This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WWII letter

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Acdiesel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WWII letter
    Posted: 21 Apr 2019 at 7:04am
we have been clean out an old farm house and property that has been in the same family since 1890, and they never got rid of anything, but there was 3 big boxes of letters from one of there sons that served during WWII and my sister has be reading through these hundreds of letters and came across one that read where " They just got 15 new ALLIS CHALMERS crawler tractors in here yesterday" 
thought that was pretty cool.

D19 diesel,D17 diesel SER.3 D14 NF,D14 WF, D15 SER.II wf
D15 SER.2 DIESEL,D15 ser.II nf
D12 SER.I, D10 Ser.II
2-720'S

Gmc,caterpillar
I'm a pharmacist (farm assist) with a PHD (post hole digger)
Sponsored Links

DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2019 at 11:18am
My uncle went through an arduous process of recovering and transcribing all family letters from the Civil War era... they were used as reference material for his doctoral.  Once finished, the images and transcription went to University of Iowa Historical Library for public search.  Consider doing same with those letters, or at least putting them through a scanner, and putting them online, in the event that someone doing historical research might be able to piece together a puzzle in their own history... Wink
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2019 at 4:42pm
Dad went thru Holland. One afternoon while searching a barn they noticed the floor seemed "springy". Thinking there might be some booze hidden under there, they started to pull up the floor. They were suprized to find a small AC dozer hidden under the floor. They put the floor back and moved on.
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2019 at 3:16pm
I was reading through some letters my dad had sent to his mom and younger sisters during WWII.  He was stationed in Panama just before the US got involved, flying B17's out over the ocean looking for subs and ships.  He ended up back in the states after that at various places including Victoria, KS.  I got online after reading about that and discovered a huge airfield just north of I70.  I've driven past there dozens of times but never knew there was an airfield there, even still has a hanger.  Must be a hill or something keeping it hidden from the interstate.  Lots of other tidbits of info in his letters, guess he was being trained to fly B29's when the war ended.  He talked in his letter about buying a motorcycle, I think it was an Indian.  Had to borrow $100 from his mom to pay for it as his monthly pay was pretty low.  I remember him telling me how he and a buddy would get a 3 day pass and drive west as far as they could in a day and a half and highball it back to Kansas before the pass expired.  I have a picture of him sitting on the Loveland Pass sign.  Dirt road back then, now has a twin tunnel under it.  Only his one sister is still with us, will be 95 next month and still doing well.  Sorry for the long post, just got to writing...
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2019 at 7:16am
That is neat
Bob D. (La) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob D. (La) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2019 at 7:46am
Had an uncle in the army during WWII. One Christmas Eve, they decided to make camp in a basement of a war destroyed house. Christmas Day they woke and were preparing for their breakfast when they heard a noise on other side. They discovered a German team had done the same thing on that side. They ended up calling a truce for the day and celebrated Christmas together. They agreed to split during the night and go opposite directions. Not a shot was fired, no one was captured and they continued their war the next day.
When you find yourself in a hole,PUT DOWN THE SHOVEL!!!
Tad Wicks View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tad Wicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2019 at 9:07am
really a great thread, good reading. Tad
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic