This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

NO-TILL COULTER THOUGHTS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NO-TILL COULTER THOUGHTS
    Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 9:12pm
What is the concenceous pertaining to N/T coulters on any brand of planter? We run a 7000 JD consertil with them on it now(was purchased already on it and possibly from the factory?). We had to plant last spring in somewhat more "moist" soil conditions than we like to and in spots during fall harvest, I could still make out the unclosed "wave" outline of the coulter. I am contemplating removing them before planting this season regardless of soil dampness. We plant in min-til soil BTW. Thanks
Sponsored Links

CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 9:17pm
I have a 2 row 7000 set up for food plots. Last year I plowed a patch and disced it, but when I planted, I went another 40 to 50 feet past the plowed ground. Corn came up great in the plowed ground, but probably only 1/3 of it made it in the no tilled sod. I'm pretty sure the seed didn't get covered.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
JimWenigOH View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimWenigOH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 5:00am
I don't use or need them on my White no-till planter. I plant into previous crop residue with cover crops. Need to make sure the openers are in good shape though. I also use row cleaners to move most of the residue aside in front of the openers.
cwhit View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cwhit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 5:35am
We have a 12/23 Kinze and removed all of them. Don’t no till much but where we do doesn’t bother it at all.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 7:21am
There are at least three different types of NoTill coulters.  Two inch wave.....one inch wave.....and one inch bubble.  All of them are NOT high speed attachments, because they tend to throw dirt out from the seed trench. Speeds need to be kept somewhat down, like less than 4 mph.. The wider the coulter, the worse the problem. The wetter the soil, the worse the problem. The one inch bubble is my preference because it cuts thru trash better and has the least amount of soil throwing.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 7:39am
Originally posted by DrAllis DrAllis wrote:

There are at least three different types of NoTill coulters.  Two inch wave.....one inch wave.....and one inch bubble.  All of them are NOT high speed attachments, because they tend to throw dirt out from the seed trench. Speeds need to be kept somewhat down, like less than 4 mph.. The wider the coulter, the worse the problem. The wetter the soil, the worse the problem. The one inch bubble is my preference because it cuts thru trash better and has the least amount of soil throwing.
Well said.  Planting is no place to be setting speed records.  The only thing I would add, is make sure you have good closing wheels too.
tomstractorsandtoys View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomstractorsandtoys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 8:18am
You are either planting way to wet which will cause the seed trench to open up as the soil dries out or you need different closing wheels or need more pressure on the closing wheels. I have heard of people no tilling without the coulters and doing a good job. Tom
Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 3:20pm
You need the coulters or row cleaners on there if you're no tilling. The opener will have a tough time cutting through corn stalks or wads of bean residue.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by Allis dave Allis dave wrote:

You need the coulters or row cleaners on there if you're no tilling. The opener will have a tough time cutting through corn stalks or wads of bean residue.

We have the row cleaners( my fault for not specifying) and in my original post(don't know if you read it) we are min-til. We normally don't plant into such damp soil but maybe some of you don't recall the planting conditions 340 days ago?? Thanks for the replies though.
Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2019 at 7:01am
I'm not sure what you meant by min-til. I'd guess that means you run a vt over it a couple times?

I know what you mean about the wet ground! The Kinziw with ripple coulters I drive for beans is the same as a 7000. I don't remember the coulter waves in the ground, but I have trouble getting the trench to close sometimes.
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 4:39am
For no-till or any other planting practices, REMOVE NO-TILL COULTERS.
Yes, residue managers help remove potential hair pinning of stalk residue into seed furrow.
Like some others already stated, a good sharp pair of furrow double disc openers will suffice. NOTE: Before planting season, do the business card trick to know if disc are too worn or require shimming.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8OL19cUOgJw
Now take the money you’d used to buy no-till coulters & buy a complete set of Keeton SEED FIRMERS. These offer a more consistent seed depth in furrow.
If your planter’s double disc openers are sharp & shimmed correctly, they’ll cut an even seed furrow into consistent soil moisture. No-till coulters can mix top surface dryer soil into moister soils & allow seeds less contact with even soil moisture in furrow. Make every seed count!

Edited by AC7060IL - 19 Apr 2019 at 4:45am
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 8:33am
Originally posted by FREEDGUY FREEDGUY wrote:

We have the row cleaners( my fault for not specifying) and in my original post(don't know if you read it) we are min-til. We normally don't plant into such damp soil but maybe some of you don't recall the planting conditions 340 days ago?? Thanks for the replies though.
They're a lot like the ones shaping up 25 days from now!Censored
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by Tbone95 Tbone95 wrote:

They're a lot like the ones shaping up 25 days from now!Censored

Sadly I have a bad feeling about a "repeat" after seeing the 15 day 'cast Cry
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 10:23pm
The guys at New Ag Talk say get rid of coulters and advise use of trash whippers.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 10:28pm
In certain hard soil no-til conditions, the lack of a no-til coulter will cause a lot more wear on disc openers by themselves.
CBnwo View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CBnwo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2019 at 6:50pm
I farm some ground that wouldn’t let just the disc openers do the job.... but we’ve never seen an issue with the no till coulters
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2019 at 6:10pm
I was able to get into the barn yesterday(Easter Sunday)and got hibernating engines fired up for the first time since mid-November and took a glance at what would be involved with removing the entire N/T coulter assembly. Sadly it is NOT as straight forward as I had hoped, the aftermarket row cleaners are attached to the coulter arms Cry. I suppose I could remove the coulters from their "arms"??
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2019 at 3:32am
I have them for my 6 row, but have never used them.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2019 at 6:46am

I was able to get into the barn yesterday(Easter Sunday)and got hibernating engines fired up for the first time since mid-November and took a glance at what would be involved with removing the entire N/T coulter assembly. Sadly it is NOT as straight forward as I had hoped, the aftermarket row cleaners are attached to the coulter arms Cry. I suppose I could remove the coulters from their "arms"??
Yeah, you should be able to just remove the "axle" bolt and leave the arms there....
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2019 at 6:09pm
Thanks Tbone
otis3 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otis3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2019 at 9:22pm
i have notilled lots in the past.a mistake a lot of people make,me too till i learned the hard way,coulters should not go any deeper than your going to plant.maybe shallow by half inch or three eights of plant depth.
fourthgeneration View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fourthgeneration Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2019 at 5:37pm
We have soil that works without coulters but we have soil that new openers will not penatrate to the proper depth without. We have a 6606 and I alway lift the bean units up when planting corn.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic