This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forklift: What engine and Distributo for Pertronix

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Lusby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Forklift: What engine and Distributo for Pertronix
    Posted: 11 Jun 2019 at 8:39pm
I picked up this Allis Chalmers FP70-24 last week and working through getting the engine started. I’d like to get a Pertronix kit for it but not sure the make of the distributor. I’m not even sure of the engine although I’m guessing 262. If anyone has any insights I’d be grateful.

Sponsored Links

CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 7:24am
looks like a prestolite to me.  should be some numbers on the distributor somewhere then you can check with pertronix

Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
ACjack View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 1:59pm
  Look for the metal tag attached to the block when manufactured at the Harvey Engine plant. It will list the Model number "IE" G-230 or G-262 then the Catalog number and the line under that it will show the engine serial number. It's a stamped metal tag about an inch and a half tall and two inches in length.
ACjack View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 2:07pm
  As far as who manufactured the distributer it could be a prestolite but, the AC Harvey Engine plant in the 70's used Delco Remy (GM) for their electrical systems; alternators, starters, plug wires and  distrusters. The only thing they used that wasn't Delco Remy was Champion spark plugs instead of AC spark plugs.
Dale Lusby View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Lusby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 7:46pm
I was able to identify the distribute as a Delco. I ordered the Pertronix kit that should work. I’ll look for the engine tag and see if it’s still there. Changing fluids today and getting the brake master cylinder swapped to hopefully get the brakes working. Looking forward to having this lift running.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Lusby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2019 at 11:55am
Didn’t find an engine tag anywhere. I did find the muffler is shot on it. It shows as a Nelson Muffler 4B 75 but I’ve had no luck finding one. Aside from just making one do any of you have any ideas on locating one similar? The exhaust inlet goes in the top (I hacked it off so it’s not as large as the hole in picture) and the outlet is on the side.

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2019 at 12:26pm
Head for a GOOD Parts supply house, have the guys break out their Walker Catalog by inlet and outlet size/position, may get lucky for something Close. Otherwise down to fabricobble as we most do.

Edited by DMiller - 13 Jun 2019 at 12:27pm
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Lusby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2019 at 12:59pm
I’ll probably just make one. By the time I go to the parts store and deal with that circus I could have one finished 😁
joelsplace View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joelsplace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 1:37pm
I'm a Corvair guy and that distributor cap is the same one that fits '62-'69 Corvairs or at least it looks identical. That might mean the rotor fits as well. The Pertronix will be different because the Corvair distributor has a vacuum advance that the Pertronix plate fits. Be sure to get the Pertronix I and not the II. The II isn't as reliable and requires a full 12V. It also misfires at low RPM. The I is great but just bolt it in don't follow the directions that tell you to run 12V to it. They are very reliable with the power through the resistor. I'm assuming it has a resistor like a car.
1975 7040 w/Power Director
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic