This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD6B Fuel injector update....Opinions Please

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD6B Fuel injector update....Opinions Please
    Posted: 12 May 2019 at 5:08pm
Here is my HD6B together and running.  Video is just a small running shot at about 1/2 throttle and then idling.  Still does not start without ether and never blows black smoke.  Slight blueish white under load but hardly discernible even with the temperature at 55 degrees.  I have a new (to me) pump coming to swap out.  To me, very inexperienced 1st time dozer owner, it sounds good.  When I have used it to push my manure pile around it has plenty of power but needs throttle added in areas of heavy load.  Is the governor supposed to kick in to make up for the 1/2 throttle under heavy load or is added throttle typically needed.  One Great mechanic that has helped me greatly throughout the process mentioned that in the heavy load pushing times that black smoke would be present if the governor was working.  Does this all relate back to a worn injection pump....won't start without ether.  Is the governor malfunctioning/not working correctly?  Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance!!   
Youtube Link:
Sponsored Links

HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2019 at 7:05pm
If you are burning a premium grade #2 diesel fuel it is very unlikely you will see black smoke at any time. If you are using truck stop #2 fuel then most likely you will see a lot of black smoke.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2019 at 7:22pm
My 7G is old and tired, does not burn oil and is a good machine on fuel. Will smoke some until well warmed but generally not much fuel smoke a puff or so as throttle in is all. As to ether, mine is a bottle baby too, comes from age, fuel nozzles likely not atomizing well enough(pop pressure low) pintles on nozzle tips eroded or blocked and among other things just a great deal of mistreated hours on the old machine. Once warm starts fine, I have mine at max throttle when working it and use the decelerator on my hilift to shift or change directions. Most of these machines were designed for the engine on the governor(Max Throttle) when performing work and as broke thru a hard spot or had to change position or direction and running no load can throttle back.
Steve allis dozer View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve allis dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2019 at 7:54pm
When the Pump head on old AMBAC pumps used on the hd6/hd11 get worn they don't make enough fuel pressure to open the injectors while turning over with the starter motor , also some will not idle for the same reason , 
Regards steve
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2019 at 11:21pm
If you need ether on a warmed up engine something is wrong. Start with getting the injectors checked. Crawlers are run wide open when pushing as DMiller said, even a gear drive like I am guessing yours is.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic