This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

flo question for the301 Dr.Allis please

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark D. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: flo question for the301 Dr.Allis please
    Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 1:16pm
 Having a bit of a debate. 301cui, 2 chargers,3500 rpm limit.roller cam,stock rockers, water injection, P-pump, dry block and head. We had been running the 426 valves with head opened up as much as reputable head guy was comfortable with. Along with decompressed pistons. Question is, do we stick 426 valves in the head for flow or do we go back to running stock 301 valves?  Have had a heat issue and might have to start over again. Have a lot of cracks throughout the head right now. What do you think? 
Miss Behavin - D21 Super Farm

Xcessive Tinkering - 190 XT Hot Farm Puller

Watch on YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2TX1Af7aoA
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 1:27pm
I have heard arguments for years about oversized valves and notching the sleeves cause the air flow to be shrouded. We've always ran without exhaust seats because they usually fall out of the head at some point anyway, so just run bigger exhaust valves solves that issue. The intake shrouding thing is still debatable, but I've never felt we went backwards when running twins and notching the sleeves for the valves to clear.... Dyno test or not, if you aren't having to shift down a gear, you must not be hurting the engines performance.
Mark D. View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark D. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 4:34pm
Let me pick your brain a little more if you don't mind. We have a dog of a time starting our tractor, which we have decompressed pistons. We took a stock piston and did the poor mans test for cc's and then did the same with our decompressed pistons. Stock piston allowed 37-38cc of fluid. Our piston we have in our tractor now with the nipple in the middle ground out and valve clearance in piston hold roughly 70-80cc. Do you feel we are decompressed to far? How would you go about correcting that? Thanks in advance. 
Miss Behavin - D21 Super Farm

Xcessive Tinkering - 190 XT Hot Farm Puller

Watch on YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2TX1Af7aoA
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 6:22pm
Depends on what piston you started with. A 180-190XT was called 16 to 1 ratio.     A model 200-7020 was called 15 to 1 ratio. Any old 6060-6080 (not 6070) or K2-F2 combine was called 14 to 1 ratio.   Using the numbers you gave me, I think you are terribly low, like 9.0 to 1.    I base this off of a 16 to 1 piston.  I don't think we ever modify an OEM 15 to 1 bowl at all. We just cut a straight across valve relief(s) .100" deep and leave the point in the Mexican hat.  I think most dyno operators will tell you around 14 to 1 seems to yield the most HP most of the time.  You need to make a compression tester adapter from a junk injector tip and body and actually run a test to see what you have. This tool is also helpful when you have engine problems and you're questioning compression numbers. Anything other than John Deere ether is a waste of time. I knew a puller 40 years ago who used to shave off (he said) .250" off the tops of all his pistons. Never did anything else. He used a ton of ether too.

Edited by DrAllis - 12 Jul 2019 at 6:26pm
Acllss puller View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acllss puller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 8:16pm
So I ran an allis intercooller off. 426 on my 301 Twins , so I put an ether injector director in center port , huge difference to start , if your club doesn’t allow just remove can after warmed up good . Was so much easier to start ! Also I drilled am tapped adapter plate and used enderle injectors directly into ports to fine tune water to ports really evened out temps . We were pushing water through AC cooler at 60 gallons per min bilge pump using 40 lbs of ice and 15 gal wAter some ice left after each run , and up to 3 1/2 quarts water ink to
Carl(NWWI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl(NWWI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2019 at 11:26pm
Had some head work done with my 301 head. If I remember correctly the stock valves and head flowed 120-130 cfm. With some porting work done, a 426 valve, opening up the bowls, and either a 3 angle cut seat or a 45*, don’t remember which, but it flowed 180cfm after that. Notched the sleeves and it was a night and day difference of performance.
Relayman View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Relayman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2019 at 9:40pm
I have often wondered if these flow tests that show a large increase in flow with valves that require notching the sleeves are flow tested with the notched sleeves in place or are flow tested into open air.
Carl(NWWI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl(NWWI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 10:41pm
You can’t flow test a head on that tractor. So it’s without the sleeves.
rowcropmafia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowcropmafia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2019 at 10:58am
You always flow test on a bore of the proper size. If they tested it on the right bore with notched sleeves your results should be accurate. The flow numbers aren't really what's important. It's the results at the pull that counts
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic