out of that shop.
Rode with the ol' man to NAPA and he set that clutch/pressure plate on the counter top and told the boys to start bringing clutches from the back shelvesuntil he could match it up.
Clutch matched up to one from a one ton Dodge Snow Fighter and you knew you were pushing on something when you pushed that pedal in.
Not long after he told my 19 yo brother the Charger had to go and we found out later our Dad had taken it for a drive with one of his friends to see what all the fuss was about as we were true blue oval in the family.
Years later Dad admitted that car scared the hell out him with so much torque.

I'd still like to test drive one of the new Hell Cats, just for giggles.
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2019 at 8:33pm
There is some massive torque and power with these cars now,,,,
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic