This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My First Tractor! D17... But which series?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2021 at 8:01am
anything related to tires and rims is a lot of dirty/ hard work... Looks like your well on your way with the repairs.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Sponsored Links

Strokendiesel002 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strokendiesel002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2021 at 10:52am
Agreed Steve!

I have to admit, after the pulls and mounting the loader frame back onto the tractor I just swung into the tire shop to have them pull out my damaged tube and install a new one. it's still holding haha!

I've nearly completed the loader frame quick attach and will upload some pics of that soon. Need to burn a couple tabs to hold the pins, replace and install some new zerks, paint it and I can call it good for now. Already thinking about how I can set up remote actuated locking pins. Seen it done with hydraulics and also with electric servo... it'd sure up the convenience factor!
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strokendiesel002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2021 at 10:56pm
Her it is!

I'd have liked it to open a little further, but it'll work just fine :)

Pretty nice tonight - moved a pallet of goodies, left the forks with the pallet, grabbed the bucket and I broke not a drop of sweat! I am very excited
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strokendiesel002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2022 at 12:16am
One year later and Allis is still helping with projects and good times!

Thank you to Steve@B&B for all new wiring and the alternator. I went with the heavy duty key and he was kind enough to add a couple extra circuits for lights I plan to add. Switched to his alternator and was able to use the upper adjusting bracket. Initially I tried using one of the bottom brackets flipped around, but it had a lot of wiggle, so I made up a bracket out of some flat stock and all is well now

Went to a couple more pulls last year and first of this year last weekend, always a fun time! May even make it to two more this weekend.

Think I'm going to pick up a few more hydraulic quick connects to make removing the loader lift arms easier. Also need to adjust the quick attach latches as I pop the bucket off when back dragging. They go a little too far past "lock" and the locks actually start to come back up.

Hope you all are well and thank you again to all that have helped!
jeickman01 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeickman01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2022 at 9:33am
Once you get it running and are able to confirm you have a good drive train you may want to think about your endpoint in the project.  You want to sell it simply as a running tractor. If you are planning on a full restoration, you'll probably have more invested in it than if you were to buy one in good shape and leave it in its "work clothes".  I bought a Series III and probably have more in it at this point than what a Series IV would have cost me.  
jeickman01 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeickman01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2022 at 9:45am
Oops, my mistake.  I read only the first page of posts from back in 2019 before I posted my previous comment.  Looks like you have done a very good job on this one.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strokendiesel002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2023 at 12:45pm
Hi All!

Hope everyone is doing well. I took the whole loader frame off to try and balance it out better for pulling and it worked! 285' then as life happens, I missed the next couple pulls and as it's about to heat up again I thought I'd put the loader back on this morning.

Got to trimming the grass around it and activated a swarm of ground bees, but I'd luckily already pulled the tractor away from the loader frame which is hanging on a gantry. Was pretty disappointed until I remembered I had a new fan belt to put on!

Man, I don't know if they're all this way or if the 4 hole crank pulleys are different, but what a project to get the belt changed out! Had to remove the front shroud and loosen the 2 lower radiator bolts, lift the front end up and then loosen the 4 front bolster bolts enough to slide it forward a 1/4" to get the fan belts off and back on!

Happy Labor Day!
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2023 at 10:30pm
Took me 5 minutes to put 2 new Gates belts on my series I D17 diesel yesterday. Fan shroud is quite tight at the fan blades, found a sweet spot on the left side to navigate the belts around the fan blades. But I don’t have a pump hanging out the front either lol.
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strokendiesel002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2023 at 7:27am
Ok, so it's likely the pulley then!

I had already removed the prop shaft for the pump, but... I'm suspecting that the 4 bolt pulley is maybe a little longer than the one that came on this originally.

I'm glad it went smooth for you and thank you for sharing!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic