This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

i40 hydraulic pump

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dieselDonutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: i40 hydraulic pump
    Posted: 03 Aug 2019 at 3:40pm
Hi, everyone. I am new to the forum. I have spend some serious internet time trying to find info on the hydraulic pump that is mounted on the front of the i40's If I didn't know any better, I would guess that this information is only available to the most secret of agencies that protect our planet and be sure that the info does not fall into the wrong hands. (back story) I purchased an old i40 for a great price. I am trying to restore it. it did not come with the pump on the machine so i have no reference. every pump I seem to run across is for the farm tractors and is not the one that mounts to the front of the 149 motor. I am hoping (desperately) that someone here is laughing right now saying I know all about that and is willing to help someone that is a bit green in this area. a picture, a part number, a picture and a part number. I cant even find a service manual or a parts catalog (that I don't have to pay for upfront) without knowing if it has any relevant info. any assistance would be greatly appreciated. and I promise I have no intentions of destroying the planet when i finally get it powered up!! Wink
Sponsored Links

Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2019 at 4:19pm
Welcome I hope somebody knows. I have experimented before with what I found cheap and learned pressure don't count in making it work if the flow is way low.LOL 

We country/redneck/dirt farmers/ the unwashed (take your pick of name,cause I missed some)Wink that are trying to help improve the world with dozers,backhoes and dirt moving even with a shovel. Are considered to be destroying the world by the PC folks..........so remember who your asking for help.  LOL 
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2019 at 5:39pm
Per swinford's book, the front pump put out 17 GPM @ 2000 PSI for the I-40, 15 GPM, 2250 PSI, for the I-400.

Now all you need to find out, is what the pump mount looks like, how many holes, how far apart, mount circle diameter.  Then go to surpluscenter.com's tech pages, and see if you can find a similar mount listed.  This will give you another piece of the puzzle.  Even If they don't have a pump to fit spec, their page is tops, at describing the naming of the parts.

Do you have a shaft hanging out the front, or is that among the missing, too?

I think there is also a plate that bolts on the crank pulley, to mount the shaft to.Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Jim.ME View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim.ME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2019 at 5:40pm
Minnpar has a parts catalog for an I40 free for use on their website. They might also be a source for pump info.

Minnpar I40 parts catalog
dieselDonutz View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dieselDonutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2019 at 8:04am
Thanks so much for all the info. I don't know hydraulics as much as I  would like to so I didn't want to just pick a pump without hearing from someone more seasoned. it seems pretty straight foward. one question I do have is if the pump needs to be 17gpm @ 2000. and I find a pump that says for example:
  • Pressure:
      2300 PSI peak
  • Speed:
      2000 RPM rated
      3600 RPM max.
  • Flow:
      14.74 GPM rated
      26.52 GPM max.
does that mean that it will work since the requirements fall inside the above range? and yes the shaft is coming out of the motor so it looks like I can just mount the pump with a jaw coupler (after I get some clearance, the radiator mount is so close to the shaft that a jaw coupler will rub against it)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic