This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cowboy Churches

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cowboy Churches
    Posted: 24 Apr 2019 at 6:17pm
Cowboy Churches are alive and well here in this part of Texas.
    I attended the Easter Service at the closest one  to my house. I wish now I would have worn my boots and Cowboy Hat. 
    Being raised in the Dutch Reformed Church of America in South Holland , Illinois.  It took a little bit of getting used to.  You sit in chairs.  No Pews.   Music is pretty loud.
     The lady with four little kids sitting in front of me wore a very nice Cowboy hat with a pretty feather in the band. It stayed on for the whole service.  The men took their hats off for prayers.
     Huge auditorium and a regulation size Rodeo Arena right next door.   Nice
Sponsored Links

TMiller/NC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TMiller/NC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2019 at 6:26pm
  There's one not to far from where we live. 
Ken in Texas View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2019 at 7:01pm
Are Cowboy Churches totally independent of each other ?
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2019 at 7:38pm

Many cowboy churches have existed throughout the Western states for the past forty to fifty years; in approximately the past fifteen years, however, there has there been an explosion of growth within the "movement". In 1972 the cowboy church concept was created by Glenn Smith as chronicled in his book Apostle Cowboy Style published in 1988. Many cowboy churches today are actually denominational attempts to re-frame the setting of their theology. Some cowboy churches could be described as an outgrowth of ministries at professional rodeo or team roping events, while the roots of many can be traced back to ministry events associated with ranch rodeos, ranch horse competitions, chuck wagon cooking competitions, cowboy poetry gatherings, and other "cowboy culture" events. It has been said that a cowboy church must have five principle characteristics: non-denominational, no offerings collected or solicited, no membership, no dress code, and held in non-traditional settings.[citation needed]

Cowboy churches also exist in the denominational context of traditional Baptist churches. The "no barriers" cowboy church model pioneered by Ron Nolen of the Baptist General Convention of Texas has been used by the AFCC (American Fellowship of Cowboy Churches) to plant over two hundred denominational motivated cowboy churches in sixteen states. This model mimics the worship service first designed by Glenn Smith while focusing on the absence of the traditions that are believed to have no biblical basis, such as the "altar call" and passing of the collection plate. Tithes and offerings are simply placed in a boot, hat, or wooden bird house at the entrance of the meeting room. The model, copied from Glenn Smith, also utilizes a specialized leadership structure that empowers volunteers and teams to execute most of the functions of the church. This model was copied and then used at the Cowboy Church of Ellis County in Waxahachie, currently (allegedly) the largest cowboy church in North America.

The Southern Baptist Convention have started cowboy churches using their own polity and leadership structure. Even though most of these churches are located in Texas and Oklahoma, the number of cowboy churches is expanding rapidly throughout the United States aided by a growing group of formal and informal cowboy church networks including the American Fellowship of Cowboy Churches, the Cowboy Church Network of North America, the International Cowboy Church Alliance Network, and others. Today, these groups are closing more cowboy churches than they are opening as it shuns and excommunicates those who revert to the original model first suggested by Glenn Smith in 1972. The only group with operations extending over ten consecutive years is the Cowboy Church of Virginia.

Like them all, but love the "B"s.
JoeO(C-MO) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeO(C-MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2019 at 7:38pm
There is one at a distance of approximately one mile where the crow flies from my farm. If the crow drives its about two miles to attend a funeral. 
D10 III, D15 II 3 pt, D15 II SC, 170 Gas w/shuttle, 175 Diesel UI ROPS, 185 w ROPS. AC 653 w/6 way blade, ROPS
AC 615 Ind. WD45 running/Parts.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2019 at 8:37pm
we went to one in MO one year. was satisfied!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2019 at 3:09am
Nobody in our family raise or own any cows or horses. We once were sheep and wool growers and kept a flock of 50 fine wools.
     I still found a special feeling of fellowship and more than I or my Wife felt in years of not having a church home. We are the only household in the neighborhood not going to church on Sunday. The Lord Wiling and the creek don't rise we know where we will be come next Sunday at 10:30 am.  It is called The BAR NONE Cowboy Church.  Oh! It is for Cowgirls too.  
     The only Cowboy Hat I have is a Wrangler Straw painted PO #1 with a AC logo in front.  It went over Big Time when the Athens TX Cowboy Church put on a Tractor Pull in their Arena.   Track Conditions weren't all that great but the CA did OK.
    Question is - Do I dare ware it to the BAR NONE next Sunday

Edited by Ken in Texas - 25 Apr 2019 at 3:13am
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2019 at 4:31am
 I like the idea of going to church and the wife and I used to go often but since her health issues, we just haven't been,,,,,altho,,,,I do consider myself a "believer in God"  person and lead my life accordingly. My belief is that ,,"It's what is in a man's heart" that is way more important than goin to church just to see what ole So and So is wearing or got to say. Oftentimes during the day,,I will stop and give thanks to our Lord for allowing me to remain here.
 I'm usually a baseball cap and tenny shoe type of guy, altho,,in the hotter months I wear a straw hat to protect my delicate complexion,,,,,,,,,Wink I do gots a pair of "chit kickin" boots with 2" heels on em but they hurt my legs anymore,,,,,,WinkWink
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2019 at 5:24am
We go to church in a bar.. when they started they were hoping to catch some of the patrons of the bar and help turn their life in a good direction. I’ve been going there for around 3 years. On occasion someone will show up that is struggling with alcohol. I always try to talk with them after just to let them know they aren’t alone and let them know what worked for me.
There are some left learners there and I’ve , at times considered changing churches.
There is the Green Forest Cowboy church Bout 30 miles away. I want to go there some Sunday. The pasture owns a plumbing co and we use them once in a while. I really like him. He is also a Blacksmith.
There are some little old ladies at our church that wouldn’t be very happy if we changed. They’re like family to us and one of them is my momma.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2019 at 6:13am
   We go to church in a bar.. when they started they were hoping to catch some of the patrons of the bar and help turn their life in a good direction

I like that example, Thad.....Oftentimes some people get some overzealous bout their church and they don't realize that are actually doing more harm than good and drive people away.. The worst argument I had bout religion was at work while workin shiftwork. This one guy that was Church Of Christ told me,,"The only way to heaven was thru HIS church"  I could not believe he actually believed that,,!! He couldn't or wouldn't tell me what his God was going to do bout the millions of catholics, the millions of Babtists, the many millions of Jews, Hindus,  Jehovas Witness, thats the kind of thinking that turns others away from Christ. The church one goes to is the "right" one for him/her. 
dgerth View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dgerth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2019 at 8:07am
Ken,
My "son-in-law" is the pastor at the San Agustine Cowboy church which is a fairly large organization too. They have built it up from nothing to around 250 members. They live east of Rusk. Chris Burris is his name, a right nice fella. Visit down there some sunday, a long drive but might be worth it!
dgerth
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2019 at 9:00am
Originally posted by Thad in AR. Thad in AR. wrote:

We go to church in a bar.. when they started they were hoping to catch some of the patrons of the bar and help turn their life in a good direction. I’ve been going there for around 3 years. On occasion someone will show up that is struggling with alcohol. I always try to talk with them after just to let them know they aren’t alone and let them know what worked for me.
There are some left learners there and I’ve , at times considered changing churches.
There is the Green Forest Cowboy church Bout 30 miles away. I want to go there some Sunday. The pasture owns a plumbing co and we use them once in a while. I really like him. He is also a Blacksmith.
There are some little old ladies at our church that wouldn’t be very happy if we changed. They’re like family to us and one of them is my momma.
LOLLOLLOL
Now, I know some "pastors" are kind of full of......so was this an intentional or a typo?!  Not sure which would be funnier!!!WinkLOLLOLLOL
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2019 at 9:18am
Originally posted by Tbone95 Tbone95 wrote:

Originally posted by Thad in AR. Thad in AR. wrote:

LOLLOLLOL
Now, I know some "pastors" are kind of full of......so was this an intentional or a typo?!  Not sure which would be funnier!!!WinkLOLLOLLOL

I’m thinking spell check fixed a typo for me. 😁
Scott B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2019 at 10:02am
I often think about that quote of Steve Jobs, founder of Apple: 
"Surely, there has to be more than one door into Heaven".  I think he was on to something.......
D17 Series 1
Allis B- 1939
Allis B- 1945
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2019 at 2:54pm
We attend a church very simular to that here is Ohio. Some of the guys do wear hats in to church and they take them off for prays. It kinda bothers me cause I was raise to remove your hat when you enter a building and then being in the Army that was also the way but I leave it up to the Lord.
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2019 at 3:05pm
If the Good Lord snatched the hat off my head I think I would have a heart attack. Wink
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2019 at 4:42pm
Yeah, leaving your hat on indoors, (on purpose or not), was a mistake you only made  once around my Dad.  You'll never convince me he was swatting for the hat but it had the same result!
Maximum use of available resources!
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2019 at 5:24pm
The old one upside the back of the head, you don't forget after those. I know I got enough of em, and a lot of stuff I'll never forget ever. Now a days it's a prison term offense I'm sure.
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2019 at 9:35pm
Our church was involved with starting one. The fellows that started it were true cowboys. They had free use of a feed store right on the main 2 highways. Mike pastered it for 3 or 4 years and was great at it. Politics seem to get in the way and it was closed.
soggybottomboy View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soggybottomboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2019 at 10:35pm

God isn't going to ask what church you went to while living here. When the Bible was written,there was only one type,or denomination as it's called today.They were not Babtists or reformed or episcopalian or methodists. They were simply known as christians. Please spend some time reading the Bible.Mathew,Mark,Luke,and John. Jesus said,no one can enter heaven unless he is born again. John 3:3. You are born again when you realize what Jesus has done for you and you believe. John 3:16. Believe is sort of an action word. It means you come into agreement with God's view of what is right and wrong. It means that whatever it is that you love,you love God more. It means that you are no longer trusting in the good things you do to get to heaven,but that you are trusting the blood sacrifice that jesus offers you to atone for your failures,and believe me,i have had many. The result is life changing. Jesus said there is a broad road that leads to destruction{ hell } and that many are on it, and there is a narrow road that leads to life {eternal} and few find it. Matthew 7:13-14. There are going to be catholics, reformed, baptists, and many other ists in hell because they simply went to church and didn't trust Jesus. There will be many of them in heaven because they did. Sorry for the long sermon,and i'm not even a preacher. Wish i could be tho.

chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2019 at 8:40am
Yep God knows what's in your heart.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2019 at 12:53pm
"Believe in Me and you will be saved".
There is NO mention in the bible of 'going to church every Sunday', or for Catholics of not eating meat on Friday or a lot of other things that 'churchs' profess.
Taking the good Lord into your heart and believing and doing His will,,,,,,,I'll see you in heaven.
Ken, I would wear that hat into church if you want to, if that's the way they do things.
Me, I'll always have a problem with wearing a hat indoors.  I was taught that you take your hat off when you go through a door way, or in the presence of a lady.  And ALL women were ladies and you showed respect to and for them.
Dad taught me a lot of things in the few years that I had him with me.  Things I'll always do just because they are the right thing to do.

Thad, I used to go to church in a bar too.  Every Sunday at 10 am.  NO drinking during the complete service and a jam session with people who thought they were a good enough band.  Usually lasted till 2pm and then the bar was officially open.

I was born and raised a Catholic but am now a born again Christian because I not only read the bible, but studied it and found Jesus.  Yes, God IS great!  Open your mind and your heart.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2019 at 10:35pm
When Jesus said, "I am the way,the truth and the life. No man comes to the father but by me",he wasn't saying pick any door you like.
Scott B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2019 at 9:26am
Originally posted by SteveM C/IL SteveM C/IL wrote:

When Jesus said, "I am the way,the truth and the life. No man comes to the father but by me",he wasn't saying pick any door you like.

Judge not, lest you be judged.
My point was cowboy church wearing hats, catholics praying to Mary, Baptist’s in a tent, Methodist wearing shorts at a bible camp, etc, etc......there’s multiple approaches to reaching the same destination.
D17 Series 1
Allis B- 1939
Allis B- 1945
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2019 at 10:19am
Your "judgeing" quote is missing it's context which changes what you think it says.
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2019 at 5:57pm
Just my opinion now ,never been to a cowboy church - but all the catholic churches around here cant wait to pass that collection baskets around , 4 times at one mass, I could not believe it, I told the wife im done , get a new priest and oh my god gotta redo everything ,, need more money ! Didn't know The Lord needed so much cash ,,
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2019 at 1:23pm
I must confess. I left my PO#1 Cowboy Hat home this morning and wore my Orange AC cap.     BAR NONE refers to people.  Not what they ware to Church
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2019 at 7:56pm
Originally posted by soggybottomboy soggybottomboy wrote:

God isn't going to ask what church you went to while living here. When the Bible was written,there was only one type,or denomination as it's called today.They were not Babtists or reformed or episcopalian or methodists. They were simply known as christians. Please spend some time reading the Bible.Mathew,Mark,Luke,and John. Jesus said,no one can enter heaven unless he is born again. John 3:3. You are born again when you realize what Jesus has done for you and you believe. John 3:16. Believe is sort of an action word. It means you come into agreement with God's view of what is right and wrong. It means that whatever it is that you love,you love God more. It means that you are no longer trusting in the good things you do to get to heaven,but that you are trusting the blood sacrifice that jesus offers you to atone for your failures,and believe me,i have had many. The result is life changing. Jesus said there is a broad road that leads to destruction{ hell } and that many are on it, and there is a narrow road that leads to life {eternal} and few find it. Matthew 7:13-14. There are going to be catholics, reformed, baptists, and many other ists in hell because they simply went to church and didn't trust Jesus. There will be many of them in heaven because they did. Sorry for the long sermon,and i'm not even a preacher. Wish i could be tho.

Paul, very well said. AMEN to what you said as well as what Ted J and Steve M said. Our best is no more that filthy rags to God. It is the blood of Christ that was shed on the cross that paid the penalty for our sins; and belief in His death, burial, and resurrection is the ONLY way to Heaven. 

And Paul, if God calls you to be a preacher you can be a good one.

Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic