This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Garden Tractors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

720 Tiller Maintenance

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave (NE) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 720 Tiller Maintenance
    Posted: 14 Jun 2019 at 10:20am
I've just finally started to use the tiller that came with the 720 I purchased a couple of years ago.  I wanted to ensure I was properly maintaining it, but don't have a manual to guide me.  I found two zerks on the pto shaft and another on the far right top of the tiller.  Are there any others to grease?  I looked in the gear case and it appeared low on fluid.  I added 80/90 gear oil till the gears et al were covered but did not fill to the top.  Any suggestions or comments on this?  Thanks for the assistance.  Dave
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience. Mark Twain.
Sponsored Links

coggonobrien View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coggonobrien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2019 at 1:30pm
check your gearbox oil
Dave (NE) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave (NE) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2019 at 3:34pm
OK, I finally looked again at the gearbox and noticed the small plug on the back side about half way up.  Based on some other gearboxes that I've had experience with, you're supposed to fill the gearbox up until oil runs out of the side plug hole.  Would that be true for this one also?  Thanks, Dave
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience. Mark Twain.
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2019 at 10:15pm
That’s what I do on mine, I don’t have a book either. Does a great job of tilling. Make sure you engage the pto at low rpm and then throttle up before you lower to till. Your electric clutch will last much longer.
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
Dave (NE) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave (NE) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 10:06am
Do the tines on the tiller ever need to be sharpened? 
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 8:49pm
Quite honestly I have never heard of anyone ever doing that but then again I have never thought about it. My tines seam to be sharp due to the cutting of the ground and wear over time. Good question, I have no idea.
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic