This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Propane leak

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200Tom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Propane leak
    Posted: 28 Jul 2019 at 8:38pm
Last time we has the camper out, memorial day weekend, we got home and I could smell LP. I shut off the tank valve till I had time to look at it. I moved the motor home today, plugged in the electric to get the fridge cold and started spraying the LP tank and lines down with leak detector. I found the darn leak. Copper fitting between the tank and LP regulator had cracked. It was TOTAL pain in the butt to get wrenches in there and get things apart. At least I did not have to drop the tank. Now gotta head for the hardware store in the morning for 2 new fittings. Sure glad I still have some good rector seal #5 left over to put on the threads. Gonna head for What Cheer Flea Market next Tuesday or Wed. That'll be a hoot. Wish I could post some pictures on here.
Sponsored Links

Leon n/c AR. View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leon n/c AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2019 at 7:55am
Discovered I have propane leak on one of my 250 gal. tanks. Had both tanks filled last Wed. Sat. morning walked by tank, could smell gas, lifted lid and discovered the intake valve for filling tank was a large iceball. Called gas company Sat. morning-have not heard from them. I own the tanks but are they responsible for not finding the leak?  Leon
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2019 at 12:18am
A match will lead you right to the leak!Big smile
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2019 at 5:37am
Leon.. I'd call the 9-1-1 type people for your area, not the real 911 number, but someone and explain you've got a full 250  gallon tank of propane pissin gas out and you're worried a spark or tossed cig will blowup the neighbourhood. THEY WILL get someone out PDQ...
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2019 at 7:18am
Originally posted by john(MI) john(MI) wrote:

A match will lead you right to the leak!Big smile

It's more likely to blow you away.

Dusty
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
200Tom1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200Tom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2019 at 6:37pm
They arn't, but they should have hauled butt back out there to take care of the problem. I always carried a thin brass drift on the truck, usually stuck it down into the filler valve and gave it a sharp tap with a hammer. It always worked for me, it is not unusual for those to seap.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2019 at 10:07pm
yep...you coulda used my lighter so you could get down and see better!
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 9:03am
You wanna see a propane leak, have a 950 bushel hopper bin full of soybean collapse directly onto a 500 gallon tank!  Should have seen the look on that service truck driver's face!
Hockeyman View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hockeyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 9:26am
Originally posted by Leon n/c AR. Leon n/c AR. wrote:

Discovered I have propane leak on one of my 250 gal. tanks. Had both tanks filled last Wed. Sat. morning walked by tank, could smell gas, lifted lid and discovered the intake valve for filling tank was a large iceball. Called gas company Sat. morning-have not heard from them. I own the tanks but are they responsible for not finding the leak?  Leon

Up here it is the responsibility of the fuel supplier to ensure there are no leaks when re-filling / dropping a tank set.  If a leak is found it must be repaired by a licenced gas fitter, or the fuel supplier. 

Any propane leak can become dangerous as propane is heavier than air and will pool in low lying areas... 
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 11:03am
I knew a fellow that sheared off a 100# cylinder in a pit once while pushing snow with a big Cat dozer... Said he heard something different and then got a wiff of LP and by that time he looked behind and seen the round circle and saw the liquid propane in the bottom of the cylinder. He just shut the dozer down and walked out and let it all dissipate for couple hours. 
 Said his momma didn't raise no fool, but sure felt foolish to had forgotten that nearly full cylinder was still in the bottom of the pit when they left in the fall. LOL
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic