This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

7GB Steering problems please help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spudman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 7GB Steering problems please help
    Posted: 28 Jun 2019 at 10:13pm
Hello All. I am having steering and pulling issues on my 7GB . I was operating it today while in reverse I had a heavy jar kinda like dropped in a ditch. The left pedal felt kinda funny then the left track would not turn while holding the right. The right track will pull forward or reverse while holding left pedal. It will pull straight forward or reverse but will not turn to the right the left track will not turn while holding tight pedal. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated thanks in advance
Sponsored Links

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2019 at 11:45am
You need to get into the Clutch housing area(and is a wet clutch) see what is NOT moving in gear. That stated could also have sheared a pinion in finals, the large flat cover on bottom of final drive housing covers the bull gear, have you checked the lube there for metal yet?
Spudman View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spudman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2019 at 2:44pm
I haven’t checked yet. It was getting pretty dark last night when it happened. I was hoping maybe some trash in steering valve. I had it on more of incline than it has been in years. Been sitting for a while just getting it going again. I will check that tonight and see about any metal and pull the cover and take a look will update afterwards. Thanks   
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2019 at 3:23pm
Clutches are pretty bulletproof, hydraulic release spring engage, usually won't disengage as a fail.

Valve won't cause to remain disengaged. Yours is full pedal steer where mine is lever and pedal. Could be the linkage is bound up.

Edited by DMiller - 29 Jun 2019 at 3:27pm
Spudman View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spudman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2019 at 11:36pm
After daylight inspection and Someone at the controls myself on the ground I removed the sprocket guard to find major sprocket issues. Either the retaining nut has backed off or it has broken from the center hub. I will lay the track back first of the week and see exactly how much damage Thanks Dmiller I will keep you posted
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 6:34am
My own 7G had done that on the right side, nut stripped the retainer lock and backed off allowed the center splines to wobble and erode. Currently it is still NOT repaired as have to remove the entire truck assembly to get at it, or section the truck at the rear and remove/repair then weld back together.

Yours has segment sprocket center where mine does not and it may be easier too section and do the repairs of yours. You do need a repair manual to understand what you are in for.
Spudman View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Spudman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 10:22pm
Mine is a early model with the solid sprocket. I have welded a ring on it a couple of times. Just at a look it appears the sprocket has broken loose from the hub at the center. I have replace the nut on that side once . It will be a job what ever the outcome is . I will post you a picture with I get the track off.
Spudman View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spudman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2019 at 8:06pm
The sprocket slipped off its hub. How do you post pictures?
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 10:36am
Any update Spudman!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic