This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rebuilding hyd cylinders/pickups

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200Tom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rebuilding hyd cylinders/pickups
    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 6:15pm
Blew out 1 of the 4 on the old Hydra Mac skid loader. I drove 1.25 hours away to drop 1 off and get it rebuilt. It was the closest place I could find. He was totally uninterested in doing the work. Ill try it myself.   I got this one to the car wash and cleaned it up, looks like I gotta head in to NAPA and find me a HD set of snap ring pliers. I got 4 kits ordered from Gear Drive Parts. I hope they ain'T too hard to do. Trip wasn't totally wasted. Stopped by the truck dealership and looked at new ones. Was interested in a red 1 but I've kinda cooled off on the red. Think it'll be a white or silver 1.off. Ya don't suppose old shameless will ship a few of those extra cans this way do ya? I'd be happy to pay the shipping.

Edited by 200Tom1 - 03 Jul 2019 at 6:19pm
Sponsored Links

desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 6:30pm
 Hey Tom,,,you're doin MUCH better at slowin down a tad,,,,,Clap  sometimes I wait for in the mornin to read your posts cause I gets plumb tired out and wore out just readin all the stuff you make yourself do,,,,,sheeesh,,,,,,,or,,,maybe it be the "old gal" kinda proddin you to do more,,,,??  How many winters are you anyways ???WinkWink
 There ain't too awful much with them hydraulic cylinders except you gots to have some BIG tools like them snap ring pliers and,,,and,,,there be others before you done,,, but have no fear,,just get you an old towel and lay out the parts on the towel  like the parts  come out and you'll be OK,,,,Clap  
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 8:42pm
Just dealt with this. Local shop some 35 miles away is about the ONLY shop anywhere to near. They are Swamped, cannot find their butts with both hands so much work as so many have retired or just closed.

Hoist I put on my old GMC was off a older IHC, according to Crysteel, bed and hoist built 1962 but decent enough for me.

Then once together the ram gland seal leaked, call the shop, Two MONTHS if I drop off the truck, at least a month if I carry in just the cylinder. So off it came last Friday, rested Saturday then Sunday afternoon decided not going to wait and took it apart. Really need a better hone but What I do have worked to get some lighter scores out and smooth up some other pulled metal. Monday drove down and got the seals(were on hand) then resealed it and then last night installed it.

Scissors hoist have to be about the worst for being awkward but a done deal. Anchored the cylinder to my pickup, used our riding mower to pull the ram out, onto cardboard and lumber. Going back together LOTS of lube and a BIG dead blow soft faced hammer until could raise and drop the cylinder on a board and get the piston to slide home. I do not and will not buy a chain wrench to take the gland nut off so welded hammer lugs on it and drove it off then back on removed the lugs after.

Replace ALL the seals not just those you can see, there can be others in spots bolted down.
200Tom1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200Tom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 10:28pm
Joe I'm just a young feller, gonna be 70 in Dec. Got a text from #1 grandson today. Him, dad, brother, and cousin climbed Colorado's tallest mountain yesterday. 14000+ feet. I don't care what the old gal says I aint walking up that dog gone hill. Old gals birthday tomorrow. I'm getting drug around a 3 or 4 county area. Family tradition says meet in front of Robinson's department store, watch a 2.5 hour parade, visit with her cousins for the next few hours, then grab some chow then go somewhere and watch a fireworks show.   Is rather be home moving hay off the field or putting the second coat of mud on my last basement wall. Oh well.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2019 at 12:42am
 WELL,Chit,,Tom,,you is just a "young un" ain't you,,,,,Clap Just where you get all thet energy,,,??? Wait,,,I'm thinkin you "might" be partakin of some of them cbd drops,,,huh,,,?? I been thinkin I'm gonna get me so,,,,,never mind,,,,WinkWink
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2019 at 12:54am
 Hey DMiller,,That one looks like the two cylinders I rebuilt for a fellar up in the mountains on his dump trk several years ago.. He had let some water get in the reservoir and some settled in both cylinders and with the cold azzed temps they get in the winter,,,,both of the end caps froze and busted the ends off.  I machined the plugs off and cut 4" off the ends of the barrels. Machined new plugs cause the old ones had deformed, welded em up and hydrostated them and all good. 
 Had to reposition the anchors due to the shorter cylinders but ithat old dump trk works good,,,Clap
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2019 at 9:47am
Tom, if you get stuck and can't do them yourself, there's a guy in Reasnor who will do it and if it needs more than seals, he can make anything it would need. Mike Moller is his name.
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
200Tom1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200Tom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2019 at 5:19pm
Thanks Brian. I have done cylinders before but my darn hands don't work very good anymore.   I took this one to the car wash and cleaned it up. It doesn't look too hard. I'm gonna try it, seal kits outta be here monday. If I can't get her I will take all 4 of them to this feller. Again Thank you.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic