This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

C for Pulling

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frnkeore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: C for Pulling
    Posted: 25 May 2019 at 3:30pm
Is the 3 speed C model worth getting to make a pull tractor?

If so, what can you do to the engine? I note that it has less HP than the CA.
Frank
1959 D17 Series I #24001+, '59 D14
'55 & '59 Ford 850 & 861
Ferguson TO 35 Deluxe, Oliver 70 and 5 more.
Sponsored Links

PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2019 at 7:41pm
It depends on what classes are available to run in your local area and what your expectations are for the tractor.   If it was me I would want to run a B or C in a 2000 pound class. That will take a little bit of work, however the performance to cost ratio will put on a better show. The power that can be had from those CE blocks can be impressive. A good running stock motor will hold it's own in truly stock classes as most any other brand that will be comparable weight will be a smaller CID. Beyond that it will depend on how much you'd be willing to spend. Getting that 125 CID engine up close to 30HP is not all that much. More than twice that is doable and can be as reliable as a stock engine.  
   If there is no real competition a C could run in heavier classes and do rather well. The problem with B&C tractors is the shorter wheelbase, which makes getting the perfect balance a tough task. tire size limitations of some rule can also make running a C challenging.
   I have run CAs in the 2500 pound classes and have one CA now that no one can beat, this CA is for sale.  I run an open class in 3rd gear at about 10MPH. Watch this...
[TUBE]xxEUbb1qNmo[/TUBE]

If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
frnkeore View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frnkeore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2019 at 1:24am
I looked at the Nebraska tests and subtracting the  the weight from both C (2599 lb) and CA (2763 lb), the C is 164 lb lighter. It would seem to be easy to get it under 2500 lb but, loosing 500 more, seems unrealistic and if it can be done, very costly!!

I didn't realize that the CA had a longer WB, I see it's 5" longer. Can that be addressed with draw bar height, to get all the weight on the rear?

My first issue was the gear ratio in 1st and second, with larger tires.

What mods would it take to get 30 HP?

Could I run 14.9 x 24's on it in the stock class? I have those tires on hand.

The reasons I'm interested in this is, because there is one available, that doesn't run but, it looks pretty good, by the pictures and is only $200.

Edited by frnkeore - 26 May 2019 at 1:27am
Frank
'55 & '59 Ford 850 & 861
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2019 at 6:50am
Frank,
Only my 2 cents. I would start with a CA if it was me. Just seems like a better unit. Although I have never pulled either. Guess I just have a soft spot for a CA Narrow front! We had a Allis  B on the farm. It did a lot of work. Spent many hours on it. 
Good luck with your decision. Sometimes even if a tractor is given to you it may not be a good value!:) I have had a couple of those that took a lot of time and dollars to get back to good operating tractors too.
The important words in trying to find a good value in one of these is "condition, condition, condition"! 
The price on the C is about right for a non running tractor. 
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 26 May 2019 at 9:01pm
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
frnkeore View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frnkeore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2019 at 5:57pm
Thank you, Chris. I'll take your advice seriously. That's exactly why I asked here before I made a decision.
Frank
'55 & '59 Ford 850 & 861
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 9:27am
The real question is, as my first reply asked: What are your local rules and classes???
    If you don't what to spend any money stay with the lightest class possible. A model C will get to 2000 easily, I have run a CA in the 2000 pound class a lot about 20 years ago, so I know for a fact that it is possible. Nothing really special, just get rid of everything that is not absolutely necessary. 
  If you are looking to be a top competitor, pick your class, then your tractor. 

frnkeore View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frnkeore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 12:27pm
Paul,
At least for the present, I will run USAP, Farm Stock, 3 MPH.

Reading the rules, and applying them to a C, I believe that I could run 14.9 x 24 tires and pull in the 2500 class.

Will the C gearing be a problem for that?

Will the stock HP pull that tire and gear?

I note that the tire diameter increase, will put me at or above 3 mph at 1500 rpm.

Or would I have to go to a CA for that?
Frank
'55 & '59 Ford 850 & 861
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 7:19pm
Actually for the Grampa gear classes a C just may be a slight bit better than a CA. The low gear in a CA is too slow for 3MPH and 2nd is too fast. The 14.9x 24 tires will also put you just a little too fast in 1st gear with a C, unless the tracks in your area are crappy and allow a lot of wheel spin. Ideally you want to be just under the spped limit when the motor pulls down slightly.
    I gave up the restrictive classes a couple decades ago. Too much whining over a 50cent throphy.

Edited by PaulB - 27 May 2019 at 7:26pm
frnkeore View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frnkeore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 12:26am
I did a more precise calculation on speed/tire combo's. If the C has 11.2's, a 14.9 will give it 2.9 mph @ 1500 rpm, by Goodyear tire specs.

I can only assume that the best way to get more HP would be compression, a good valve job and matching the ports. Will a larger carb help any? If so, which one?
Frank
'55 & '59 Ford 850 & 861
Ken in Texas View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 12:49am
Frank
    Think about the option of mounting 28 inch rubber on a C . My stock engine CA was outpulled by a stock engine C in #3000 class at the State Fair of LA Shreveport  antique tractor pull.  I believe his 28 rubber gave him a advantage over my 13-6 24s.
    Bodene is a forum member and may join this thread because he has the C puller that outpulled my CA.      Ken
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 5:41am

I can only assume that the best way to get more HP would be compression, a good valve job and matching the ports. Will a larger carb help any? If so, which one?
[/QUOTE]

That is a good start. A carb from a CA would be my first choice, due to the stock engine speed you will be restricted to.
frnkeore View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frnkeore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by Ken in Texas Ken in Texas wrote:

Frank
    Think about the option of mounting 28 inch rubber on a C . My stock engine CA was outpulled by a stock engine C in #3000 class at the State Fair of LA Shreveport  antique tractor pull.  I believe his 28 rubber gave him a advantage over my 13-6 24s.
    Bodene is a forum member and may join this thread because he has the C puller that outpulled my CA.      Ken

Ken, yes, I'd love to hear Bodene's thoughts on this. It's seems like even 13.6 x 28 would take me out of full throttle 3 mph class and I already have 14.9 x 24's on hand and wheels would be easier to get. It looks like the C will take regular 4 loops?

Paul, I was comparing the C to the CA spec's, last night in that G-B-C-CA manual, provided by a member hear and I believe the C & CA have the same throttle size (7/8). Is the venturi larger in the CA or, would just changing out the main jet, do it or, is there something else?

Frank
'55 & '59 Ford 850 & 861
frnkeore View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frnkeore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 1:06pm
Paul,
One other thing that I would like to ask about. Are you using larger valves for your higher RPM engine? Are you also using a reground cam?

At 1500 rpm, I think the factory valve size is fine.
Frank
'55 & '59 Ford 850 & 861
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2019 at 1:48am
The CA venturi is a little larger. The stock valves are fine for a stock speed engine.

Edited by PaulB - 29 May 2019 at 5:34am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic