This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD6G clutch identification and repair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD6G clutch identification and repair
    Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 1:28pm
I have an HD6G and I am trying to figure out what kind of clutch i have, oil or dry.

The bellhousing has an oil filter, hose on the bottom and one going into the top on the inspection plate. However, there is not a drop of oil in there.

I can partially see into the bellhousing after removing the top cover. What I see looks like a brake rotor near the output. It apears that when the clutch is engaged a disk with pads (like brake rotor pads) moves forward and almost contacts the brake rotor looking wheel. When the clutch is disengaged the disk with the pads move away from the brake rotor looking thing back toward the engine.

I can't see the engine side very well, but what i can see is what apears to be a big casting, with some very small looking spring on its outer diamater that is perpendicular to the back side of the block and that large casting. The large casting is the flywheel?

The operator told me it was slipping and then stoped it. I was able to coax it closer to the shop, but now its not engaging at all.

Is it a wet clutch, or dry? Is the padded rotor thing not touching the brake rotor thing the cause of the problem? Those pads apear to have plenty of meat on them. Or is it not supposed to be dry in there?

Edited by Leop - 09 Jul 2019 at 1:30pm
Sponsored Links

Leop View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 1:35pm
I almost forgot, the serial number on the machine is "HD6G-16302" and the serial number for the engine is "6-17208".

BTW,is there a serial number decoder for the machine or engine somwhere on the web? I searched, but didn't see a thing.
Leop View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 2:01pm
Looking at the engine it appears to me to be the 6000 because the injectors are on the top. Is the location of the injectors the best way to tell the 344 from an AC 6000 motor?
Mactractor View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mactractor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 3:49pm
Oil is held in the aluminium pan under the housing. Dipstick for level check should emerge  somewhere.
Leop View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 5:15pm
I opened a new post about my problem after I learned a lot more about exactly what equipment I had. 

I cannot close this post, so if you have any possible solutions to my clutch problem please post them in the new post entitled:

"Topic: HD6G Wet Clutch was run dry"

Thanks, Leo 

Edited by Leop - 09 Jul 2019 at 5:17pm
gemdozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemdozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 7:22pm
If your cluch is wet you should have a oil filter connect to the cluch housing near the drive shaft and the dry cluch have no oil filter
Leop View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 11:31pm
Originally posted by gemdozer gemdozer wrote:

If your cluch is wet you should have a oil filter connect to the cluch housing near the drive shaft and the dry cluch have no oil filter

Yup, its got the oil filter. Wet I guess.
200Tom1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200Tom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2019 at 11:31pm
You should have a dipstick in front of your left foot in the engine compartment for the wet clutch.
gemdozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemdozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 6:43am
If remember the dipstick  is on oil reservoir tank near the refell oil cover
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic