This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Honey Bees today

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Honey Bees today
    Posted: 23 Apr 2019 at 7:37pm
We did 6 splits today. That means we will use old bees and but them in a new box along with a new queen bee. Only have 16 more to do tomorrow. That means I'm gonna have 22 more bee hives to take care of this summer. I've got several folks coming tomorrow to help.   The bee hives are loaded with bees. I have never seen them so loaded before. I wonder if me feeding them all winter had something to do with this. I hope so. Will do it next winter too.
Sponsored Links

Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2019 at 7:24am
Interesting, how do you feed them in the winter?

What keeps them from freezing?

Edited by Dave H - 24 Apr 2019 at 7:25am
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2019 at 10:02pm
 DANG,,,Tom,,you make me tired just readin on all the things you do to keep you busy,,,,how,,,,how do you find time to sleep,,,,????WinkWink
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2019 at 3:13am
he wears me out too! whew!
Animal Cracker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Animal Cracker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2019 at 3:57am
Originally posted by Dave H Dave H wrote:

Interesting, how do you feed them in the winter?

What keeps them from freezing?
1 method is sugar water,a little more to it than that but. I always found this to be amazing. In winter the bees cluster in a ball in the hive and shake to generate warmth and basically maintained 92 degrees all winter long.
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2019 at 2:59pm
Yes, bee are amazing animals
Scott B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2019 at 3:16pm
.....Wink now wonder what would happen if I put this "ole bee" in a "new box" with a "new queen?"  probably wouldn't be able to keep up either........Ouch
D17 Series 1
Allis B- 1939
Allis B- 1945
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2019 at 4:15pm
This past winter after I removed all the honey we wanted I started feeding them corn syrup. I used that until it got cold and the syrup turned to gray jello. The corn syrup goes in a qt jar that sits on top of the frames inside of the hives. The jar has very small holes in the lid. The bees will suck the syrup out of the jars. After it turned to jelly, I then quickly opened up the hives and put 2 or 3 winter feed pattys on top of the frames, directly over the cluster of bees. I had to rreplace the pattys 2 or 3 times because the gals ate all of them. These gals are looking great.

Edited by HD6GTOM - 25 Apr 2019 at 4:18pm
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2019 at 7:50pm
Tom, 
My one hive did not make it. So I am currently without bees. My daughter has some on order and will get in another month. I really need to learn about making splits. She has a couple hives that made it through winter.
Sounds like your doing well with your bees. 
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2019 at 9:23pm
our local bee people always bring their hives in each fall, puts them ina big building, I don't know if it's heated, but prolly is. I never see any hives left out all winter.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Animal Cracker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2019 at 3:57pm
I never split any hives.But I did expand by catching swarms.It seemed a little hair raising at first,but once I understood what the swarming thing was about.I would catch all that I could,there were very easy to introduce to a new hive or Nuc.
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2019 at 4:43pm
I do like swarm catching also. Just dont have the calls anymore. 
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2019 at 9:00pm
Sugarmaker. I wonder what breed of bees she's getting? These are varoa mite resistant Carnoleians that came from Northern california. The word Carnoleians might not be spelled right. I finished pulling up brood this afternoon. Making 17 new hives for us. #2 son took 7 queens and bees. We will have a total of 40 hives to start out with. Another guy is buying 3 or 4 packages from us. It will be the first time in 20 years we have had enough bees to sell some. I hope these new queens will do as good as the ones we got last year. If she wants any information the old gal will be able to help her out. Web site-- wwwrandolhoneyfarm.com.
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2019 at 9:18pm
A lot of the bee keepers in my area take their bees out to California for the winter to pollinate almonds. I guess that gig pays pretty well.
As far as the queen goes, , ,....well I wouldn't want to be the poor bee that she chooses to have sex with. I guess she kills him after he gets the job done! Darrel
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2019 at 2:06am
ain't that just like a woman? PfffT!
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2019 at 8:00pm
Darrell, the queen doesn't actually kill the male bee. Drones or male bees do not have stingers. They have reproductive organs instead. But, when a queen bee takes her "maiden flight", she may be bred by 6 or 8 males. Once the male bee breeds with the new queen the male reproductive organs break off the male bee and of course he dies. The queen bee takes the 1 flight in her life time, unless the hive becomes overpopulated and then she and approximately 60% of the bees find a new home. She is actually a slave in the hive. If she gets lazy, the workers will bump her around and tell her to get busy. If she is getting too old to lay enough eggs to keep the hive alive, the workers will realize this and build another "queen cell". The girls will force the old queen to lay an egg in there and 21 days later a new queen will hatch out. The workers will drive the old queen out or kill her. Workers do feedthe queen, they bring her water, and clean up after her. That way she never has to leave the frames and she can continually lay eggs.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Animal Cracker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2019 at 6:10am
Yes the worker bees run the hive, Pretty amazing again for the fact that during the busiest portion of the year the worker bee only lives about 6 weeks,and a few months when there not collecting nectar and pollen. So yes the queen is constantly laying eggs up to 1500 a day during the busy period and they hatch about 3 weeks later. Also when they hatch they begin working in the hive and as they get older and the oldest bees become field bees till they die. All this is give or take a little bit due to there surroundings.
Another fact honey bees won't sting you for the most part unless you screw with the hive,then in protection of the hive. They sting you they die.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Animal Cracker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2019 at 6:16am
Another fact the honey bee has to make its food. Honey,there is no naturally made honey. If they don't make and store enough honey for the year they will starve.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic