This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ball and socket hitch?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaredC(WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ball and socket hitch?
    Posted: 24 Apr 2019 at 9:39am
Could somebody explain the ball and socket hitch used with some AC equipment? Been seeing mention of it in relation to roto balers, hay rakes, and all crop combines. Any pics?

Is it absolutely needed in order to use these implements?

Jared
Sponsored Links

Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2019 at 12:30pm
Only needed if you dont want to convert them . On flat ground I dont see the advantage . Even on uneven ground I would not think it would matter . Have seen several converted to hitch pin and operators have said works fine.
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
DennisA (IL) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DennisA (IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2019 at 1:13pm
Here are a few pictures!

Edited by DennisA (IL) - 24 Apr 2019 at 1:14pm
Thanks & God Bless

Dennis
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2019 at 1:37pm
I really like it. Quick, easy attaching. I think it's easier than lining up a clevis hitch.
JaredC(WI) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaredC(WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2019 at 10:06am
Thanks guys. Is it a standard 1 7/8" or some strange size?
Is this what most of you are using on pull type equipment or like said above, has most allis equipment out there been converted to use a regular pin hitch.

Jared
Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2019 at 11:23am
I have it on my pull type combine and use it. Kind of cool just because it's different.
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2019 at 2:01pm
Here's an nos one we have

Edited by Mikez - 25 Apr 2019 at 2:04pm
FloydKS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FloydKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2019 at 2:19pm
With the Allis round baler you are stopping for each bale, that means a lot of stop and go...with a pin hitch you will be wearing your pin and the hole in the drawbar at least a little faster than normal, so the ball hitch saves your drawbar from needing repair as often.
Holding a grudge is like taking poison and expecting the other person to die
Alberta Phil View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberta Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2019 at 2:24pm
I've got two of those bar rakes that I use.  One has the original ball hitch with the lock ring,  and the other has an old style 2" ball type trailer coupler.  Either one will couple to the ball on the tractor hitch.
Dmpaul89 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmpaul89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2019 at 6:48pm
they work well but the flaw is, its hard to keep the nut tight especially if there is any wear to the drawbar hole. it gets pushed back and forth and loosens up. you really need to shim it to fit each drawbar. plus the ones I had were course thread shanks. the pic above looks like fine thread which wuold be an improvement over what I had. overall a good design and much nicer than dumb old clevis hitch flapping around. 

Edited by Dmpaul89 - 25 Apr 2019 at 6:49pm
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2019 at 8:52pm
Originally posted by Dmpaul89 Dmpaul89 wrote:

they work well but the flaw is, its hard to keep the nut tight especially if there is any wear to the drawbar hole. it gets pushed back and forth and loosens up. you really need to shim it to fit each drawbar. plus the ones I had were course thread shanks. the pic above looks like fine thread which wuold be an improvement over what I had. overall a good design and much nicer than dumb old clevis hitch flapping around. 
I agree, they do tend to work loose if the drawbar hole is egged out any. Mine is a fine thread though, and I do think it works better than coarse thread. 
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2019 at 6:39am
OK, I have to ask..
what's the 'magic' for it to latch ?
The 'lever' does 'something' similar to a trailer 'ball coupler' ??
curious...
Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
DennisA (IL) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DennisA (IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2019 at 7:46am
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

OK, I have to ask..
what's the 'magic' for it to latch ?
The 'lever' does 'something' similar to a trailer 'ball coupler' ??
curious...
Jay

under the lever is a pin. When you push the lever down the pin drops in to one of the notches in the locking ring. This prevents the locking ring from rotating and releasing the implement.
Thanks & God Bless

Dennis
JaredC(WI) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaredC(WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2019 at 9:41am
Thanks for the info on this. I think my draw bar would be too egged out to use one, lol.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic