This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Should I just buy it???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Should I just buy it???
    Posted: 10 Mar 2019 at 9:20pm
Ok so heres the back story....

My ol truck is getting old. Had it for years and lots of miles now under its hood. My sweetie pie has been after me to get new wheels...or something nicer anyways.

So here's my thought. A convertible. Yep, my price range for a newer car is around 6-8k. Not much but I can work with that and it gets me to work no problem. And keep my old truck for when I need it (hauling dead deer and the lawn mower and whatever baby needs hauled).

So why a convertible??? So we can have fun on the weekends. Drop the top, sun on your back and wind in your hair. Sounds good to me anyways. Drive to the lakeshore and wherever lazy summer days take us. My girl loves beach days. Also, I want this car to be about everyone else. Not just me. I want to throw the keys at my dad and say "Go take mom out for an ice cream". Or stop by and pick up grandma or grandpa, and take a drive. Something they will enjoy too. A fun car.

So I found one I like. Pontiac Solstice. It's not big, it's not burn the rubber off your tires fast. But It looks fun. And I love how the styling looks like a corvettes little brother. I am looking at the turbo charged GXP version.

That's what I been thinking. Fits into my budget too...I just figure anymore life is too short not to have fun. What would you do?
Galatians 5:22-24

"I got a pig at home in a pen and corn to feed him on, All I need is a pretty little girl to feed him when I'm gone!"
Sponsored Links

Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2019 at 9:38pm
Well I think all that snow and cold weather has gotten to you. Buy it! You will regret it if you don't. The only drawback is not being really able to enjoy in the winter.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 9:43am
I'd say no but that's coming from a guy that has three covetable taking up room in my shop. When I lived in upper Michigan my convertible sat for 8 months every year.
Alberta Phil View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberta Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 9:44am
Buy it Don.  I and my family have 9 two seater and one four seater convertibles and have been enjoying them for years. I've been driving my '54 MG for 50 years and many thousands of miles both in Canada and U.S.! (Although not very often in the winter!)  Daughter and son-in-law and grand kids all have them.  Good family fun, and yes, it's fun to hand the keys to someone and tell them "take it for a run and have some fun!"
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 12:21pm
You need a Jeep with the removable top.🙂
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 12:23pm
Seems I have my 65 Olds Cutlass Supreme Convert (442 optioned) setting in garage and also it seems about 12 motorcycles also - convert seems to set and some bikes get used more often . 
 Oh and the fishing boat I have been going to use for last 15 years has not seen any water except for when it rains or the snow melts that is in it . 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 12:54pm
What the heck Don, have you ever heard "You're not getting any younger"!
Memories or regrets,,,,,,,,,,,you decide.  Should be an easy decision.

OH,,,,,,,,,,and if you're ever in WI, stop and take me for a ride....
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 1:13pm
funny this should come up...I was wondering if my 58 Willys 4WD PU was still above ground .....then I got thinkin an FC-150 would be a nice ride....

sorry, OTM( Old Timer's Moment)...
Yes BUY it, if you can afford it....
One request, post a picture !

Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 2:35pm
Go for it and keep pickup for winter use.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 11:33pm
yep...Stan is right! I have the Willys Jeep, top off it, and then you can go park where others can't...no one to bother you and might gits sum too!
Calvin Schmidt View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 6:13am
Buy it !!  Pontiac will be a classic someday. Wife said that we needed a more fun car than our 2004 Bonneville GXP went she turned 65 so we looked at a Solstice. Found it a little tight for my 6' body so ended up with an ORANGE 2011 Camaro SS convertible. Old people need to have fun to! 
Nothing is impossible if it is properly financed
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 9:50am
OOoohhhh Calvin, I want one of them!!  And you got the BEST color!
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 11:25pm
When I was in Ohio last summer, I bought my uncles red 1991 Mercury Capri two seater .  He had given it to his daughter but she seldom drove it so she decided to let me have it.  I drove it home and around the neighborhood until the temporary license expired.  Looking forward to cruising around this coming summer.
So, my advice is BUY IT! 
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 8:56am
my old lady spotted one of them Pontiac roadsters at a dealer in IA one day. we stopped and I climbed in, but then I couldn't gits back out of it. had to kinda fall over and the pull my self out, the salesman was laughing his... off! they sure are cool looking!
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 9:31am
2007 Solstice

1991 Capri
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 10:32am
You'll need a wind screen behind the seats or it will be an uncomfortable ride.  Personelly I would never buy a car with a turbo.  Just too much to go wrong.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 11:47am
gee shamey I was thinking the same thing, cept I'd NEVER be able to get out unless forklift was overhead to pull me up !!

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by chaskaduo chaskaduo wrote:

2007 Solstice

1991 Capri
Farmer added roll bar problem solved.WinkLOLLOL Or we need to add the push up seat from your super recliner too.Wink Old guys just need to be more resourceful.Wink
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 1:29pm
Yup, that's my Capri, except for the custom wheels and spoiler.  Fun little car to drive but I sure missed cruse control on the trip home, my foot was killing me by the time I got home.

Those Solstice and the Saturn version are nice cars.  They used high pressure water to form the body panels.  Should become a collector's item.

Edited by JohnCO - 13 Mar 2019 at 1:32pm
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 2:12pm
When I still wrenched for a living had a old customer sold off his farm right in the heart of St. Peters MO, BIG $$$$$$$. Bought he and his missus one of the New at the time Dodge Viper, he drove it in for us to service as he did not like the customer service at the dealer. That was one of those I could get in but had to fall out to get out of. Could always tell as they arrived, major wheel burnout, then all you could hear was the cackling from he and his wife as they laughed so hard. Got the seventh ticket at eight months, traded it in on a new dodge pickup his wife could drive as he had lost his license, had gotten his last ticket going for BBQ in KC, was just under three hours as he drove.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic