This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tire Size Vs Rim Width

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frnkeore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tire Size Vs Rim Width
    Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 11:21am
I have a quest about the above topic.

For pulling, do you want the factory spec rim width, for the specified tire or, would narrower or wider rim be of advantage?

It seems to me, that a little narrower rim would be a advantage, as you lower pressure, to let the tire tread spread out, rather than cup in in the contact patch area.

What are your thoughts on this?
Frank
1959 D17 Series I #24001+, '59 D14
'55 & '59 Ford 850 & 861
Ferguson TO 35 Deluxe, Oliver 70 and 5 more.
Sponsored Links

CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 12:16pm
most run wider, and there are some rules against going wider than what the tire mfg specs.  gives you a wider/larger footprint 
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 4:01pm
This is what makes tractor pulling interesting. Everyone has their opinion and some can make something work that others say can’t. I have seen everything from a couple inches narrower than tire size to wider than tire size and I have also seen a 34” rim for a 30.5” tire. The track conditions will also have a bearing on what will or won’t work. If what your using doesn’t seem to work, try something different.

Edited by PaulB - 19 Jun 2019 at 4:03pm
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic