This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

weight transfer hitches

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: weight transfer hitches
    Posted: 10 Mar 2019 at 10:18pm
anybody use one? are they worth the cost?
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
Sponsored Links

SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2019 at 10:23pm
ON WHAT????  If you're talkin camper bumper hitch...you want one. It will keep you in control .Down right dangerous without one if you have any weight to deal with. Probably don't need it with that lil pop up.

Edited by SteveM C/IL - 10 Mar 2019 at 10:25pm
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2019 at 10:37pm
Hi Steve. I don't have a camper, but I do, and have, for quite a many years pulled a 7k and 10k flatbeds and never had any trouble, IF I got my load right. I confess to having come close to meeting my creator on one or two occasions in my formative years learning how important getting the load balanced actually was.

Oh, and I use a one to p/u
Wait for the Lord;
truckerfarmer View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truckerfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 6:45am
If I read your last post right, you are using a 1 ton pickup as your pulling rig, you shouldn't need one. As you have already learned, loading the trailer properly eliminates the need for one.
Now this is the truck driver side of me coming out. I understand weight transfer and GVWR more than most people. And I'm sure there will be others that will say they're the greatest thing since sliced bread. But, in my opinion, they are one of the worst things ever dreamed up. All they do is allow you to pull a load your vehicle was not designed to handle. If you need one of these hitches you are probably exceeding the tongue weight rating of your vehicle. And if improperly adjusted can be dangerous. Have heard of people setting them to high and actually taking to much weight off of rear axle and things getting squirrelly.
Looking at the past to see the future.
'53 WD, '53 WD45, WD snap coupler field cultivator, #53 plow,'53 HD5B dozer

Duct tape.... Can't fix stupidity. But will muffle the sound of it!
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 7:37am
I use one to pull our travel trailer but other than that, as long as you pay attention when you're loading, you shouldn't need one. The only reason I use one with the travel trailer is the wind blowing it around
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 8:14am
I would also say if you have a 1 ton pickup, you shouldn't need one. 
TimNearFortWorth View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimNearFortWorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 10:15am
If it makes you feel safer, do it.
Myself, I tend to think real good about the age of my 2500HD2WD gasser as no matter how much a fella takes care of maintaining the trailer, "that other half" of the equation gets a little more sloppy on the truck suspension over time, I know mine has on the rear leaf spring bushings.
Had a fella chuckle when I loaded the D19D on level ground and used a tape measure on the trailer front beam before and after a few years back. Major difference by moving the tractor just 6" back and forth on the gooseneck. Nice ride for 1800 miles behind the Cummins and pulled like a dream all the way; 6,750 tractor weight after draining the rear fluid and she had 3 front stack weights, 14K gross low deck gooseneck.
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 10:16am
I use one on my camper. I tow a 7500 Lb camper with a 3/4 ton suburban. I have tow the same camper with a one ton dually without the hitch. I prefer the suburban with a hitch. campers have a high profile and are greatly affected by the wind. my flat trailer with a WD45 on it is about 7000 lbs and I don't know its back there. campers are tall and light. you need all the help you can get. you need to disconnect the weight distribution when you get off the road or you'll bend the bars.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 11:39am
Highly reccomended if you tow heavir loads - in fact in some areas they are required if trailer load exceeds a weight . Sure wish i had mine on when made a trip to TX and hauled a pickup back on my trailer - had problem getting weight right so truck would handle without sway in any wind .
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 11:56am
No need for them! Load your trailer properly and don't overload it and you will be fine! Them things will and have killed people!---don't fall for thinking you need one!
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 12:32pm
This is one of those always contentious topics.  People certainly have their strong opinions about them. 

To Lou, when you said in your second post about almost meeting your creator figuring out how to balance your load, what were you doing wrong?  Not enough tongue weight so you couldn't brake well enough or have control?  The hitch can be made to do that way too easily. 

It is like many things, when used incorrectly, can be dangerous.  When used properly, it's a good tool.

Back in the 70's, Dad drove the family around 1000's of miles, including the Rocky Mountains, pulling a 28 foot travel trailer loaded to the gills with a CAR!

Edited by Tbone95 - 11 Mar 2019 at 12:34pm
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by Tbone95 Tbone95 wrote:

This is one of those always contentious topics.  People certainly have their strong opinions about them. 

To Lou, when you said in your second post about almost meeting your creator figuring out how to balance your load, what were you doing wrong?  Not enough tongue weight so you couldn't brake well enough or have control?  The hitch can be made to do that way too easily. 

It is like many things, when used incorrectly, can be dangerous.  When used properly, it's a good tool.

Back in the 70's, Dad drove the family around 1000's of miles, including the Rocky Mountains, pulling a 28 foot travel trailer loaded to the gills with a CAR!

Getting the weight too far fore or aft, but mostly too far forward..

I've never pulled a camper, but given my experience in wind with the company Transit 150, I'll bet the camper is a laugh a minuet! LOL
Wait for the Lord;
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 8:04am

Yeah, campers in a cross wind is a serious treat!  Pulled a 31 foot several times.  It actually belongs to my parents, but I've pulled it with them, for them, and have used it for my family some.  Nice feeling when a semi blows by you too.  Latest tow vehicle is a 3/4 ton.  Not much weight transfer is needed, but we still put just a little bit into the hitch.  A sway brake is nice too.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic