This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Getting on and off old tractors

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slowmotion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Getting on and off old tractors
    Posted: 20 Apr 2019 at 7:44pm
Which of the '30s through '50s vintage 20 - 30 hp tractors are the easiest to get on and off? I bolted 3 steps onto the left side of my WD, 9" increments, and I can get on okay, but then the trouble starts. I'm either too stiff or too weak to put my feet where I want them, and after I finally got into the seat, I had even more trouble getting off again. I think getting off over the back might be easier. I can step down farther than I can step up. If I ever get my tractor running, it may be for someone else.
Sponsored Links

Brian G. NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian G.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2019 at 9:38pm
The older I get (I'm pushin' 78 LOL) the harder it is to get on and off my WD.
I have always gotten on from the back.....but then, I almost always have the
back blade on which provides a sort of step.
I always found it difficult to get on in front of the rear wheel even though I have the loader arm to step on.
When A-C came out with the D series tractors, they started to think of operator comfort and access to the driver's seat.
I find it much easier to get on my D-17 although I admit stepping up to the foot rest is getting harder all the time.
I expect I'll be making a step before too long.  LOL
Slowmotion View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slowmotion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2019 at 10:04pm
I hate to admit that the WD may be too much for me, but it may. I'll keep an eye out for the Ds.
truckerfarmer View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truckerfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2019 at 10:19pm
Always figured the WD was meant to be mounted from the rear. Why else would there be a platform behind the seat. If it was meant to be a PTO shield can't see any reason for it to be that big. If they were meant to be mounted from the front, you would think there would have been a step there from the factory.
Looking at the past to see the future.
'53 WD, '53 WD45, WD snap coupler field cultivator, #53 plow,'53 HD5B dozer

Duct tape.... Can't fix stupidity. But will muffle the sound of it!
ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2019 at 8:20am
I agree that the WD's were meant to be mounted and dismounted from the rear. Use the drawbar as one step and the platform as the next. Always thought they were about the easiest of the older tractors to get on and off of. Not quite so easy with plow, cultivators, etc.
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2019 at 8:46am
Hard to get in the seat, hand clutch lever in the way. ---still gotta get rid of mine. Lock it in---take/cut lever off. Stiff legs/bad back makes it awfully hard to get on. The young bucks don't have any problems, but just wait until they get over 73!
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2019 at 9:23am
Originally posted by ac fleet ac fleet wrote:

Hard to get in the seat, hand clutch lever in the way. ---still gotta get rid of mine. Lock it in---take/cut lever off. Stiff legs/bad back makes it awfully hard to get on. The young bucks don't have any problems, but just wait until they get over 73!

Why not just throw the hand clutch forward every time you get off and lock the brakes if you need to keep it from rolling?
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Dave(inMA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2019 at 11:28am
Slowmotion, x2 that one of the D series with a step might be the best solution. I've got a WD45 and a D-14. The D-14 is WAY easier to get on/off. Maybe trade your WD45 and some $ for a D....one not afflicted by the gear jumping problem.
WC, CA, D14, WD45
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2019 at 11:44am
Have a D 15 with a step . Pretty easy to get on and off until I pulled the steering wheel off . Didn't even realize I was using it until it wasn't there . Have the new wheel on now and all is well .

Edited by ACinSC - 21 Apr 2019 at 11:45am
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slowmotion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2019 at 1:40pm
I haven't found that much of a used tractor and implements market around here. I do 95% of my looking on craigslist, I've thought about going to auctions. My only experience with auctions has been as a spectator, and very little of that. If I could find a one bottom plow for my 5020, I'd be in business. But I'd still want to get the WD running. I would consider swapping it for a D-14 or something similar that's easier to get on and off. I like the orange and the red tractors.
Ross D. View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross D. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2019 at 2:01pm

Hi. Now that I am a little over forty,(LOL - 75)I added this step arrangement. As a step, it is handier than the drawbar. . Rubber pad gives me a better grip. I can leave it on when the scraper blade is mounted. It can be removed quickly as there are only two bolts.   Ross.
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2019 at 7:39pm
I think the Fords are the easiest to get on and off of. Grandpa's 8N was my grandmother's favorite tractor to operate, mostly for that reason. My great-grandfather was so bothered by rheumatoid arthritis that he could just barely shuffle around, let alone climb up on a tractor like a WD or Deere or Farmall. Running boards on his Jubilee weren't too high. He'd get on from the left, and once he sat down, he just swung his right leg over the steering wheel, being as his knees didn't work too well. Served him well until he died. The 8N through the smaller thousand series aren't that much different. 
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2019 at 10:49pm
I always figured the hitch was there for a reason on the WD/WD45.  I just step on that and then the rear step/PTO guard and in the seat.  I DO have the seat hinges on all of mine though.  It's a LOT easier when the seat is out of the way.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slowmotion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2019 at 8:09pm
By seat hinge, do you mean the flip over seat? I was wondering how that works. The original seat is definitely in my way and makes things more difficult.
Ross D. View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross D. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2019 at 7:24am

Good morning.   With reference to my above post with the picture of the added step assembly, I find that the biggest challenge I have is when I take the drawbar off the tractor in the shop and then I have to go a distance to hook up a snap coupler blade. Its a bitch to get back up onto the tractor and it sure is a long jump to get back off. I do not need any broken bones, scraped shins, or trying to carry a plastic milk crate to place underneath for a temporary step. lol.    Ross.
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2019 at 10:56am
Originally posted by CrestonM CrestonM wrote:

I think the Fords are the easiest to get on and off of. Grandpa's 8N was my grandmother's favorite tractor to operate, mostly for that reason. My great-grandfather was so bothered by rheumatoid arthritis that he could just barely shuffle around, let alone climb up on a tractor like a WD or Deere or Farmall. Running boards on his Jubilee weren't too high. He'd get on from the left, and once he sat down, he just swung his right leg over the steering wheel, being as his knees didn't work too well. Served him well until he died. The 8N through the smaller thousand series aren't that much different. 

FORDS are easy to mount and dis mount because you always need to get off to be fixing something: FixOrRepairDaily๐Ÿ˜ธ๐Ÿ˜ธ๐Ÿ˜ธ

Edited by PaulB - 23 Apr 2019 at 4:42pm
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2019 at 11:02am
Ouch, sharp pointy stick. LOL
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
TimCNY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimCNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2019 at 8:51am
And backwards, "FORD" is "Driver Returns On Foot." Kidding of course, I have an F350 4X4 dually. It's been good to me. BUT - I did have a Ford 6000 Commander Diesel... with Selecto-Speed. When it ran right, what a joy, best I ever owned. But the 90% of the time it didn't run right made it a nightmare. At start-up, the transmission would hang up in reverse and forward at the same time and stall itself out. No telling when it would do that, or when it would free itself. Horrible idea. But, it was the easiest tractor to get on and off that I've personally ever owned. So, yeah, good thing since the problem could easily run down a battery in no time lol.
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2019 at 9:59am
Originally posted by TimCNY TimCNY wrote:

And backwards, "FORD" is "Driver Returns On Foot." Kidding of course, I have an F350 4X4 dually. It's been good to me. BUT - I did have a Ford 6000 Commander Diesel... with Selecto-Speed. When it ran right, what a joy, best I ever owned. But the 90% of the time it didn't run right made it a nightmare. At start-up, the transmission would hang up in reverse and forward at the same time and stall itself out. No telling when it would do that, or when it would free itself. Horrible idea. But, it was the easiest tractor to get on and off that I've personally ever owned. So, yeah, good thing since the problem could easily run down a battery in no time lol.

A 6000 FORD: ๐Ÿ‘Ž๐Ÿ‘Ž๐Ÿ‘Ž๐Ÿ‘Ž๐Ÿ‘Žthe Edsel of the tractor world. Ford may have had a better idea, however they had no idea how to excute it. I know this as a fact, because I to had one. The hydraulic pump would blow whenever the unload valve would stick. Got that fixed then it started blowing head gaskets. After that problem got solved the hydraulic accumulater blew out. Luckly there were enough of them in junkyards, that It was easy to find a used one. Even after it was sold, it kept comin back for repairs. ๐Ÿ˜พ๐Ÿ˜พ๐Ÿ˜พ

Edited by PaulB - 24 Apr 2019 at 10:00am
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
TimCNY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimCNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2019 at 7:28pm
Absolutely the Edsel, which is what we used to call the toilet when I was a little kid because one of my uncles had an Edsel lol! The ONLY thing that was wrong with mine was the Select-o-Speed; and, honestly, that worked fine until someone "borrowed" it and the fan belt broke, they didn't notice, it overheated, and - according to the mechanic - the fingers in the valve body got messed up (would stick?) and when bringing it from "Park" to a forward gear, naturally it passed reverse, and that's when things got buggered up because it was engaged in forward and reverse at the same time. It was too expensive to fix, so we used it as it was. But when it ran right, I never had a better tractor, honestly. I sold it back in the early 90s. Funny thing is, at an auction last year, I saw what I thought was it, I snapped a pic with my phone of the serial number. It looked absolutely exactly the way I remembered it when I sold it. When I got home, I checked it against the number on the old bill of sale I had prepared way back then (I'm a bit of a hoarder, I keep everything in files). It took me awhile to find it, but it was my old tractor. FWIW, I sold it for $2,800 back then. I decided I'd try to get it back, but when the bidding went over what I decided to spend, I was amazed... the high bid ended up being $6,850. I have no idea who would pay that much, or that so many people had bid for it in the first place. I guess there really is one born every minute? Even if I had been certain it was the same tractor during the bidding, nothing, not nostalgia or anything else, would've trumped common sense and made me bid half of that. If you have 7 minutes to waste, here's a propaganda - I mean sales - presentation from back in the day. https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=ford+6000+select+o+speed&view=detail&mid=A6BF6C4E80D63934CCDFA6BF6C4E80D63934CCDF&FORM=VIRE
GARY(OH/IN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GARY(OH/IN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2019 at 7:43pm
At one time I thought I wanted a 6000 Ford. They had power, looked cool, and were cheap. Lucky I never found one as you really do get what you pay for.
Gary Burnett View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2019 at 8:32pm
Originally posted by GARY(OH/IN) GARY(OH/IN) wrote:

At one time I thought I wanted a 6000 Ford. They had power, looked cool, and were cheap. Lucky I never found one as you really do get what you pay for.

I owned and used a 6000 on my farm for about 5 years,it was a really good tractor for
me never gave me any problems.Most of the problems I have seen with the SOS  came from abuse by the operator.I looked at another 6000 one time and the guy that was selling it was showing me how he could jerk the front end off the ground.I passed on that one.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2019 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by Slowmotion Slowmotion wrote:

By seat hinge, do you mean the flip over seat? I was wondering how that works. The original seat is definitely in my way and makes things more difficult.
Yep, thats the one.  Here is one at Tony's Tractors:
http://www.tonystractors.com/images/flipoverseathingelg.JPG

http://www.tonystractors.com/ac_seats.html

Makes it a lot easier getting on and off.  And I'm not exactly a small fella.

"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic